On Shenston Road. Some recent photos.

Swindon 123

What radius curves do you have? I'm just starting a 4mm project and I want to use prototypical couplings.

Thanks

Hi Steve

I have a minimum radius curve of 3ft on the inner circuit and have no problems with link or screw couplings but if possible try to build a transition into the curve.

cheers Greg 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having not had much opportunity to take any photos on Shenston Road recently, the recent arrival of the new Bachmann Class 43 on the scene gave Greg the opportunity to make some changes to his "Warship" fleet, and me the opportunity to photograph said changes. Greg had converted some of his old "Mainline based Class 42's to 43's many years back, but their poor performance on the "hilly" Shenston Road meant they didn't do much running. The new much improved performance of the new Bachmann offerings meant the writing was on the wall for these conversions. Greg didn't however get rid of his converted models, but literally "condemned" them instead. He de-motored them and renumbered them to some of the early class 43 withdrawal examples and now tows them around as a scrap convoy. Below are a few photos of the resulting models.

Class 42, 814 "Dragon" hauling the three withdrawn locos.

attachicon.gif814 +scrappers.jpg

A close up of 814 "Dragon".

attachicon.gif814 'Dragon'.jpg

Withdrawn Class 43, D830 "Majestic".

attachicon.gifWithdrawn D830 'Majestic'.jpg

Withdrawn Class 43, D840 "Resistance".

attachicon.gifWithdrawn 840 'Resitance'.jpg

Withdrawn Class 43, D863 "Warrior".

attachicon.gifWithdrawn D863 'Warrior'.jpg

Another view of 814 and the scrap locos.

attachicon.gif814 +scrappers 2.jpg

Sacrilege!

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had hoped to be posting some photos of Greg's latest offering in the loco front in the form of D1022 "Western Sentinel", whilst waiting for some more "Warships" to roll off the slipways, but on viewing the photos of the loco a serious flaw was detected. (Photos can be so cruel). Here are a couple of photos of the flawed loco.

post-7146-0-86458000-1445014956_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-77271300-1445014965_thumb.jpg

As you can see Greg has done his usual excellent job of recreating the locos "in service" patina. Unfortunately the eagle eyed amongst you will spot the flaw in the model, which as per usual was only spotted by myself when looking at the photos. The curved handrail is a common fault on many locos with long straight handrails. Greg informs me the Heljan Hymek is another major sufferer of the flaw. A copy of the photo winged its way to Greg for the model to be corrected, which it has been as shown in the photo below that Greg sent me.

post-7146-0-84013000-1445014978_thumb.jpg

I intend to go back a re-photo D1022 when I get the chance to and post them showing the loco in its full glory, unflawed.

Greg asked me to post the flawed photos and will be along to explain the remedial procedures he applied to correct it.

Paul J.

• Like 18

I had hoped to be posting some photos of Greg's latest offering in the loco front in the form of D1022 "Western Sentinel", whilst waiting for some more "Warships" to roll off the slipways, but on viewing the photos of the loco a serious flaw was detected. (Photos can be so cruel). Here are a couple of photos of the flawed loco.

attachicon.gifD1022 Western Sentinel-a.jpg

attachicon.gifD1022 Western Sentinel-b.jpg

As you can see Greg has done his usual excellent job of recreating the locos "in service" patina. Unfortunately the eagle eyed amongst you will spot the flaw in the model, which as per usual was only spotted by myself when looking at the photos. The curved handrail is a common fault on many locos with long straight handrails. Greg informs me the Heljan Hymek is another major sufferer of the flaw. A copy of the photo winged its way to Greg for the model to be corrected, which it has been as shown in the photo below that Greg sent me.

attachicon.gifD1022 Western Sentinel-c.jpg

I intend to go back a re-photo D1022 when I get the chance to and post them showing the loco in its full glory, unflawed.

Greg asked me to post the flawed photos and will be along to explain the remedial procedures he applied to correct it.

Paul J.

Hi guys the over long nose handrails causing them to bend up or down are a simple fix and was the first one to have this problem out of 8 Dapol Westerns, more common on the Heljan Hymek. I prized off the handrails with a flat blade close to were they fit into the nose and then straitened them before re bending them 0.5 mm shorter then refitting with a dab of super glue on the center post for good measure.Well worth doing as it really does spoil the face of the loco as Paul's pics show.

cheers Greg 

Edited by D1047

Hi Guys,

I have all of your photos on my PC (strictly for my own use) and I really enjoy running them as a slideshow - very stimulating. My steam/diesels layout is steadily progressing to more green diesels - they are so much more realistic - and you are tugging me towards Blue...  A while ago I'd never have thought it.

Anyway, watching the slides, I had a sudden hopeful thought. I went to YouTube and typed in Shenston Road... Sadly, nothing.

Any chance?

Tony.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

Excellent stuff - I assume that the Dissington Torpedo wagons are scratch built?

John

I think that the Distington torpedo ladles are modified from the Trix model.

Hi John, Arthur is spot on ,they are modified Trix   hot metal torpedos .I am trying to find pics of the barrier wagons used between loco and each wagon when in transit on the main line.They were brake van chassis which I believe were ex L MS stanier types.

cheers Greg

Hi Guys,

I have all of your photos on my PC (strictly for my own use) and I really enjoy running them as a slideshow - very stimulating. My steam/diesels layout is steadily progressing to more green diesels - they are so much more realistic - and you are tugging me towards Blue...  A while ago I'd never have thought it.

Anyway, watching the slides, I had a sudden hopeful thought. I went to YouTube and typed in Shenston Road... Sadly, nothing.

Any chance?

Tony.

Hi Tony.  Glad you enjoy the pics, I will try to get something on you tube in the future.

cheers Greg

Some of the Trix torpedo ladle models are DCC fitted and the barrel can be rotated. I've seen YouTube clips of modellers running them rotating in the manner of a concrete mixer lorry. That would be a very costly and dangerous thing to do with the real thing! They only rotate to be emptied.

Hi John, Arthur is spot on ,they are modified Trix   hot metal torpedos .I am trying to find pics of the barrier wagons used between loco and each wagon when in transit on the main line.They were brake van chassis which I believe were ex L MS stanier types.

cheers Greg

There's an indistinct view here:- http://www.traintesting.com/images/torpedo%20wagon%20test5.jpg

and of part of the deck here:- http://www.traintesting.com/images/torpedo%20wagon%20test1.jpg(the cables were for instrumentation during the tests)

I believe these wagons were only for use during the tests, as the photos of the trains in service show air-braked MGR hoppers in use. I wonder if it was these wagons that later ran in pairs, with AAR couplings at one end, to move the bogie iron-ore tipplers to and from maintenance.

The wagons weren't barriers as such, but were intended to space out the locos and torpedo ladles over structures such as bridges and viaducts during their journey.

• Like 1

The ex LMS Brake Vans were stripped of their bodywork and end steps as built, they were sold to BSC and renumbered as PO wagons and I understand they were abandoned at South Bank where they were cut up!

The Vans that became Adaptors were BR owned, with the exception of the two conversions that were sold to Procor!

Mark Saunders

Hi Tony.  Glad you enjoy the pics, I will try to get something on you tube in the future.

cheers Greg

Thank you,

I'll look forward to that. I'm sure many others would love to see your layout in action. 

As it happens I've just dipped my beginner's toes into a couple of vids. Forgive me mentioning this but it might be of passing interest: - 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94153-scotsward-road-fantasy-ecml-in-the-60s/page-15

As I'm technophobic (thick) that's #360. Warning, there is a 15 second delay in action. Also, they're very short so there's not too much time wasted. lol

I mention it for three reasons: Firstly, it's all diesels (most waiting for weathering) this is down to you; secondly, I'm having trouble with carpel-tunnel syndrome - makes modelling a challenge. Having done nowt for ages I used some loco-cash to buy some Hornby terraces - as you've done. The colour wasn't the right flavour for my layout so I gave them a mortar-wash. The brickwork wants some work and they're all still to be detailed, but it's allowed me to get on - at least one section of my layout looks almost passable! And thirdly, the Spotter's Spot thing I've started seems to be popular: no zooming, no movement, no panning, even - though this will change. I'd just love to see sections of your layout from a spotter's viewpoint - it would be soooooooo realistic!

I apologise for interrupting your thread,

Tony.

EDIT I almost deleted this as inappropriate - my layout isn't remotely comparable to Shenston Road, but now you are one of my greatest influences. But, be assured of this, if you didn't get round to having a butchers I wouldn't be offended. Nobody knows the value of time more than me.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

cheers Greg

Cheers Greg,

I'm wanting to model a couple for my planned layout and had seen the Trix wagons but the bogies on them have the wrong number of axles for the wagons I'll be modelling.

John