Midland Railex 2014

EE 8SVT

Hi  to all,

Just returned from Butterley everything now in place and I have to say the military layouts look superb together, weather forecast is good so we hope to welcome visitors over the weekend.

No doubt a few posts will appear tomorrow, showing what's on offer this weekend, if you want more information please visit www.midlandrailex.co.uk .

Plus of course you can download our show guide to have a preview of what's on offer.

Look forward to meeting RMwebbers over the weekend.

Steve

Railex team

I will post a more detailed report later. Sadly no pictures as my camera battery died. A good show and worth a visit, but my advice would be to go early to get a car parking space and to beat the queues at the booking office.

Not my photo but could not resist showing this to RMwebbers from today at Midland Railex

Ian Casteldine comments & photo

Colour version... Could be 1934...Imagine the ALR had survived! Baldwin Tank Guy hauling the Ashover Light Railway Coach and Wagon along the GVLR today... Never dreamed I would see this in my life time... pure joy!

post-12870-0-03017600-1408219915_thumb.jpg

Having done four Midland Railexes now (two exhibiting, 2 visiting), overall I'd rate this as the weakest of those four... That's not to say it was poor - it certainly wasn't. There was a decent selection of layouts but I had seen at least 3/4s before, and in general, it just didn't seem to have the spark or atmosphere that made the previous years something special and did seem much quieter...

Car parking was better organised and getting in much quicker than the previous time as a visitor but catering was as shambolic as ever, and there were mutterings among visitors about the all-diesel train service. The thing though that really did make the trip worthwhile and why I would certainly recommend going tomorrow, was riding in the Ashover coach behind the Baldwin as pictured above.

Paul

Having done four Midland Railexes now (two exhibiting, 2 visiting), overall I'd rate this as the weakest of those four... That's not to say it was poor - it certainly wasn't. There was a decent selection of layouts but I had seen at least 3/4s before, and in general, it just didn't seem to have the spark or atmosphere that made the previous years something special and did seem much quieter...

Car parking was better organised and getting in much quicker than the previous time as a visitor but catering was as shambolic as ever, and there were mutterings among visitors about the all-diesel train service. The thing though that really did make the trip worthwhile and why I would certainly recommend going tomorrow, was riding in the Ashover coach behind the Baldwin as pictured above.

Paul

Hi Paul,

We were let down by an external caterer and found it difficult to source a replacement at short notice, a replacement did arrive on site at around 16.00 to late for Saturday but will be in full swing for tomorrow.

With regard to the all-diesel train service we had intended to us the S&DJR Jinty but it had 3 tubes fail on Thursday and it was not possible to repair it in time, forcing us to use diesels.

I have tried previously to bring in two different WD Austerity's as part of the Wartime theme but both were unavailable, there is a general shortage of serviceable steam locomotives at present.

Your comments about layouts, in previous years we have successfully sourced 'new' layouts on the circuit , this approach was not possible given the wartime theme and it was inevitable that a number would have been seen previously, although never together.

We can not please everyone all of the time as everyone has there favourite  motive power Steam or Diesel, or era such as the LMS or BR for instance. However talking to our customers through the day I received many positive comments about the layouts and the military theme.

The Railex team do take constructive feedback on board and I would be interested to hear other visitors comments.

Steve

Railex team

I have been to all four Midland Rail-ex events and following the first it is always an eagerly anticipated event. The show is large and makes use of many buildings on the Swanwick Junction site. The chance to ride on the full sized trains add to the day and can help extend the visit too, as can all the standard attractions at the Midland Railway Centre.

This year's event carried the sub heading "Military Manoeuvres" and there was a promise of the several war related layouts and a display of military vehicles. There was certainly a good selection of war time layouts, clustered in the main diesel shed. Highlights included Q Dump, Lulworth Camp, Stodmarsh, Operation Overlord and the masterpiece that is Rowlands Castle. All worth a look. A good selection of traders were interspersed amongst these as well as some non-military based models.

Other war time layouts were in the narrow gauge shed and these had a narrow gauge theme. I like the way the show groups such models together with the vintage layouts once again located upstairs in the static power house and the tram and bus layouts shown in the road transport building.

Some other highlights for me were located in the chapel. These included the Welsh layout "Ynysybwl" which I have seen before. One I hadn't was Frank Collins' "Steam on the Cambrian" which was a combination of two small layouts in one. As a builder of similar size layouts I found these inspirational and truly stunning.

So a good selection, backed by the recreation of the Ashover Light Railway on the "Golden Valley Light Railway". The limited seating capacity meant a premium ticket price of £5.00, but would have been well worth it.

For all of the above the show is well worth a visit. I do suggest you get there early as parking gets busy. Also the ticketing seemed a little worse than last year with the single ticket window not really up to the job and not as good as previous years. And this rather sums the show up. It is good, but not as good as previous years. Why?

1) The ticketing was not as well organised as previous years.

2) There seemed less halls used than in previous years. I recall displays in the West Shed in year 1 and 2, but not since.

3) No steam on service trains AGAIN!

4) No obvious real ale bar (although I hear that there was one on one of the trains)

5) Poor catering. There used to be a number of burger vans etc. This year there was only the Johnson's buffet and a barbeque tent which was so poorly organised it attracted a huge queue. It was pricey too.

6) The military vehicle display was poor and numbered only about six, not really enough to link in with the theme.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the show and still recommend it to anyone. It is still worth the new £13.50, especially as you get a voucher back if you gift aid, and take time to view all of the regular Butterley attractions, ride the train as well as visit the show. But the above points are all things to consider for next year's event which I will look forward to.

One final point. Is it me - or did the show guide feature a spelling mistake all the way through - "MILTARY MANOEUVRES" surely it should be MILITARY MANOEURVES???

I visited this event for the first time so can't compare it with previous years. I too have some criticisms but I must say that I was kept fully occupied all day and I was on site at 9am  and left at 5.30 pm so good value for £13.50.

The website I used on Friday showed that the Jinty was in use topping and tailing with a diesel so whilst I acknowledge its failure it is a pity this wasn't put on the MRC's website earlier.  I hadn't realised the nature of the failure until the post from Steve above and acknowledge his efforts to get a replacement, an austerity would have been great in view of the theme.

I declined to pay the £5 to travel on the Golden Valley railway and be packed into one coach I thought £5 was a bit steep for the length of run.  I don't see why with all the other coaches they couldn't have had a longer train, one coach on a major event day? 

The number of trains on the standard gauge was good however, with a frequent service and haulage enthusiasts had a smart 31 and Class 47 and an immaculate Class 25 to choose from on two different train formations.

Catering was just infuriating although I wouldn't have said it was pricey. One person taking orders in the Johnson's buffet and serving teas was inadequate, and the barbecue, which I did  use, was also under staffed. No buffet on the trains either although I believe that there was beer available on one set. I heard many negative comments about the catering although I did notice the last minute catering van arriving so well done on sourcing a replacement.

I thought the £2 voucher to spend in the buffet or station shop if you filled in a gift aid form was a great idea, the shop was very busy at home time with people using their vouchers. Perhaps an idea that should be more widely adopted. I would go again to the event but I would check on catering arrangements before hand and would certainly expect to have at least one steam train on the standard gauge.

Hi Paul,

We were let down by an external caterer and found it difficult to source a replacement at short notice, a replacement did arrive on site at around 16.00 to late for Saturday but will be in full swing for tomorrow.

With regard to the all-diesel train service we had intended to us the S&DJR Jinty but it had 3 tubes fail on Thursday and it was not possible to repair it in time, forcing us to use diesels.

Steve

Railex team

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response and the explanations about catering and the Jinty. Appreciate things don't always go to plan and sometimes you have to do the best with what you have.

As I said, still a good show, and a worthwhile day, just that for me it didn't quite match up to the very high standards you have set in previous years.

(take that as a big complement to your efforts in previous years in setting the bar so high...)

I'm sure I'll be back next year!

Paul

I declined to pay the £5 to travel on the Golden Valley railway and be packed into one coach I thought £5 was a bit steep for the length of run.  I don't see why with all the other coaches they couldn't have had a longer train, one coach on a major event day?

Slightly missing the point there I think...

The £5 was a (justifiable) premium fare for the Ashover Coach's first passenger use in 70 odd years particularly when paired with an apropriate type of loco... The Ashover coach in fact seats about the same number of passengers on it's own as the combined capacity of the 3 'tin boxes' normallly used and is a whole lot more comfortable!

I visited this as all has been quiet on the exhibitions front for a couple of months.  I too felt it lacked much of the atmosphere of previous shows.  Overall it was worth it as an annual visit to Butterley but to be honest its not likely for next year.  The problems were:

All started well (I arrived at 14.00) with ticket and car park space and by gift aiding a £2 voucher.  My pleasure in that was rapidly annulled by £3 for a simple bap next door.

The train service.  I mean this is one of the simplest line in the country to operate but there was no sense of timing and some of the coaches were well past their best.  There is a reason the footpath to Butterley from Swanwick is well trodden.  Customer service was poor and to be honest none of my interactions with Butterley staff enhanced my day.

The trader mix was duplicative and in some cases bizarre.   I wonder if some of the poor sods in outlying buildings (the FLT area) sold anything.  Other bits were like a local fair - British Legion Bikers and Parrot Rescue.

Not all of the layouts were exhibition quality.  Some aspects of a "village hall" show. Somewhere I saw a battered Stanier pacific bombing around an oval hauling Hornby iron ore wagons whilst another steamer went its merry way with one buffer and headstock missing.

In amongst all that there were things done well

- the guide - free and downloadable and really excellent

- filling in the tracks in the diesel shed

- overflow car parking

And some good exhibits/efforts made:

- Bachmann

- Overlord (seen before but actually it continues to develop and is good)

- Ynys whatsitsname (seen before but good)

- Rowlands castle

- Lulworth

- One of the MOD model vehicle displays

- HMRS excellent as ever

So yes its worth it but a bit of thought needed to sharpen it up for next year.

One final point. Is it me - or did the show guide feature a spelling mistake all the way through - "MILTARY MANOEUVRES" surely it should be MILITARY MANOEURVES???

Good review, Andy, and a 1 - 1 draw between you and the show guide on the spelling!

(Yes, I checked before I stuck my neck out on that one!) 

This review was posted on the Midland Railex FB page.

Peter Squires reviewed Midland Railex.

7 hrs ·

My 1St visit to the M.R.C since the 70s. I wanted to see the Baldwin and the restored ALR coach, and spent an enjoyable day catching the train from Butterley to Swanwick and taking in everything there was! Friendly staff, smiling faces and plenty to do! I won't leave it so late next time!!!
Thank You ALL!

Steve

Railex team

Just a brief note to say thank you to the Midland Railex Team.  I had a thoroughly enjoyable day out yesterday, spent far too much money on yet more stuff I don't really need (!) and I was particularly grateful for the chance to be able to wander about photographing without excessive barriers or restrictions.  Western Lady was particularly appreciated, especially compared to previous years.  I have a very good idea just how much work goes into organising a large public event, so your efforts were appreciated. 

Kind Regards,

Paul

Some photos from Railex yesterday.

post-1481-0-15388700-1408283418_thumb.jpg

'Duchess of Sutherland' in light steam outside the West Shed, home of the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust

post-1481-0-09153400-1408283505_thumb.jpg

Not quite large enoght to fill-in for the lack of a steam loco for the shuttle, but a lovely little loco!

post-1481-0-58358500-1408283735_thumb.jpg

The Baldwin about to depart the Golden Valley Light Railway station with the exhibitor's special train and a very well packed Ashover coach!

post-1481-0-21748800-1408283424_thumb.jpg

View from inside the Ashover coach into the cab of the Baldwin for the return journey - a very comfortable ride.

Good evening all 

First time I've visited and an enjoyable day . with two young children , that they had a good time speaks volumes of the event 

The Baldwin was superb and the ALR carriage is just a thing of beauty . My congratulations to all involved . 

My collection can be found here https://www.flickr.com/photos/martincreese/sets/72157646509517316

of which this is my favourite image

14762467407_7edcf9bf59.jpgAshover Arrival by Martin Creese, on Flickr

It was a shame there wasn't more steam running but equally there was so much to see and do we couldn't have done justice to a train ride as it was . 

What I would like to call out was the operators of Dewsbury Goods who allowed my 5 and 7 year old's to have a go and operate the layout , shunting wagons in the yard. The face and look of joy on their faces made the day perfect and could yet prove costly as they would now like O Gauge . Such a simple and incredibly kind gesture was truly appreciated and these few words doesn't convey my gratitude enough

Good review, Andy, and a 1 - 1 draw between you and the show guide on the spelling!

(Yes, I checked before I stuck my neck out on that one!) 

Whoops! Typo noted! 1-1 it is then. Glad you enjoyed the review.

Not all of the layouts were exhibition quality.  Some aspects of a "village hall" show. Somewhere I saw a battered Stanier pacific bombing around an oval hauling Hornby iron ore wagons whilst another steamer went its merry way with one buffer and headstock missing.

I would be interested to know which layouts were considered "not up to scratch". In my opinion only one layout, which will remain nameless, was below par. The one I think you are describing was actually part of the vintage display and so was a very different sort of exhibit.

I agree that the show was not as good as previous years, but was still a good event (see my review above)

• Administrators

Some excellent modelling on display, nice cakes and fascinating prototypes to look at - an enjoyable event that's not a "hard core" exhibition but a good all round day out for those with railway interests. I'd also be interested to know which layouts weren't "up to scratch", or indeed how we determine what "scratch" is in this instance.

Photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/sets/72157646554807851/

The only moan I had has to be directed at some DCC layouts - can you TURN THE SOUND DOWN A BIT? Please. Just a little. If the volume is the same as that inside an engine room, it's probably too loud both for me and realism.

(Edited to add rant)

• RMweb Premium

Made my first visit to this show today.

For me, the diesel only service was something of a bonus. Overall a very enjoyable day, sounds like I missed a few exhibits that were in the Chapel though. Some more signs showing what was where might be beneficial. As a first time visitor it wasn't very clear where to go to find the exhibits when I got off the train. I know a show guide was provided, but it would be easier to find things.

Not sure if the military theme made the choice of layouts a bit narrow, personally I would have preferred more variety, but it was clearly advertised as such so can't complain.

Great day out though and a good show, particularly as reading some of the posts above it sounds like the organisers faced some challenges with the (lack of) steam loco and catering.

Hi

As part of the operational and organising team of Railex working with Steve, this show is always a challenge in what layouts to bring in and what theme to have but also presents challenges with the operational railway.

I can understand the disappointment due to the lack of a mainline steam locomotive running at this event on service trains, but due to the age of these locomotives failures do happen and we were as annoyed as the visitors that Jinty 23 was not running due to 3 boiler tubes that had failed and not enough time to perform a repair.

This years Military theme was chosen to coincide with the centenary of WW1 and to show layouts featuring military and wartime scenes but also have other layouts of different eras on show.

We do try to give a good display of layouts of various scales, gauges and eras and this year the show has been enjoyed by a lot of people listening to the visitors while on duty on the station as operations manager.

There has been some good feedback with a few key points with one particular point that I have taken on board.  A visitor to the show pointed out that it would be a good idea to have the timetable included in the show guide. This is a good idea as long as people use and read the show guide and we will try to get this included for next years guide. The timetable we use has now worked twice with no issues so will be used each year enabling this to be printed.

While on the subject of feedback, it is always good to get negative points back so we can work with them, but also suggestions and ideas would also go along way to help improve the event and make it better for you the visitor.  Please feedback ideas to us so we can take them on board.

The show is also aimed at families as well as railway modellers hopefully enabling the model railway fraternity to get a "pass out" to the show by being able to take their wives, partners and kids.  This is why we have the birds on display and other side attractions giving the family something to enjoy other than the railway and visiting layouts.

The catering issue pointed out this year was a major problem brought on by the booked hog roast and food vendor not turning up and not returning numerous telephone calls.  We are indeed very sorry for this and managed to get another vendor later on Saturday and for Sunday.  This issue is going to be raised at the first organising team meeting and will be addressed for next years show.

To give the visitor an idea of the work for this event, we work through the year with the real physical work starting the week before. A team of volunteers work hard doing all manner of jobs with very long hours but a lot of jobs for this show go beyond the models. The working locomotives have to be prepared, checked and fuelled with the associated groups being involved and giving their time for these tasks.

The nature of this show has forgotten hero's that give up their time to volunteer and work hard so I would just like to say a big thank you and well done for all the hard work done and support these people give.

Paul

Operations Manager

Some excellent modelling on display, nice cakes and fascinating prototypes to look at - an enjoyable event that's not a "hard core" exhibition but a good all round day out for those with railway interests. I'd also be interested to know which layouts weren't "up to scratch", or indeed how we determine what "scratch" is in this instance.

Photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/sets/72157646554807851/

The only moan I had has to be directed at some DCC layouts - can you TURN THE SOUND DOWN A BIT? Please. Just a little. If the volume is the same as that inside an engine room, it's probably too loud both for me and realism.

(Edited to add rant)

Some cracking photos Phil what camera do you use.

Hugh

• RMweb Premium

Third year running I managed to turn up too late, my time management here seems appalling! (always underestimate how long it takes to get there) so I didn't see everything. Having gone for the models I ended up spending much of my time looking at other things. The Baldwin and Ashover coach seemed to take up quite a lot of my time and I've never even been particularly interested in narrow gauge, so that was great. Chatting to the guys there there it appeared that the space / curvature was too tight to run the loco around at the Swanwick end, which from my point of view was rather good - the shunting required for that made the whole thing a lot more interesting, even if it was a nuisance for the GVLR.

In general I suppose I would echo the sentiments in other posts but please don't think that I didn't enjoy the day - I did, and will be back next year.

Archived