97xx Condensing pannier in 00

Received my 9700 with top feed about 4weeks ago, generally well pleased with it although I have sourced a replacement smokebox door and some detailing parts, ie etched spectacle plates,cab grilles,lamp irons and sprung buffers (which I already had to hand)

It will sit on a perseverance chassis and gibson wheels (em gauge) some time next year !

Only progress so far is the body has been drilled for the handrail knobs.

Photos to follow as and when

Merry Christmas to all

• 1 month later...

First mistake. Should have undercoated first before handrails.

Would have made it easier to rubdown carefully.

Any way now with 2 green coats and 1 black coat.

Might give a number of stain varnish coats to try and produce smoother finish

post-5249-0-09485500-1420934264_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You seem to have got the tank exhaust vent pipe wrong - as far as I can see it should come from the tanks and not from the condenser pipes.  Steam should go back into the side tanks in order to condense and the tank exhaust/vent should allow heat to escape from the tanks.  As you have arranged it the exhaust steam would never reach the tanks.

Check for prototype pics and you should be able to see what I mean.

69843 - photo attached.

Tom - Bought a job lot of Hornby spares wire and handrail knobs off ebay some years ago. 0.55mm diameter wire.

Dave - Not sure if true scale. Painted handrails originally then thought they might look better shinny. Not so sure now!

Mike - not sure, but I thick you are right. Cannot find close up of detail on internet. Came as a 3D purchase and I don't have skill to alter :(

post-5249-0-15453400-1420996133_thumb.jpg

You are right Stationmaster, a close study of the picture on page 209 of J H Russell's Pictorial record of GWR Loco's just about shows the arrangement of the pipework ( tank top photos of these engines seem to be almost nonexistent it's the only one I've found so far in my "library" ).

I noticed this error on my model soon after I received it (more modification required)

As yet no progress on 9705 yet,will have to make a start soon.

Michael

Jan project completed

couple of coats of satin varnish

Bits added

Pipes amended as per mikes comments

Handrails repainted as per Davids comments

All that remains is to thank L49 for making the 3d model.

I am absolutely delighted to have this unusual GWR loco added to my fleet.

post-5249-0-54994900-1421585304_thumb.jpg

post-5249-0-49715300-1421585349_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

First photos of 9706.

I thought this was going to be a fairly quick project by just fixing handrails, bits of piping and a new Smokebox door !

But now 9706 has sprung buffers, lamp brackets, whistle shield, fireiron brackets, bunker window grilles, lifting rings, vacuum pipes, steam lance and that "pipe" in the coal space (what is that for, anyone know ?)

Still outstanding are screw couplings, blackhead detail, crew and of course coal.

Just a small matter of building the chassis now.

post-23170-0-04945500-1425033386_thumb.jpg

post-23170-0-60289400-1425033402_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Some of the items came from my "spares box" (bits and bobs that you accumulate over the years, alternative and spare parts from the kits that have been built etc). Sprung buffers, vacuum pipes, safety valve bonnet, steam lance, backhead detail ( most of these items are available from Alan Gibson, Mainly Trains, 247 developments among others)

But the following came from -

Etched window grilles, lamp irons, Smokebox door = Mainly Trains

Smokebox door handles, handrail knobs = Alan Gibson

Number plates = Modelmaster

Whistle shield & Fire iron brackets made from scrap and etched brass (spares box)

Handrail/piping wire = alan gibson,mainly trains,Eileen's emporium

Hope this is helpful

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

You seem to have got the tank exhaust vent pipe wrong - as far as I can see it should come from the tanks and not from the condenser pipes.  Steam should go back into the side tanks in order to condense and the tank exhaust/vent should allow heat to escape from the tanks.  As you have arranged it the exhaust steam would never reach the tanks.

Check for prototype pics and you should be able to see what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean, and I questioned it myself when drawing the 97xx up. Effectively any steam being put though the condensing pipes would escape directly to atmosphere making the whole condensing gear useless. However the only looking down view I have managed to source shows the arrangement I have used on the model, unless the combining pipe dog-legs to run under the condensing pipe, but I can't see that there is room for it to do that. If only the chimney weren't in the way, then we could see the arrangement clearly on the driver's side.

post-8704-0-45194700-1427218051.jpg

The published drawings don't help much either, as they fudge round the venting arrangement. It would have been much easier if Collett had simply used a vent pipe on each tank like most engineers did!

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly this drawing - linked below - shows the transverse pipe bending under the main condensing pipes from the smokebox  (I don't know where the  website got it from but it is very much in the style of 'Railway Gazette'/Railway Publishing Co drawings although it doesn't appear in the latter's 'combined volume' of drawings)

http://www.champwilde.f9.co.uk/gwdrawings/gwlocoimages/loco-9700.jpg

From this source on the 'net

http://www.champwilde.f9.co.uk/gwdrawings/locoindex.html

Thanks Mike,

That seems to solve the problem.  I will have a look at revising the artwork. From this it also appears that the combining pipe is of a slightly flattened section, presumably to allow it to fit in the very tight space where it bends under the condensing pipe. I'll try to get the amendment done tomorrow in time for anyone ordering at Ally Pally over the weekend.

• 5 months later...

But now 9706 has sprung buffers, lamp brackets, whistle shield, fireiron brackets, bunker window grilles, lifting rings, vacuum pipes, steam lance and that "pipe" in the coal space (what is that for, anyone know ?)

I believe it is the air vent to allow the water tank in the lower part of the bunker to fill through the connecting pipe from the main tanks. All GWR tank locos have one in one form or another.

• 1 year later...

Archived