s class saddle tank?

• RMweb Premium

Is my ageing memory playing tricks on me or am I right in thinking that Triang did a clockwork as well as 12v DC version of this loco?

They did, the clockwork version was R151 http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/saddleC.html

I think the clockwork version came out first, then the electric version, but I can't find the exact introduction dates at the moment.

• 1 year later...

To resurrect an old thread, I've finally acquired a Tri-ang body to fit the chassis I've had for ages. It's a bit beat up, which is not a problem, as I intend to do a reconstruction and produce something a bit more like a S class. The first problem is that the magnet of her X.04 motor just fits in the smokebox, so any attempt at lowering the body height is going to require a different motor.   :(

Possibly the puny looking thing fitted to Hornby 0-6-0s will fit?

Incidently, the pre-release catalogue picture of the model shows separate splashers, rather than single splashers that actually appeared.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Do keep us posted. I would be very interested in what you do to it.

Gary

Will do, but there will be a bit of delay while I decide what to do exactly and sort out the Dublo N2 rolling chassis that arrived today. (6 of them - though some may donate wheels to other models. The 'S' possibly being one of them.)

One of the problems is just how far to go, as an exact model can only be produced, by binning (or flogging on eBay) Tri-ang's effort and starting from scratch.

However as a first shot, I think that a large chunk has to be removed from under the tank and new splashers made, also some correction is needed to the cab and bunker.

I am undecided what to do about the motor. Possibly reversing the chassis to put it under the saddle tank and in the cab is the answer. I thought about a whole new chassis, but that would rather defeat the purpose of using the Tri-ang model.

At present she is operational - typical Tri-ang 'bat out of hell' flat out, but she will run at a much more reasonable pace under the control of my H &M Powermaster. First step is fit some Peco/HD couplings to couple to my other stock

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Two years on, progress has been zero. Part of the problem has been that I split the sections of the body and the obvious happened. Recently I located the errant part and now she is all in one piece again.

I did find some vital information :

This means that the Tri-ang mechanism is just as (un)suitable for this as it is for the LMS 3F it was designed for (i.e. 2mm too short!), but is the wrong way round for the S class. Reversing it will solve that and the smokebox full of motor problem*. The next step will be to remove about 5mm from the bottom of the boiler saddle/skirt area and then manufacture some new splashers. the overall height of the saddle tank will need reducing and the cab reshaping and reducing in height as well. Proper handrails are then a necessity. Whether any more work is worthwhile is dubious.

*Fitting the later Hornby chassis would keep the cab free of motor and kerb her enthusiasm for emulating a jet aircraft. (28:1 is still too low for the Tri-ang motor but better than the original 20:1.)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Apologies for a late entry to this topic - of interest to me as I had the clockwork loco in my first trainset. The loco had green plastic upperworks and black footplate and smokebox. I note a query about dates so perhaps this would be of interest? I was given the trainset as a Christmas present, but it was withheld after a fractious episode until I was 4 (1961). So the 2 tone clockwork loco was definitely around in December 1960.

The set comprised the loco, 2 short bogie coaches in maroon plastic, and a circle of series 3 track (black sleeper base).

Artless. 

Edited by Artless Bodger
Wrong date, corrected to 1960.