Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

I am not commenting on how well the utility companies have coped because I do not know the scale of the damage. There has been plenty of fairly general reporting on the BBC website, though. However, I would point out two things.

First, the infrastructure would have ben inherited by the current commercial companies from the CEGB and the publicly owned regional electricity suppliers. So it may be unfair to complain about lack of resilience as though it is purely the fault of "commercial companies". (Think of the overhead supplies provided for the ECML by a nationalised industry.)

Secondly, I have no idea of the amount of work needed to get the system working again, but if extensive numbers of power lines and/or pylons have been blown down in hilly, rural areas it will take a lot of work to get things back to normal and need a lot of equipment and skilled staff to do the work. Very different from doing the same in the Thames valley where access would be easier and probably more staff available. Also, there will not be the same number of alternative supply routes as in much more heavily populated areas.

That said, I feel for those affected.

Jonathan

PS Remember that because of the price cap those electricity companies are probably supplying electricity at a loss at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Back on topic. I was interested to see the railcar on the Severn Valley line. As far as I remember it has never been in operating during my numerous visits. Mostly at least 5-coach trains. I would have loved to have travelled on it. 

Any idea where it is now?

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Back on topic. I was interested to see the railcar on the Severn Valley line. As far as I remember it has never been in operating during my numerous visits. Mostly at least 5-coach trains. I would have loved to have travelled on it. 

Any idea where it is now?

Jonathan

Is that the one at Didcot. Sadly just too small for us to operate, but sad it is not there?

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly, it’s incredibly sad that so many people are still without electricity. I sincerely hope they will be reconnected very quickly. 

Now those Severn Valley Railway photo’s are simply superb, and in C2047, at Hampton Loade, with 2MT, 46521, on a Bridgnorth to Bewdley service in May, 1975, the whistle and red backed smokebox door numberplate both add up to make the engine look quite different.

Now for the Rugby photo’s from the early 1950’s. Thanks to the big book by Hugh Longworth, British Railways, Pre Nationalisation Coaching Stock, Vol 1, GWR & LNER, on page 369, the details of the first coach in JVol2094, with a 4f on a down ECS, c1952, is a former GNR Gresley diagram GN175, Vestibule Brake Composite, 58’ 6” x 8’ 6”, with 8 first class seats, and 24 third class seats and two toilets. It was built at Doncaster, 1908/09, and will be one of the following:

E43114/5/9/20/21/22E. It appears all had been withdrawn by January, 1956, except for E43115 which transferred to departmental stock in January, 1957 as DE320414. I hope this is all of some help.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s of Newcastle Central station, and in C11652, with class 43 power car, 43117, leading a HST from Edinburgh to Kings Cross, on the 17th February, 1989, you can see just how good the Swallow livery was, and they way it contrasts with the shiny rails. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most interesting selection of photo’s of Carlisle. In C14525, of 86418, on a down freight train, on the 30th May, 1990, you can see how the two buffers are greased differently. I wonder if that would be from the way it had hauled an earlier train, or whether they had been treated differently from each other? 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

1128157290_Carlisle86405PlymouthtoAberdeenMay90J10963.jpg.1ecb050db9ac858c199b2161cdb2ad07.jpg

Carlisle 86405 Plymouth to Aberdeen  May 90 J10963

There are so many excuses in that photo for your model. I'm thinking you dropped your class 86 and it bounced off the platform canopy and flattened a BRUTE or two.

You've ended up with a wonky canopy, two cut down BRUTEs, and an 86 with a damaged jumper cable and a non-working marker light....

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland from around the Longhirst area, to the north of Morpeth. In C9006, with 43067 leading a down HST on the 17th August, 1987, I’m sure I can see a small dent in the lower bodyside of the power car.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

I find it difficult to accept that those photos of the Class 91s were taken not far off 30 years ago. They only seem to have arrived a few months ago.

I wish they had! C18547 was taken on my 35th birthday.  :(  Who's for the scrapyard first?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Great photos again.

I find it difficult to accept that those photos of the Class 91s were taken not far off 30 years ago. They only seem to have arrived a few months ago.

Jonathan 

And to think they are still thought of as modern image by modellers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive selection of photo’s on the Rhatische Bahn in Switzerland. All so scenic and does indeed make such a change from dark, dank England. In C17148, at Preda, with Ge4/4ii, 633, on a St Moritz to Chur service, on the 29th July, 1992, you have captured a superb three quarter’s front view of the locomotive, and also you can see some mountains towering above everything in the distance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of photo’s of Stocksfield from on the Newcastle to Carlisle line. In J13668, with 60059, on an up limestone train to Redcar, in January, 1993, your Dad has captured a great view of the 60 at the head of that train. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1