Re-engineered Class 73

scouser

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody have any news or pics of the class 73s that are being rebuilt? The press seems to be treating them as a very low level of interest.

cheers

Paul

There has been an article in one of the mags - I think it was Rail - but they focussed on the Brush GBRf rebuilds and not the two at RVEL Derby.

Cheers,

Mick

I believe the type approval package is being put together for the RVEL machine(s) at present, so that programme seems to be moving towards its homologation phase. These machines are definitely progressing, but I think there might be a bit of a publicity embargo on at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

I believe the type approval package is being put together for the RVEL machine(s) at present, so that programme seems to be moving towards its homologation phase. These machines are definitely progressing, but I think there might be a bit of a publicity embargo on at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see how these multi-engined locos compare to the single-engined Brush rebuilds. Plenty of work to create them in model form with the extra holes in the sides!

Cheers,

Mick

Rail Express a few months back had a photo of both projects side by side, unfortunately I have just cleared out some of my old RE's so cannot give you the issue number. I seem to remember that one (possibly the brush one) had WIPAC or similar arrangement light clusters added to the ends.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

Rail Express a few months back had a photo of both projects side by side, unfortunately I have just cleared out some of my old RE's so cannot give you the issue number. I seem to remember that one (possibly the brush one) had WIPAC or similar arrangement light clusters added to the ends.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

The GBRf/Brush locos certainly have new light clusters. When I saw the RVEL locos (completely stripped down) in mid 2013, there wasn't any evidence of modified lights - but that was 12 months ago.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

DRS DBSOs? Any pictures?

Or do you mean the mk2s?

Jack.

DBSO.  See entry #6 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84943-class-47s-and-dvts/

See this thread as well for more info: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69413-new-drs-carlisle-sellafield-commuter-service/

There's a picture on wnxx.co.uk according to the Google search that comes up ("One of the DBSO's at RVEL in Derby is now in DRS blue. Not certain if it's 9705 or 9707. Not the best photo that I've seen, but it has a modified ...").  You need to be a member to see it though, which I'm not.

• RMweb Premium

I know someone that has a coupe of pics of them i shall get a copy of them from him when i'm down the local this afternoon.

Bry

Yes please!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

There were two 73 s in Gloucester station this afternoon at around 16.30 together with a 31 in EWS livery.

73001/006/31466 according to various reports. The 73's could be more for the 73/9 project, but could also be part of GBRf's master plan for stockpiling heritage traction ahead of the upcoming tighter emission regs for new build locos..........

Cheers,

Mick

73001/006/31466 according to various reports. The 73's could be more for the 73/9 project, but could also be part of GBRf's master plan for stockpiling heritage traction ahead of the upcoming tighter emission regs for new build locos..........

Cheers,

Mick

Wouldn't the 'JA's be too non-standard for that sort of conversion? - the extra few years on the frames would be a cause for thought...

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't the 'JA's be too non-standard for that sort of conversion? - the extra few years on the frames would be a cause for thought...

It's being discussed on the wnxx forum about the various differences between JA and JB. Having said that, if they're ripping out the entire internals and replacing with new, does it matter? The shells are basically the same (with an extra window in the JA). I believe there are differences in the bogies though.

As to frame age, the 73's are younger than the likes of 20's and 31's roaming the network.

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived