Bohemian Saxony

Guys, I cannot reply quoting posts for some reason so I'll refer to the above by number etc.

#28 Bill.  It may look like a Tilig HO/HOm or whatever but it's actually a home made cut and shut conversion of a standard PECO set track crossover!  We couldn't get the TIllig ones when we needed them so one of our number made these. The narrow gauge is just gauged to 9mm. He made a good job of them and they seem to work ok.

The future owner originally asked for the Busch Feldbahn to be used but we felt that this was too tiny for such a large application. It is now HOm and he will run Minitrains and Lilliput stock (I think). Actually, this is the most operation intensive part of the layout with three branch lines and a depot. One of the branch lines has a return loop. And as you realise the HOm crosses the Tram lines. We plan to include a panic button!  

I've attached a pdf of the areas where there is point activity on the layout which shows in diagrammatic format the extent of the HOm system. 

Please feel free to make as many observation and comments about anything on this build. We claim no expertise in the world of trams.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the reply - I am interested in this layout for many reasons..

And this added an extra one... I have a small Tram and Train layout with an H0e track running in and out of it and across it at one point.

Not having yet figured out how to wire the Tillig for automatic working, there are a pair of on/off switches that kill the power in the direction that is not being used.

Not very sophisticated but it serves!

By way of being annoying..

& not to be a rivet counter, but in case someone buys some stock that is the wrong  gauge ...

9mm gauge is designated as H0e (besides OO9 and N)... 12mm gauge H0m..

One can get RTR Trams etc.. in H0m but there's not much in the way of trams to be had in H0e..

However H0e has a life all its own that is quite rich - especially in Austria it would seem...

Re Post #31 Bill

Bill, thanks for info re the HOe being 9mm. All this continental stuff is a mystery to me!! LOL I'm sure that the owner and the chap who's doing the sourcing have got it sorted. Me? I'm just a navvy!

Yes we're looking at ways of protecting the crossings by switching the power off when the narrow gauge needs to cross the tram lines. And we have one place where the tram lines cross one another too. Some of the trams we have to allow for have flywheels and carry on running if the power is suddenly removed. These tracks are all under manual control but you can only do so much at once.

We are finding that the actual operation of the layout is something we have not given as much thought to as we ought. You think you have and then something happens.

If I'm honest your post #31 has got me thinking again.

Regards

Richard

Richard, a pair of relays (bistable!) and some reed-contacts will (largely) solve the tram/NG railway crossing. In each track the following sequence: stop-section, reed-contact, crossing, reed-contact. If a tram approaches the crossing, it passes the stop section (which is powered by default), operates the reed-contact to switch off the stop-section of the NG-railway, takes the crossing then switches the NG stop-section back on when passing the 2nd reed-contact. Likewise for the NG-railway. It's not perfect (not fail safe and not addressing a simultaneous approach of trams on the double track) but I guess it'll suffice for 90-95% of the time. reed-contacts are large and obtrusive, my advise is to use Hall sensors instead. A Darlington transistor (or MOSFET) to protect the output of the sensor against relay currents and a diode (1A type!) to protect against BEMF of the relay coils. Bistable relays are expensive (the Roco one is 20 euro :O ) but a pair of transistors can be used as flipflop and you can use much cheaper mono-stable relays :good:  Have a good brain-wave ;)

RS has some bistable relays (for very little cash).

Andy

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived