Mishap on GCR

PhilH

Oh dear - that's not good at all - I see from the photo there is evidence of bodyside ripples which means the nose of the 37 has dropped in the accident (which they often portray after accidents). Could be the end of the 37? - hopefully not - a real shame though.

From a preservation point of view, I'd be happy if:

No one was hurt,

It didn't happen again,

And the TPO rake wasn't too badly damaged.

There is a lot of wobble on Frothbook with people concerned about the 37, which was due to leave anyway and has low preservation merit in the grander scheme of things. If it is written off, it'll be interesting to see what Network Rail replace it with...

Guest B Exam

DBS have several ex-NS6400's spare. About half the age of the 37 ;) (build 1990's) Eurotunnel has a few too (5 from new, 3 ex-NS as spare part donors/replacements/extra's) Can be used up to 4 loco's in multiple traction. Modern, efficient tri-phase AC traction motors. Units from 2nd order (6461-6520) can be converted to mobile power gen-sets. Quite versatile ;)

But only one slight problem.... They will be out of gauge for normal UK lines....

• RMweb Premium

But only one slight problem.... They will be out of gauge for normal UK lines....

They are only 2.4M wide with a 20t axle load and don't look too tall either.

Keith

Edit the cab may be 4.2M high which would be too tall! (If I have read the info correctly!)

• RMweb Gold

Not nice and alas the GCR figure yet again which will no doubt result in a visit by a 'man from the Ministry' - and if it doesn't it ought to.  Regrettably it is seemingly minor incidents such as this which get the preservation world a bad name and which, rightly, continue to cause the ORR to take a major interest in this area of UK rail operations.  Shame for the owners, very black mark for those responsible, and fall-out possibly spreading even further.

It's another of these preserved railway cock-ups that could've been far more serious had circumstances been slightly different, someone's for the knack though.

On a different note I was horrified to hear someone on a different preserved railway (with a less than stellar record recently) taking the line "Ho ho ho, look at what the GC have done this time".

Whilst we might have a secret chuckle at other peoples misfortunes, anyone involved with railway operations, be it heritage or national network, should take a good look at any incidents with a view to learning from them and, hopefully, preventing them from happening again.

• RMweb Gold

On a different note I was horrified to hear someone on a different preserved railway (with a less than stellar record recently) taking the line "Ho ho ho, look at what the GC have done this time".

I suspect that the sort of narrow-minded fanaticism that exists in some rank-and-file members of preservation societies is not unlike that of footie fans. So delighting in others' misfortunes is part of the fun. Little concept of the bigger picture.

No loss - its only a 37 - plenty more to go. :D

(still, glad no one was hurt)

and what would the answer have been if it was a steam loco that had run away with similar results , and a bent frame causing it to be condemned? Another multi-million pound appeal through the media for money? or perhaps more lottery money? "it's only a Black 5 , - there's plenty more to go"

I'm glad that nobody was hurt during this incident, however, many hours of hard work by volunteers has now at the very least been badly damaged.

I would hope that lessons are learnt from this episode and that it isn't repeated , either on a preserved line or on the mainline network.

Lets not point fingers too soon, it was a NR loco on the GCR, was any one from NR with the loco? Or were the GCR hiring it and using there own drivers?

Most E.E. locos are know for having problems with the (air / vac ) parking brakes and are normal chocked, if left standing for any length of time (in the old days).

IF! the loco was a runaway how far did it run and why, trap points at the exit of the yard should have stopped it.

Some reports are now saying that it was propelling the coach, if that is the case what did it hit?

Now lets start to get some facts before we all start making up the cause of the incident.

OzzyO.

PS. thank god no one was killed.

I can comment (not on this incident) but from experience that EE handbrakes are not the bet in the world. They are applied by the swing link you see just below the cab and the chain which link that to the centre brake cylinder, so are only effective on one axle. I once had a class 40 run away in FP depot, when preparing the loco. The driver told me to go in the other cab and release the handbrake. I did. the loco rolled up to the exit signal, back again nearly to the stops...back again...by which time the driver had got the engine started and built enough air to apply the loco air brake.

It has been suggested in another forum that this incident was part of a propelling move.

• RMweb Premium

Well, from what I can find out 37 198 has a bit of a chequered past.

She is (was?) the last locomotive built at Stephensons in Darlington. She was sold into preservation in 2004 and moved to the Wensleydale Railway where it was restored to working order and repainted BR blue - it worked its first passenger trains in preservation in May 2005. In 2006 it moved to the Dartmoor Railway, where it was often used on passenger workings. However, its owners (BRE Ltd) went bankrupt in November 2007 and 37198 was sold for scrap and moved to EMR at Kingsbury.

37198 was sold again to Network Rail and moved to Rothley on the GCR, where it was repainted in NR yellow, and had a number of repairs carried out. It is currently on long term loan to the GCR in the care of the Type 1 Locomotive Group but is (was) supposed to return to Network Rail later this year.

Lets not point fingers too soon, it was a NR loco on the GCR, was any one from NR with the loco? Or were the GCR hiring it and using there own drivers?

Most E.E. locos are know for having problems with the (air / vac ) parking brakes and are normal chocked, if left standing for any length of time (in the old days).

IF! the loco was a runaway how far did it run and why, trap points at the exit of the yard should have stopped it.

Some reports are now saying that it was propelling the coach, if that is the case what did it hit?

Now lets start to get some facts before we all start making up the cause of the incident.

OzzyO.

PS. thank god no one was killed.

We know what the cause of the incident was:

GRAVITY!!!

:locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Both are correct and Boris summed it up nicely

Dr Purnell my physics teacher would have me remind you

Gravity = potential energy

Momentum = kinetic energy

O level physics - MxGxH=1/2 x M x V x V

M = mass

G = Gravity

H = Height

V = velocity

Energy losses due to friction and air resistance apply of course.

And have to echo JeffPs sentiments too

Phil

There aren't all that many 37s left available to buy for the national network! :)

On a wider, and more practical, note - if Network Rail are now short of type 3 power, how will that affect the ETRM testing on the Cambrian Coast, and how will that in turn affect any steam specials on the Cambrian Coast?

Also, as the issue regarding EE handbrake efficiency needs to be broadcast, and learnt again, will that lead to 'H&S' overkill?

And finally I would just like to echo the points above regarding injury, damage and poor luck.

• RMweb Gold

there are some pics on wnxx forum of the TPO/37 crashed into a couple of green mk1 coaches, both of which appear to have damage too, certainly appear to have ridden up slightly

Hi,

In theory no great loss, but it could be indirectly. I believe the loco is used as a source of spare parts for the 97/3's for Network Rail. If some parts are damaged or the whole thing scrapped, it could mean the issue of finding 37 spares could become even more pressing, which could result in Network Rail being tight for locos fitted with ERTMS to work engineering trains over the Cambrian, thus effecting the line.

Small accidents like this can have bigger consequences down the line in the future...

Simon

Archived