Swad Lane.

Andrew P

O.K. in my opening gambit one thing I mentioned was the state of the wiring, and that's the first thing to address.

All the existing wiring will be removed, I will then have a better idea of what's what.

I will concentrate on the track to begin with, and once that's wired and tested then it will be the points.

Next will be the Signal and Buffer Lights and lastly the Street Lamps and Van Head Lights.

Here is what I have at the moment.

post-9335-0-79975700-1399307073_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-68190700-1399307084_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01149800-1399307094_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85143200-1399307101_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62319500-1399307105_thumb.jpg

And the Control panel which I probably wont use anyway.

post-9335-0-53807000-1399307113_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the quality as the first few were taken with the board up side down.

Just need to.

Un Bodge :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

My advice with using an accessory module is to provide a seperate power supply to the module to drive the point motors if you can it avoids putting too much drain on the main DCC supply.  You may be alright on a small layout but if you are using sound etc. the demands on the supply can be quite high ( odd diseasels ticking over on shed etc.). If you are using Cobalts or Tortoise the current demand is low and a seperate supply is not needed. I suspect you have a old transformer/controller somewhere.

Don

My advice with using an accessory module is to provide a seperate power supply to the module to drive the point motors if you can it avoids putting too much drain on the main DCC supply.  You may be alright on a small layout but if you are using sound etc. the demands on the supply can be quite high ( odd diseasels ticking over on shed etc.). If you are using Cobalts or Tortoise the current demand is low and a seperate supply is not needed. I suspect you have a old transformer/controller somewhere.

Don

Cheers Don, I have a Gaugemaster T1 with the normal 16v AC out, I have this in a seperate box and just plug into the baseboard so that I can use it on any Layout at any time. I have used it befoe now come to think of it with the Peco Motors and the GM accessory decoder.

This will save replacing all the point motors and I can use the 7 TT300 motors I have  (at £22.50 each) for TLGP.

Thanks Don.

SORTED. :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

O.K. in my opening gambit one thing I mentioned was the state of the wiring, and that's the first thing to address.

All the existing wiring will be removed, I will then have a better idea of what's what.

I will concentrate on the track to begin with, and once that's wired and tested then it will be the points.

Next will be the Signal and Buffer Lights and lastly the Street Lamps and Van Head Lights.

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 001.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 003.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 004.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 005.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 006.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 007.JPG

Sorry about the quality as the first few were taken with the board up side down.

Just need to.

Hi Bodge

It reminds me of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--erJSsmraY

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 001.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 003.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 004.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 005.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 006.JPG

attachicon.gifOriginal Wiring 007.JPG

Just need to.

Hi Andy,

That resembles Chocolate Block Bolognaise, lovely

Hi and evening all, I have managed to sort out the track wiring this evening and had my first Loco running all over the Main Board.

There are just 3 end on feeds so that was easy, but I may just and put some extra feeds in later as with the points, they can only be worked in a set formula for doing the crossover, its no real problem just something I can alter at my leisure later.

Please excuse the big screw in pic 3, all the rest are packed SOMEWHERE.

post-9335-0-13000400-1399324373_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-16696900-1399324397_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-80015600-1399324424_thumb.jpg

Again the white plug is temporary until I have finished testing.

• Like 5

So after tracing some more wires back through the looms, grey to white, back to grey and a blue for the other one, I decerned that they might just be for the lights.

So I very gingerly disconnected one and using the resistor I connected it to the track feed. :no:

You can guess what happened next :O

Well shock and  disbelief :no:

It Worked

I then connected the buffers and the rest of the street lamps.

And BINGO  it worked. :locomotive:

post-9335-0-73773600-1399325149_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02702500-1399325174_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44656100-1399325196_thumb.jpg

So now instead of loads of wires it will be just two to the track feed, and so far two to the controller.

Next job, order the Points accessory Modual tomorrow.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 11

What's going on Andy??? I'm gone building layouts for little layout company and the whole world has gone mad and your buying layouts ??

Has mr bogde gone mad??

Seriously though it does look like a nice layout and I look forward to seeing get your stamp on it

What's going on Andy??? I'm gone building layouts for little layout company and the whole world has gone mad and your buying layouts ??

Has mr bogde gone mad??

Seriously though it does look like a nice layout and I look forward to seeing get your stamp on it

Cheers Neil, it is nice and now that the wiring is almost sorted on the first board I'm a lot happier.

Next big job I guess will be the Kadee Magnets, I have some of the big under track ones. I have tried them under the board, they work but there weak, so its either in track ones like I had on Glen Roy or cut away some baseboard, and hoping not to damage the track or ballast.

Thanks for looking and posting. 

Next big job I guess will be the Kadee Magnets, I have some of the big under track ones. I have tried them under the board, they work but there weak, so its either in track ones like I had on Glen Roy or cut away some baseboard, and hoping not to damage the track or ballast.

Thanks for looking and posting.

Hi Andy, the DCC conversion is progressing nicely. Re the Kadee's, I'd try grinding away some thickness of the baseboard with something like a Dremel (or a small router if you can get one in) from the underside for the magnets. Or you could consider some of the neodymium magnets as used by CambrianCoaster on his layout Pwllheli http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60560-pwllheli-next-stop/?p=950234

which I copied on CQ.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1265432

They're very much less obvious than the between tracks magnets.

Ray.

Edited by tender

Hi Andy, the DCC conversion is progressing nicely. Re the Kadee's, I'd try grinding away some thickness of the baseboard with something like a Dremel (or a small router if you can get one in) from the underside for the magnets. Or you could consider some of the neodymium magnets as used by CambrianCoaster on his layout Pwllheli http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60560-pwllheli-next-stop/?p=950234

which I copied on CQ.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1265432

Ray.

Nice idea Ray, I 'll look into that mate.

Regards to Polly.

which I copied on CQ.

Ray.

Morning Ray, I know I answered this last nigh, but, I've just had a quick look and my Dremel is packed away in a box in storage (I hope) so it will have to be the Stanley Knife and chisel.

Cheers, if all else fails it may have to your other method.

• Like 1

As and when you get the chance can you pop up a bit of the scenery here and there for a look at... :sungum:

Morning Jaz, Yes I will do, the boards on its side at the mo whilst I tidy the wiring up, but yes, I certainly want to add some more of the scenic pics on here.

Morning Andy, the wiring looked like spaghetti (as John Cleese said in an ad. last century!) until you got started! A lesson to anyone starting out. However would you manage to trace a fault in that tangle? Is that a 'loose screw' in post 60? HaHaHa as someone would say!! Have a good day,

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Morning Andy, the wiring looked like spaghetti (as John Cleese said in an ad. last century!) until you got started! A lesson to anyone starting out. However would you manage to trace a fault in that tangle? Is that a 'loose screw' in post 60? HaHaHa as someone would say!! Have a good day,

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Hi Jock, cheers mate, no its not a lose screw, its a much to blooming big screw, and will be changed shortly.

The wiring is now almost sorted, I think I have blown one street lamp and I want to add some Platform Lamps later as well.

Andy

I go away for a week, AND YOU CHEAT :O :o :O  :jester: :jester:

Seriously though. A stunning layout and I am looking forward to seeing your changes. :sungum: :sungum:

Duncan

• Like 2

Andy, suspect we haven't seen you on 'early risers' for a couple of days because you can't actually sleep with all those changes floating around in your head HaHaHa! Still no news on the Bungalow front? Think you might have to 'send the lads round'!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS, if, and only if, you get time can you enlighten me as to how you get all your lovely pictures under the 1MB rule as all my jPegs seem to be too large?

• Like 1

Andy, suspect we haven't seen you on 'early risers' for a couple of days because you can't actually sleep with all those changes floating around in your head HaHaHa! Still no news on the Bungalow front? Think you might have to 'send the lads round'!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS, if, and only if, you get time can you enlighten me as to how you get all your lovely pictures under the 1MB rule as all my jPegs seem to be too large?

Hi Jock,

Just jumping in as Andy must still be in bed! If you have a photo suite program such as photshop (I use Serif photoshop - much cheaper) you select the 'EXPORT' option and reduce the image from whatever it shows, nominally about 2500 down to about 600, then select 'apply' followed by 'Export'. Save this to a new file, I name mine 'Web Ready' then select images from this file to download to RMWeb.

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

I go away for a week, AND YOU CHEAT :O :o :O  :jester: :jester:

Seriously though. A stunning layout and I am looking forward to seeing your changes. :sungum: :sungum:

Duncan

Cheers Duncan, good to see you back mate.

Hi Andy

What's this buying a layout, is this you getting lazy to build your own :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:.

It looks a good you jammy thing  :sungum: I'll be looking forward in seeing it grow.

Morning Ray, yes really lazy at the moment,

Sorting out the House Sale,

Sorting out the traders for the Bungalow if we get it.

Sorting out removals and storage.

Sorting out the Complacency of the Two Estate Agents.

Sorting out storage of my Railway stuff so that it doesn't get mixed with Pickfords stuff. (I cant have the railway stuff back in the new place until the Garage has been built.

And that's another thing I'm sorting.

Sorting out things at the Club.

Sorting out rest and relax time.

So yes, I got a bit lazy and bought a nice little layout, hhahahha

All the best mate.