Bachmann Warflats

Peter Bedding

Given the quality of the tank, I think they are quite expensive for what they are: you'd only get £3.29 change from fifty quid when buying one! I definitely want a few warflats, but I don't want to pay a premium for a tank load that I don't want; I'll either wait until they are reduced, or see if any retailer goes on to 'split' the wagon and tank loads. 

I think I better dig out those Cromwell tank Airfix kits that I snapped up a few years ago when going cheap at Aldi!

In fact, given the extremely long gestation period for these, they look quite disappointing actually. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And if running with tension locks those lovely screw couplings go straight in the spares box along with the side chains.... Lanarkshire models do some nice white metal coupling hooks without the dangly bits....

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Given the quality of the tank, I think they are quite expensive for what they are: you'd only get £3.29 change from fifty quid when buying one! I definitely want a few warflats, but I don't want to pay a premium for a tank load that I don't want; I'll either wait until they are reduced, or see if any retailer goes on to 'split' the wagon and tank loads. 

I think I better dig out those Cromwell tank Airfix kits that I snapped up a few years ago when going cheap at Aldi!

In fact, given the extremely long gestation period for these, they look quite disappointing actually. 

CoY

Aye, given that they seem to be adding £15 to the RRP, you could get far better in kit form. Even the Oxford Sherman seems to be higher quality.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s got to be easier to paint over this than build a kit but yes for the money it’s a bit ‘cheap’ when Dragon, Oxford etc are doing 1/72 tanks fully detailed and painted for the same price. I actually think the moulding is pretty good.  ;)  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Yes, they are a bit of a let down. If the tanks had been painted, they would have been acceptable IMHO. Translucent mudguards are a very poor feature.

If anyone wants to buy my tank, make me an offer !

I'll source some late 1950s / early 1960s non-armoured military vehicle(s) for mine.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If anyone wants to buy my tank, make me an offer !

I'll source some late 1950s / early 1960s non-armoured military vehicle(s) for mine.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Where from John? (PS finished 20 bolster Es with your transfers last night!)

25 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Where from John? (PS finished 20 bolster Es with your transfers last night!)

Well done withy the BBEs - batch lettering can get a bit monotonous though, can't it?

I quite fancy https://www.hattons.co.uk/340490/oxford_diecast_76lr2s005_land_rover_series_ii_swb_hard_back_civil_defence/stockdetail.aspx and / or https://www.hattons.co.uk/89789/oxford_diecast_76lan2007_land_rover_series_ii_lwb_station_wagon_44th_home_counties_infantry_div/stockdetail.aspx .

The period's right for my 1961 modelling era, and they're something a bit different; a couple should sit nicely on a WARFLAT.

1 hour ago, Tony Cane said:

Enhanced warflat?

warflat e.jpg

Looks good, but the turret needs to be reversed so that the gun is over the back decks. I haven’t seen the model in the flesh, but most tanks of that time had a shackle to put around the barrel to guard against the traverse lock coming off and the turret swinging round, with potentially catastrophic results.

• Informative/Useful 1

If we are considering such details then the tank as modeled wound not be an in gauge load. The general instruction in regard to the acceptance and conveyance by rail of A.F.V.s states that for Cromwell I. Cavalier I and Centaur I tanks the sand shields must be removed reducing the width from just over 10ft to 9ft 5in. There is no requirement in the instructions to reverse the turret . There is an instruction to reverse the turret on Lee and Grant tanks, but this may be due to the turret shape to improve upper clearances.

The often published picture of Cromwell tanks being unloaded at Winchester has tanks without sand shields.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

If we are considering such details then the tank as modeled wound not be an in gauge load. The general instruction in regard to the acceptance and conveyance by rail of A.F.V.s states that for Cromwell I. Cavalier I and Centaur I tanks the sand shields must be removed reducing the width from just over 10ft to 9ft 5in. There is no requirement in the instructions to reverse the turret . There is an instruction to reverse the turret on Lee and Grant tanks, but this may be due to the turret shape to improve upper clearances.

The often published picture of Cromwell tanks being unloaded at Winchester has tanks without sand shields.

Also the barrel of the cannon needs to be hollowed out. The paintwork could do with being made less 'plastic'. And, strictly speaking, IRL tanks were held in place with blocks and shackles, not magnets.

Edited by truffy
  • Agree 2

I found this interesting photo:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=DB99658AD4EAD0686416D77DB690CDE2DD739171&thid=OIP.mcNF2TLwAVrXarU8_9ligwHaFD&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.iwm.org.uk%2Fciim5%2F296%2F462%2Flarge_000000.jpg&exph=546&expw=800&q=war+flat+cromwell+tank&selectedindex=15&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,6

It has both the CS and normal 75mm gunned Cromwell. The CS gun facing forwards, the 75mm gun facing rearwards but at an angle (I am not sure from memory, but I'm not aware of a travel lock for the guns on these tanks, at least externally).

Sand shields are removed from all (you could cut them off from the Bachmann models, but the rather flat detail means I'd rather use airfix kits instead) and these tanks appear to have some white winter camouflage on them. Note the chains and wooden beams securing the tanks.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1