Swad Lane.

Andrew P

Had plenty disruption in life this year with a house move etc but Swad Lane is still set up and I just need to find some time to operate or start making any small adjustments.

I was looking at how to get a three coach train in the station last night and if I change just one section of the central bridge I could lengthen the platform to continue under it. I don't want to change too much. The loco would need released as no run round which would seem unlikely for a one platform station, except for the fact there's an 08 permanently at the wagon works next door.

If I can suss out a dual braked BG I'll have 3 three coach rakes, if not then just two. I have a pair of 101's and a 108 too so my passengers will be well served!

I'm also umming and ahhhing about making the baseboard frames deeper to accomodate some tortoises I already have that were for another layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Norm81 said:

If I can suss out a dual braked BG I'll have 3 three coach rakes, if not then just two. I have a pair of 101's and a 108 too so my passengers will be well served!

Hi Norman,

Nice to see a comment and trust that you are now settled after the move.  

I used classes 153 and 150 for passengers so not three and initially the ones used were DC until modified for DCC.

To get 3 coaches? the fiddle yard is not quite 4' long - would the extra inches to make it 4' be enough? and perhaps the station entrance could be moved to the end of the board at the shed end off scene ...bottom right coloured in picture might just allow three coaches.  The fiddle yard might then could take a 3 coach on the station side and a 2 or DMU on the next line in - in that way you could still use the point.  Just a thought.  If you modified with tortoise points to fit the cradle the background scenery would need to be lowered. 

Hope that helps, cheers, Peter

IMGP1337 - Mod 4 3 coaches.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, PeterBB said:

I used classes 153 and 150 for passengers so not three and initially the ones used were DC until modified for DCC.

To get 3 coaches? the fiddle yard is not quite 4' long - would the extra inches to make it 4' be enough? and perhaps the station entrance could be moved to the end of the board at the shed end off scene ...bottom right coloured in picture might just allow three coaches.  The fiddle yard might then could take a 3 coach on the station side and a 2 or DMU on the next line in - in that way you could still use the point.  Just a thought.  If you modified with tortoise points to fit the cradle the background scenery would need to be lowered. 

Hi Peter,

I have a million and one jobs as changing houses creates, but all the really urgent jobs are now completed thanks.

I can just get a 37 +3 in the fiddle yard but fouling the point, so would have to remove loco or last coach to clear it once in the fiddle yard which is no big hardship really. For the platform I was eyeing up moving the bridge pier back at the other end (as the shed end is really nicely modelled) to run the platform under it. As hopefully the attached photo shows in the red box.

I think changing the height of the cradle to clear the increased frame height would be the modification if it was to travel again, we already discovered it didn't fit my car as was. I thought about it and I cannot justify compromising our next choice of car for 11 months of the year to suit the possibility it may get invited to an exhibition a weekend or two. So it would be hire of a small van I think, even if I split the costs in half it would be cheaper for me than having the bigger car the rest of the time.

I'm nowhere near capable of putting a show on yet either plus would need to find some assistance, it's just for me to enjoy at home for the time being.

Thanks,

Norman.

swad_lane.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Norman,

Yes, the fiddle yard point would not have been cleared by the 2'8"? currently available on the fiddle yard.  

For a moment I thought "Change the height of the cradle?' then no way as I remembered packing it into your car.  I had to keep the 308SW (the cradle height of 87cm was specific for it) as I found that all the 'modern estates' were the shape of glorified hatchbacks!  still have it.  Apart from my Rothleigh and Swithmore (spelling of both changed because it is based but not prototype and on here as Rothleigh but nothing done for ages on it since ripping up what was there). 

I have decided that I will not in future model wider than 18" as a 24" layout is expensive on wood because the cradle requires 6'X3' rather than 4'X2' and overall becomes too wide for the stock boxes to go beside it in the car.

Since Swad Lane I have built two small DC N-gauge layouts - one of them in a recycled wooden gun-box with a 3-platform station and 4 track yard, that was a challenge but works on a single power connection between the two, with everything contained, the stock box (only short locos and 2 coaches max and some wagons) fixed to the lid that also acts as the 'lid stop' to level the lid with the base when open, and there are 38 people on it.  It was fun and granddaughter loves it. 

Hope it goes well, Peter

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:30, PeterBB said:

IMGP1337 - Mod 4 3 coaches.jpg

Looks very nice setup here!!:senile:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

(Posted to wrong thread!)

Sorry about that but you have reminded me of the layout that gave me many hours of pleasure adding a fiddle yard and cameos as well as running at exhibitions.  Happy New Year to you.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1