Bachmann Warflats

Peter Bedding

9 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Now we need someone to produce etched chains to properly secure them plus some chocks!

Mark Saunders

Cambrian do/did a couple of fairly fine chains. There used to be some one who did the tensioning devices  (turnbuckles?) - perhaps screw couplings could be adapted? Don't forget that the chains go from the left side of the wagon to the right side of the load, and vice versa.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Cambrian do/did a couple of fairly fine chains. There used to be some one who did the tensioning devices  (turnbuckles?) - perhaps screw couplings could be adapted? Don't forget that the chains go from the left side of the wagon to the right side of the load, and vice versa.

Roxey do some shackles and side chain eyes.

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/485/4a135-side-chain-eyes-and-hooks/

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/480/4a130-screw-shackles-for-wagon-loads/

Edited by gwrrob
links added.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I am not sure these are the right scale but presumably they could be printed at different scales.

Web page quotes them as 1;76 - other scales are quoted on other pages. is there a reason to doubt that? Cheers 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Web page quotes them as 1;76 - other scales are quoted on other pages. is there a reason to doubt that? Cheers 

Thanks Phil. I see that now. I did not get the 20mm reference.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

In stock at CMC too - stock level now reduced by 1......

Bachmann have given us a lovely detailing pack to fit - brake gear, vac pipes, couplins etc - what doesnt get used goes in the spares box.

Chassis is single piece die cast - so no weight issues. Wagon body also single piece moulding so significant surgery required if we are converting to Coil G. Might be easier to hijack chassis and fabricate wagon body if detailing on side frames and buffer beams does not correspond - will check tonight.

3A9499F5-DC0A-4521-8617-F02C5E059D20.jpeg

454A6DDC-4978-4BA0-BA2A-11172F188429.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photos added from phone
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

In stock at CMC too - stock level now reduced by 1......

Bachmann have given us a lovely detailing pack to fit - brake gear, vac pipes, couplins etc - what doesnt get used goes in the spares box.

Chassis is single piece die cast - so no weight issues. Wagon body also single piece moulding so significant surgery required if we are converting to Coil G. Might be easier to hijack chassis and fabricate wagon body if detailing on side frames and buffer beams does not correspond - will check tonight.

Thanks Phil, any chance of a photo with it up the right way please.;)

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks Phil, any chance of a photo with it up the right way please.;)

Here you go Rob - let me know if any others needed

04411ACE-879C-4C8C-936D-E63DC25A27F9.jpeg

245BE71E-4DF4-4A00-A33A-F70A35414720.jpeg

7F071830-D731-433D-A018-13997F6C93AF.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photos added from phone

• RMweb Gold

Easy to disassemble - 2 screws and bogies are off, another 4 seperates the moulded body from the diecast chassis.

Look how much shorter the coupling is when compared to the similar configuration Dapol Bogie bolster E.....

4B12B8FC-5BE3-41D7-9E13-CE654E91D1C5.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
photos added from mobile
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark some good stuff there

And as always Paul Bartlett's site is excellent - search for Flat WC to find images of the wagon currently released in grey livery.

Have been asked to post up photo of fitted detailing - so here we go!

Under floor details are vacuum reservoir, vacuum cylinder and transverse operating rod - no link to bogies! Strangely my wagon has brake shoes fitted to one bogie but those for the others are in the detailing pack...did some only have brakes at one end perhaps?

Photo shows details fitted with loose items alongside for clear identification. I always secure with the minutest dab of gel superglue. Also buffer beam detail - although looking at Paul's site as I suspected these general traffic wagons would not have the side safety chains fitted - but assume military version would for continental operations.

Hope this helps

5287D35D-A146-4D08-8F0B-2C0685558E07.jpeg

1E88392E-D22D-4402-B81D-7DED12AC499D.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photos added
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Phil

The only one that I know of to carry grey is the one at the NRM Shildon which is the one Bachmann produce, however in BR use should have been painted as fitted wagons. Unless anyone can prove otherwise?

Mark Saunders

With you on that one Mark...have a look at Paul's site https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brwarflatwc

Definitely bauxite by TOPs era - but are there a couple of grey ones there? So rusty mind....

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Phil

The only one that I know of to carry grey is the one at the NRM Shildon which is the one Bachmann produce, however in BR use should have been painted as fitted wagons. Unless anyone can prove otherwise?

Mark Saunders

Mark

Some appear to have had the power brake removed - this is an XFO https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brwarflatwc/e3e3dd5a7  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brwarflatwc/efad9c12

Paul

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Yes noticed that too....

And gave some more thought to the braking system last night having done that detail fitting post. As warflats, to operate on the continent an air brake system must have been fitted - my french isnt brilliant but I assume that is what the change over instructions on the wagon plate on Mark's earlier link http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/military/ww2-50-ton-warflat-1.htm refer to.

If that is the case then would this not have been removed when conversion to Flat WC took place and the wagons no longer crossed the channel? In which case the underframe tank (not the Cromwell!) can join the side chains in the spares box as I would assume it was part of the air brake system rather than vacuum. Can anyone confirm please?

And for those of us using the tension lock couplings the vac pipe and rather nice screw link coupling go the same way....

• Like 1