? Wagon repair works

shanks522

Hello all,

Little bit of work on the layout, the top DC level has had the automated shuttle unit installed and tested today, The sprung points are working ok so far and its been quite satisfying watching a train shuffle back and forth with no intervention from me.

video to follow soon. 

Graham.

hello all,

Had an hour on the layout today and filmed the shuttle unit at work, only downside was the new Farish 170 has started shorting the track for no reason, something else to add to the workbench! 

cheers

Graham.

Hello all,

Last weekend i managed a couple of hours on the layout and made a start on the lower trackwork, Nothing to get excited about as i've only laid one point and a siding but rather than pinning the track down i'm glueing it this time. I took all the weights off this evening and 67026 did the honours of testing the first section of track. 

I also had a little play with some buildings to give a rough idea of what i'm aiming for.

post-6774-0-05335100-1404420223_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-02702200-1404420233_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

Modelling time is a bit precious of late but i spent an enjoyable hour the other night removing the moulded lights on the single road shed and replacing them with working ones, four in total were changed and today wired up for testing, all was fine until i went to check it on the layout, i managed to drop it, break one of the lights so now its back on the bench.

quick pic of the undamaged end. 

post-6774-0-81264900-1407085681_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Little bit of work on the layout today, The lighting on the depot building that previously got damaged has been replaced.

I've laid most of the pointwork along with doing the appropriate wiring changes for DCC and fixed one signal in place on the top level.

Finally i hacked a Farish BYA which will become a barrier wagon to couple on to knuckle fitted HTA's, I've spent a while on the net trying to find BYA's without the hoods  so i can get an idea of the internal layout but not had much luck so far. 

DVT stopped at the new Signal.

post-6774-0-96341900-1409514099_thumb.jpg

Start of the barrier BYA.

post-6774-0-80278000-1409514095_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

hello all,

Had an hour on the layout today and filmed the shuttle unit at work, only downside was the new Farish 170 has started shorting the track for no reason, something else to add to the workbench! 

cheers

Graham.

Did it pick up, a stray track pin ?

Hello all,

Would like your opinions on a siding please,

The Repair shed will have four roads going into it, 3 to what will be the heavy lifting shop and 1 to a paint shed, The paint road is the one nearest the front of the board and i thought about putting a siding off this to the left, maybe make it overgrown with abandoned wagons etc, my query is does it look like i'm cramming to much track in?

Siding roughly in position.

post-6774-0-29476200-1409600485_thumb.jpg

No Siding.

post-6774-0-98850400-1409600449_thumb.jpg

Also played around with some card to start mocking up what sort of building i want.

post-6774-0-66962000-1409600439_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

Do you have any sidings for storing stock, arriving and departing stock etc. I would suggest having all of a works covered would be unusual. If you have areas for this - and for lifting wagons for wheel replacement then OK, but if not I would suggest an additional siding would be useful - and adds play value.

Paul

It may not be the most realistic, but I always think a model railway is a scene, and a scene looks better with more symmetry.

By this I mean that with a traditional "ladder" yard you end up with one end with a fan of sidings and the other end with loads of scenic space to fill, therefore I would include the extra siding in order to balance up the view a bit.

Just my view, I'm sure others will disagree.

Looking great so far though.

David

Hello all,

Would like your opinions on a siding please,

The Repair shed will have four roads going into it, 3 to what will be the heavy lifting shop and 1 to a paint shed, The paint road is the one nearest the front of the board and i thought about putting a siding off this to the left, maybe make it overgrown with abandoned wagons etc, my query is does it look like i'm cramming to much track in?

Siding roughly in position.

attachicon.gifSiding with headshunt.jpg

No Siding.

attachicon.gifPointwork without headshunt.jpg

Also played around with some card to start mocking up what sort of building i want.

attachicon.gifmock up of wagon repair shed.jpg

cheers

Graham.

Sorry, can't help on this,..................you gotta be good to do a fictitious  layout...... :paint:

Looking good Graham.

Think I prefer it without the siding tbh.

Do you have any sidings for storing stock, arriving and departing stock etc. I would suggest having all of a works covered would be unusual. If you have areas for this - and for lifting wagons for wheel replacement then OK, but if not I would suggest an additional siding would be useful - and adds play value.

Paul

It may not be the most realistic, but I always think a model railway is a scene, and a scene looks better with more symmetry.

By this I mean that with a traditional "ladder" yard you end up with one end with a fan of sidings and the other end with loads of scenic space to fill, therefore I would include the extra siding in order to balance up the view a bit.

Just my view, I'm sure others will disagree.

Looking great so far though.

David

Thanks all for the comments,

I spent yesterday evening mulling it over and think i'l leave the siding out, I think once ballasted it'l look a little odd so as a compromise i might lay an unconnected line towards the building thats very overgrown and store some wheel sets on it or an abandoned wagon.

cheers

Graham.

Not sure how your layout has escaped me until now Graham but I am glad I finally found it as it looks as tho you are doing a fantastic job on it so far.

I will be watching with much interest from now on mate.

Terry

P.s. I have subbed too.

Thanks Terry, hopefully i'l make some progress over the coming weeks now work has slowed down. 

Graham.

• 4 months later...

Hi Graham,

I've only just discovered this thread - great work so far and I look forward to following your progress!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I'm in a bit of a dilema at the moment of whether to continue with this layout or not, the new one i'm planning is going to be considerably larger so this may get shelved.

cheers 

Graham.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

Ah, now your comment in the Smithdoen thread makes sense! I did think you were being a little optimistic about fitting a Pendo into the shuttle sidings!!

Seems a pity given the great work you've done here, but how you feel is how you feel.

What are the factors right now that you're weighing up?

Cheers

Ben A.

Archived