Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Beer Engine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well, as always, someone on here has gone one better and taken it to the max! The ultimate 'Beer Engine' is indeed No. 7202 or 3822 as part of the funding drive for these engines was the construction of the increasingly famous 'Black Python' real ale bar!

http://www.baldric.plus.com/nnx_bar.htm

NNX No. 80224 was originally bought for conversion to a main line support coach but it turned out to be unsuitable for the job and it languished without purpose until the eyes of 81E's Heavy Freight Group (affectionately known on site as 'The Mob' after an incident many years ago involving a rail tour, a female peer of the realm and some beer - don't ask!) fell upon it. The bits of ex pub were duly fitted into the main luggage area where the roller shutter doors are. The passenger compartments became the cellar and the rest of the vehicle has gained some excellent sofas and other comfy seating for use in poor weather. I can lay some very, very minor claim to part of the conversion as I designed and painted the pub sign!

They have also commissioned several beers over the years including a 7202 ale, a 3822 themed one and the very popular 'Mob Mild'! I would love to put in recommendations for these no doubt fine tipples but unfortunately I don't drink alcohol. I am assured however, that they are indeed a most pleasant way to spend an evening. The pork scratchings, cola, the fine company and erudite conversation DO come highly recommended. The DRC website includes details of when 'The Black Python' is open and to sit outside it, next to the turntable, on a nice day, with steam on the demonstration line and network rail going about its business beyond is an excellent use of an hour or two as a reminder that everything in the world is right. AND of course, you are contributing to the restoration of two of the Didcot fleet. Now there's an excuse...

All the best,

Castle

PS: before the inevitable question, the name is due to the fact that 'The Mob' use Python No. 565 as their mess vehicle. In fact they have looked after it for many years. At one time it received a coat of protective black paint and the rest is history...

• RMweb Premium

That would be great to have in a Pub Garden near a railway, or where a railway used to be (or not near a railway etc, who cares as it is a bar.) There probably are some already?

Over to you lot.

By the way Castle, that is a brilliant project and a very smart sign by the way.

P

Archived