On Shenston Road. Some recent photos.

Swindon 123

Does this vary with the version of Word? I ask, as the piece of paper next to my computer shows ½ as being ALT 171 (and I just checked it..)

i think word has its own set of macros, when i try typing alt171 here, it whips me off to google!... i cant try the 0819 any more, because my 0 on the number pad has just decided to break!! ♥ ½... ah, it works, but its alt0189, my mistake in first post^^

http://fsymbols.com/keyboard/windows/alt-codes/list/  this lists both 171 and 0189 as making ½, but 171 as i said dosent work for me here, so i assume its different for different applications

Edited by kevinklein

• RMweb Premium

Finally staying with 40's and coming a little more up to date, but not much. 40181 hauls Class 76 76022 away to the Scrapyard.attachicon.gif40181 + Wdn 76..jpgattachicon.gif76022.jpgattachicon.gif40181 + 76022..jpgThe 76 is an Oliver's Trains model and has had a few modifications to it in an attempt to reduce the height to enable it to pass under some of the infrastructure. I don't know what was done, but hopefully Greg will be along at some point to illuminate the modifications.Hope you enjoy the latest batch and happy modeling.Paul J.

Hi

All the photos I've seen of the 76s going for scrap show the locos without the pantographs which I assume was to keep them within the height required for the Hope Valley line.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys.  

Thanks for the comments and also a big thank you to Kier for his excellent camera skills.The distressed track in the steel works has been fashioned wide to gauge so as not to affect running.

I wanted to achieve the run down look I have observed in many industrial locations without compromising running so by attacking the plain line this I have achieved,although Kier's pics make it look

more severe than it is probably due to the telephoto affect.I will spend a bit more time in adding weeds and grot  to give it that run heavily worked and run down look.

I have also replaced eight six foot tubes with four five foot L.E.D. 40w tubes in the railway room and been very pleased with improvement on the lighting, a very sound investment and noticeable in

the clearer pics now been taken.

cheers Greg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I keep coming back to this one for inspiration. Fantastic.

There is another thread on this site about how realistic is your railway (or something to that effect). Any image from this thread would do the business.

On this occasion I was drawn back to this item via a general search for class 47's. Looking at the differences between the Heljan and the Bachmann offerings. It seems that both have their positive and negative features. What is your opinion on the 2 models? Which class 47 is used on Shenston Road?

Anyway, I was specifically looking at your model of 47 091 Thor. My next project will be 1677 and will be in a similar condition to yours. I'm just waiting for builders plates etc. You have obviously been working from similar photographs that I have and I'm impressed by the front end and the areas where it looks as if the yellow paint has been removed down to either primer or bare metal.

Can you offer any advice on how you approached the weathering?

I have a Bachmann class 47 to work on. Would you recommend enlarging the windows as done in a thread on a P4 class 47. Looks good but is it worth the risk?

Shenston Road is unbelievably realistic. It's probably too big for exhibiting. Do you have visiting operator days?

Regards,

Bob 

I keep coming back to this one for inspiration. Fantastic.

There is another thread on this site about how realistic is your railway (or something to that effect). Any image from this thread would do the business.

On this occasion I was drawn back to this item via a general search for class 47's. Looking at the differences between the Heljan and the Bachmann offerings. It seems that both have their positive and negative features. What is your opinion on the 2 models? Which class 47 is used on Shenston Road?

Anyway, I was specifically looking at your model of 47 091 Thor. My next project will be 1677 and will be in a similar condition to yours. I'm just waiting for builders plates etc. You have obviously been working from similar photographs that I have and I'm impressed by the front end and the areas where it looks as if the yellow paint has been removed down to either primer or bare metal.

Can you offer any advice on how you approached the weathering?

I have a Bachmann class 47 to work on. Would you recommend enlarging the windows as done in a thread on a P4 class 47. Looks good but is it worth the risk?

Shenston Road is unbelievably realistic. It's probably too big for exhibiting. Do you have visiting operator days?

Regards,

Bob 

Hi Bob

Thanks for the comments.I have used the Heljan model for my pre tops and early tops models as I think they capture the prototype with a little work better than any other offering. I can live with them being 2mm to wide .

I weathered 47091 as seen in 1974 when it worked a Hereford to Margate mystex that I travelled on at £1.75 a ticket bargain, and unknown to me at the time my future wife was also on the train enjoying a trip to the south coast,I headed back to Ramsgate to bunk the depot so it was a must to model.

I picked out the bare metal to replicate the patch up nose end with aluminium colour before applying washes of thinned down greys and browns and then blended in with an airbrush.I start at the bogies with frame dirt then a light coating of brake dust

and then work up the body with roof dirt . I also spend time around the battery box and boiler water tank area with dark greys and thinned down inks to replicate the oil and fuel spillage class 47s seem to suffer from,and then finish off with matt black to represent

the soot around the exhaust.Good pics to copy are essential.

I have not studied the bachman 47 so cant really comment on that one but I use a fine tipped rotring 0.3  pen to blacken the inside edge of loco windows .This gives a nice straight edge easy to do with the glazing left in place and gives a nice flush glaze effect.Also good for head code boxes no class 37 40 52s etc.

Hope this is of some help and good luck with your 1677 project

cheers Greg 

On the one hand I am tempted to ask you to stop messing with my head - my physics teacher told me time travel is not possible, so this is all an illusion, right? On the other hand, please don't take any notice of that last remark as I am thoroughly enjoying the ability to see, feel, hear and smell things I once knew and marvel at how time travel can be achieved so effortlessly with a few bits of plastic and some paint (rather understating the work and talent that goes into these masterpieces, I admit). It just keeps on coming, and I thank you for all that. Now, can you do something about the 1970s pop songs rattling about in my head as I remember school chums, my own workbench adventures, long lost loves and summers that had a different smell to them...anything to get rid of the Bay City Rollers song I keep humming...

No, second thoughts, don't!

Best and much love for brilliant works...!

Marcus

• Like 2

Guest 40-something

Each time I get a new web enabled device, emgauge70s is the first website I bookmark, ever since I discovered it a couple of years ago.  Truly fantastic inspirational work by a group of guys who arent up themselves

Keep up the great modelling chaps!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having neglected this thread for a while I thought I had better put that right with some more of Greg's stock. Having finished with 24t mineral wagons here are some 24t coal hoppers to compliment them. The bodies where all scratch built and the chassis appear to be modified 21t hopper chassis with uprated springs, roller bearings, buffers and modified brake gear, possibly using Appleby Models brake parts. Hopefully Greg will be along to correct any mistakes with that synopsis.

B333053N.

post-7146-0-93238200-1438792623_thumb.jpg

B334377.

post-7146-0-63667200-1438792612_thumb.jpg

B336937.

post-7146-0-31664400-1438792331_thumb.jpg

B337130N.

post-7146-0-65430400-1438792322_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 18

Cider Queen looks the business. I'm hoping to pop to the Hereford Model Shop tomorrow before they are all gone! Also thank you for sharing photos of such an atmospheric layout.

To add a bit more to the Cider Queen post above, I have realized that an oversight in preparing the model info was the positioning of the nameplate on "Cider Queen". So yesterday with D2578 up and running and in the sunlight (just) Greg and myself decided to correct this error. So here are some photos and measurements for the correct positioning of the "Cider Queen" nameplates on the Heljan model.

As you will see in the first two photos of Cider Queen at Bulmers carrying the plates they are positioned just about half way along the running plate between the cab and the edge of the shunters step, with the face of the nameplate just inboard of the outside edge of the running plate.

post-7146-0-74335700-1439202154_thumb.jpg

This second shot also shows the position of the "Bulmers" sign on the radiator front, and to be 100% accurate on the model, the grill part of the radiator needs to be turned round so the mesh is on the outside, (for reasons unknown). Greg reckons that just adding some fine mesh painted red should replicate this rather than trying to turn the grill round. Heljan where unwilling to complicate the assembly process to do this on the model, understandably .

post-7146-0-47709600-1439202166_thumb.jpg

Although the group still has the nameplates they are not mounted as they where on Cider Queen. However we did find one of the original mounting brackets and by using the original mounting holes on D2578 where able to accurately measure the position of the nameplate on the running plate.

The center line of the nameplate was 78inches, or 6ft 6inches, 26mm in 4mm/ft. scale from the flat front of the cab. The front edge of the bracket was set back 2.75inches from the front edge of the running plate. the nameplate was 1.5 inches thick, putting the front edge of the nameplate 1.25 inside the front edge of the running plate, about 0.5 mm in 4mm/ft. In the photos below one of the original mounting brackets is positioned on the original holes in the running plate to show its original position on the center of the nameplate. For the record the two outer ones where mounted 1 inch inboard of the edge of the nameplate.

post-7146-0-73846200-1439202196_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-79244500-1439202186_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-80309100-1439202206_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-77336800-1439202213_thumb.jpg

Although the Heljan nameplate is a chunky affair it does look good and could be improved by thinning out the back and cutting out some of the base to represent the original mounting brackets. However this may compromise the strength of it and make it more vulnerable in handling the model. Down to individual choice on that one.

Hopefully that will make your model of Cider Queen more accurate. And for those of you looking for an excuse to run it main line. As it was BTC registered it did run the first preserved diesel hauled Railtour on the mainline back on 8th July 1971, from Hereford to Moreton on Lugg with 3 brake vans.

D2578 at Hereford waiting for the off.

post-7146-0-26644700-1439204214_thumb.jpg

On arrival at RAOD Moreton on Lugg.

post-7146-0-73916000-1439204222_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 8

Thanks for the info there Paul. I popped into Hereford Model shop today and as gutted to find they'd sold out...I've got my name down for the next delivery! These shots will be most useful. Cheers!