Marsh Mills (side project) 00

Jack00

Another one of my mad ideas...Well, I got a little distracted of late. The plan was to work on Uckfield over the weekends. But after spotting a few CDA movements around Cornwall, I embarked on a small layout with clay dries in mind. Marsh mills in Plymouth fit the bill perfectly. There are some great photos in the Railways of Cornwall section of the forum. Taken by Winterbornecm.

The layout its self is 4ft x 15ins, which just happens to fit snugly in the boot of the car...!

A very simple track plan, which still allows a decent amount of shunting, the fiddle yard is actually hidden under the clay dries, access is available from the back through a slot, change over of wagons can be done easily here, and any mis-haps occur, then the roof is removable for even easier access.

The board is made of 6mm ply and polyfoam sandwich style construction. Very light yet strong and rigid.

Stock is mainly modern Nacco style wagons, JIA's, silver bullets etc, and a trusty Bachmann 08.

The odd mendip rail working could be seen, loading aggregates into a JNA or similar.

(Modified Dapol IOA)

I'll load some photos of progress, been working on the layout for the last week or so.

Thanks for now.

Jack.

That was quick work Jack, but what the ????? happened to that poor 08? hahhaha

I saw a nice china clay layout at the weekend at the Derby show, Trevana Mill.

More pics soon I hope,

Hello there Andy. Long time no speak haha.

Was rather quick work, had time off from work so thought I would put it to good use. The 08 still not finished needs a few rust spots on the roof as per the real thing.

Will look that layout up on the web now.

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jack, looks mighty fine for such a small area! Any chance of a plan as I can't figure how you've arranged the tracks - I assume as the dries act as the fiddle area there's no actual tracks leaving the board?

Hello there Rich.

You're right, the track doesn't leave the layout at all. Alot of configuring, head scratching was done but I managed to come up with the plan. I will attatch an overall 'birds eye view' to help explain.

Cheers

Jack.

post-13209-0-08482300-1399932385_thumb.jpg

An ariel view. Showing the trackplan in early stages. The clay dries hiding the fiddle yard. Which has 2 levels! One with track feeding the layout and one static area for cups of tea ...!

Jack

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_20140512_230543.jpg

An ariel view. Showing the trackplan in early stages. The clay dries hiding the fiddle yard. Which has 2 levels! One with track feeding the layout and one static area for cups of tea ...!

Jack

Ah, quite right - clay dries should have an adjoining upper level with settling tanks where the slurry is allowed to settle out. This could be replicated using your cups of tea and digestive biscuits, as I've found you get a sludge of un-dissolved biscuit if you exceed a 'dunk time' of 3.5 seconds! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Yep 3.5 seconds for digestives. Ginger nuts last slightly longer (straying into innuendo territory here I fear! :O ) Chocolate coverings improve matters but Rich Tea outlast all others (but they're boring anyway...)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/rich-teas-are-the-best-biscuits-hobnobs-are-soggy-imposters-scientists-find-9186984.html

• RMweb Gold

A very sound approach. And on that bombshell - goodnight!

(and apologies for taking this off topic - I was thinking earlier that the Diesels in the Duchy thread goes way off tangent, and now I've gone & done the same here...)

post-13209-0-71612300-1400015605_thumb.jpg

Very harsh close-up of the land-rover. Was an Oxfard Diecast British telecom, now un-branded Imerys livery. A bit of weathering added, but needs alot more work doing, including a warning light on the roof, tyres flattened at the bottom and perhaps interior detailing. Need a few more of them to add around the hard standing.

See alot of them driving around St . Austell and Burngullow area.

Jack

Cheers Rich.

Can't seem to find photos of the real vehicle in this livery. Starting to doubt they exist...im sure I have seen them around though covered in white dust.

I know Imerys have started using Discoverys now, too! Very posh, eh!

Jack

Guest 34008Padstow

Been keeping an eye out for this since i seen it on facebook. Looking great so far. Very tempted to try something like this myself.

Hi shane.

Thanks for the comment.

It's a nice simple design that is light and easy to store/transport. Ideal for people who have limited space...or have not enough space for all these layouts (ME!) Haha!

Jack

Archived