Guest nzflyer

Guest nzflyer

Bonjour  :sungum:

I am making an enquiry as I need some Italian/German/French railway wagons to run on an OO gauge layout. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this (any suggestions to where I may get help would be much appreciated :superman: ). I am thinking if I try and remove the wheelsets and replace them with British OO gauge ones, they might work but would the body of the carriage be too narrow? i am asking this before I attempt any surgical maneuvers on any railway wagons! 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated   :danced:

I'm a little unclear on this?  HO track is the same gauge as OO.  You don't have to do anything to the wheelsets as the back-to-back measurement is directly compatible.

OO trains effectively run on HO track which is a scale 6-inches too narrow for their 1:76 bodies.  HO is correct width for HO models which are to 1:87 scale.

• RMweb Premium

As Chard has said, no need to change any wheels.

Your continental wagons will be (strictly speaking) too small against your UK OO stock, but in real life UK stock is smaller than continental stock. This means that your rather too small continental wagons will probably not look much out of place. Unless of course someone gets a ruler out and tries measuring them!!

As Chard has said, no need to change any wheels.

Your continental wagons will be (strictly speaking) too small against your UK OO stock, but in real life UK stock is smaller than continental stock. This means that your rather too small continental wagons will probably not look much out of place. Unless of course someone gets a ruler out and tries measuring them!!

With the proviso that pre WW2 French and Italian stock was relatively small, in comparison to the post-war stuff, so would still look too small. Not that much would have escaped the tender mercies of the RAF...

What would be interesting is to see the van body that was fitted to these ( http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerhopper21ton/h6f01d2cf#h6f01d2cf ) chassis for use in Egypt. Apparently, the Ministry of Supply ordered large numbers of these chassis, to be kitted out with van bodies and sent to France in 1939/40. In the event, France fell before they were sent; most chassis ended up under LNER hoppers, whilst some finished vans went to Egypt. I have seen a photo of one of the ones that did reach France, but it was on a photo site that's disappeared.

To give you an idea of Italian types, have a look here:- http://www.trenomania.org/fotogallery/index.php?cat=38 . A lot of these types lasted a long time after WW2.

I have heard of few HO continental wagons that are on the "generously nourished" side and may not look too bad on 4mm layout.

One is the Lima UIC open a standard post WW2 design that looks noticably longer stood next to Kleinbahn one. However apart from some Belgian examples I've not seen any pics of them in the UK.

Speaking of Belgium, some SNCB ferry vans bore a passing resemblance to the BR equivalent, I've no idea where decals could be sourced.

The other suggestion I'd make is the Electrotren Transfesa slide side 4 wheeler, Stephen Dale's Euram model railways site has an article on cutting it down to HO, as he reckons it's too tall.

Have you seen "International Train Ferry Wagons" by David Ratclffe (Ian Allen) that would give some pointers as to what might be appropriate.

Hope this is of some help

Nick

Guest nzflyer

With the proviso that pre WW2 French and Italian stock was relatively small, in comparison to the post-war stuff, so would still look too small. Not that much would have escaped the tender mercies of the RAF...

What would be interesting is to see the van body that was fitted to these ( http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerhopper21ton/h6f01d2cf#h6f01d2cf ) chassis for use in Egypt. Apparently, the Ministry of Supply ordered large numbers of these chassis, to be kitted out with van bodies and sent to France in 1939/40. In the event, France fell before they were sent; most chassis ended up under LNER hoppers, whilst some finished vans went to Egypt. I have seen a photo of one of the ones that did reach France, but it was on a photo site that's disappeared.

To give you an idea of Italian types, have a look here:- http://www.trenomania.org/fotogallery/index.php?cat=38 . A lot of these types lasted a long time after WW2.

This is actually what I am modelling....a railway set in the Western Desert during the Second World War. British and French/Italian wagons are running together on OO gauge track. Thanks for this!

• RMweb Premium

You might find this useful >>

Useful shots of brake vans 3:18 to 3:28, looks as if some old style tank wagons with slightly larger tanks would fit the bill, also some of the vans look like GWR iron minks.

The diesel in the first few frames looks to be an American-built Whitcomb; this were used quite a lot around the Med, with examples surviving in service with FS until within the last decade or so. The other diesel (the one on its side) looks very much like an Italian design.

The tanks do indeed look like British-designed ones; perhaps the 20t by Hornby might do, though would need repainting. Black tanks would not be a Good Idea in that sun.

The brake van looks like one of the short-wheelbase LNER, though the LSWR had similar ones.

The steel-plated ends on vans look like an Italian design.

• 1 month later...

The loco is indeed a Whitcomb, pity there is no model of it. The loco on its side looks like a German one to me.

I know of one preserved Whitcomb. It's in France on the Chemin de Fer de la Vallee de l'Eure (CFVE) based at Pacy south of Rouen and I've travelled behind it (The CFVE uses part of the same line that was used to film much of "The Train" but a few kms further south). There are almost bound to be others. At least one French modeller has converted the Bachmann GE44 http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13620&start=15  into the Europeanised version of the Whitcomb which I think is the same as the type used in the middle east. I think the body is also available in resin in its original American form which should be fairly easy to ft with buffers etc. .

I'm pretty sure the German loco on its side is a V20. The V36 was a bit bulkier and had a different radiator but they were quite similar and both were used in large numbers by the Wehrmacht and then by many railways.  I've got Lima's model of a V20 in Ep III SNCF livery as DE20002 but it was (is?) available in other liveries including Wehrmacht. 

Archived