On Shenston Road. Some recent photos.

Swindon 123

Here are a few more photos, generally of parts of the layout not covered before. First have a look near the station before moving on to some shots of the steelworks.

1813 departs the Up Goods with a loaded coal.

attachicon.gif1813. (SH15-125).jpg

The house backs just out of shot on the left in the previous shot.

attachicon.gifHouse backs. (SH15-123).jpg

The street in front of the houses.

attachicon.gifStreen scene -b. (SH13-112).jpg

A shot of the steelworks from the Blast Furnaces end looking towards the BR Exchange Sidings.

attachicon.gifSteelworks. (SH13-121).jpg

08951 makes its way out of the steelworks complex past the blast furnaces, with a train of BAA/BBA's.

attachicon.gif08951 in Steelworks. (SH18-14).jpg

The blast furnaces.

attachicon.gifBlast furnace. (SH13-126).jpg

08951 enters into the Exchange Sidings.

attachicon.gif08951 in steelworks. (SH18-16).jpg

To finish off with a couple of loco shots, here's D5382 fresh from the paint shops after weathering by Greg.

attachicon.gifD5382. (SH13-96).jpg

attachicon.gifD5382. (SH13-98).jpg

One more to join the Eastwell Ironstone fleet.

Paul J.

Fly tipping at its best - just brilliant,

Ian

• Like 1

I know it's about a railway but "the street in front of the houses", incredible.

I had to point out the baseboard joint to convince my wife it wasn't real.

Can we see it on the exhibition circuit?

Bob

High Guys  

Thanks for the good comments, I must thank Paul for the time and effort he has put in to take the pics and post on RMWEB, my camera and skills are not quite up to it unfortunately.

The layout has a continuous run underneath to ten through sidings so makes it to complicated to exhibit so with this in mind it was built into a purpose built room.

It is still work in progress so as long as I don't get distracted with the latest must have, it may be finished one day!!.Paul has built a couple of superb signals which is the next project to make working, some pics will appear shortly to show his handy work .

It is good to charge up my inspiration by browsing through this website and gazing over some fantastic skills that can be seen on here BCB being just one of many  favourites.It is also good to get positive critique as that can then be used to improve on bits that are lacking, D1007 as example, I spent many a long hour studying photos to get the weathering and battle scars right only to miss the pale grey window surrounds as seen in the pic,fortunately an eagle eyed RMwebber spotted this seen earlier in this thread  I have since put right my omission.

cheers Greg

• Like 4

Excellent stuff.

Any chance of an explanation of the weathering on the BAA/BBA decks? The heat crazed area where the hot coils have been loaded looks just the right of colour looking at photos. I tried to replicate the effect on my rake but I wasn't please d with the outcome and decided to run the train loaded.

Kind regards

Edited by Wayne 37901

Excellent stuff.

Any chance of an explanation of the weathering on the BAA/BBA decks? The heat crazed area where the hot coils have been loaded longkis just the right of colour looking at photos. I tried to replicate the effect on my rake but I wasn't please d with the outcome and decided to run the train loaded.

Kind regards

High Wayne

I weathered the BAA / BBAs using my airbrush and a good pic of the chosen subject.The flooring usually has various white markings to aid loading so I painted them first . To replicate the heat damage I cut out small round stencils and over-sprayed Railmatch light rust after

the wagon had  had  a general brake dust dusting .To finish off I used thin plastic strip painted a rust colour to represent bent loading stanchions and glued them in place to hold the coils and are left in place when running empty as per prototype practice.Paul has taken a

couple of pics and will post them shortly. 

Hope this helps

cheers Greg

Edited by D1047

This has to be one of my favourite models. If I might make one little criticism though; from what I remember of working at BSC Landore in the early 1970s, those ingot moulds would be a bit heavy for a tippler. Ones that size, generally for Plate Mills such as Ravenscraig or Llanwern, would weigh  perhaps 30 tonnes, and so would be delivered on ex-Warflats or Armour wagons. There were some even bigger ones, which had to be sent on Flat WLL wagons; also ex-WD, but fitted with three-axle bogies. These were specific to Ravenscraig, I believe.

I think that Brian is probably correct. Is that one of the Rix Models ingot moulds in the ex-tippler? When I completed the ingot moulds for the BCB project, I calculated that the RT Models large ingot mould represented a prototype mould of around 14 tons weight, the Rix moulds are considerably larger. Nice models of slabbing ingot moulds.

I'm away from home for a week and will measure a Rix Mould up when I get back, should anybody else want to do the calculation, haematite cast iron is around 490lbs per cubic foot.

Of course, 99.99% of the population would neither know or care :)

I think that Brian is probably correct. Is that one of the Rix Models ingot moulds in the ex-tippler? When I completed the ingot moulds for the BCB project, I calculated that the RT Models large ingot mould represented a prototype mould of around 14 tons weight, the Rix moulds are considerably larger. Nice models of slabbing ingot moulds.

I'm away from home for a week and will measure a Rix Mould up when I get back, should anybody else want to do the calculation, haematite cast iron is around 490lbs per cubic foot.

Of course, 99.99% of the population would neither know or care :)

I think you could probably add another two nines after the decimal point, Arthur...

• Like 1

I can't say I've ever seen a photo of an ingot mould loaded in a Tippler either; you'd have to be standing on a footbridge, or other high vantage point, to get one, I suppose. The moulds carried in them would have been the sort used in Long-Section (girder, rail or bar) mills, as these gave an ingot size of about 7 tonnes. Mould size varied according to the product being produced from the finished ingot, and plants would change this according to customer specifications. In the drawing office where my father worked, one draughtsman would spend most of his time calculating the mould sizes required for new moulds, then checking if any drawings or patterns already existed.

That Slab-Coil wagon's a lovely piece of kit; I used to see them at Margam. I hadn't realised JT had done a kit of them.