Bachmann Warflats

Peter Bedding

19 minutes ago, Tony Cane said:

One possible reason for reversing the turret is that if the gun overhangs the chassis front then unloading on a steep ramp would possibly ground the muzzle.

The guns were not particularly long on a Cromwell. Though may be they had a simple rule which said if gun overhangs the bow then traverse rearwards.

On the other hand, Comets did have long guns but they equally had a travel lock on the rear deck too.

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

The guns were not particularly long on a Cromwell. Though may be they had a simple rule which said if gun overhangs the bow then traverse rearwards.

On the other hand, Comets did have long guns but they equally had a travel lock on the rear deck too.

Could the turrets be reversed to at least minimise the ingress of steam loco exhaust? 

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2019 at 22:12, truffy said:

Also the barrel of the cannon needs to be hollowed out. The paintwork could do with being made less 'plastic'. And, strictly speaking, IRL tanks were held in place with blocks and shackles, not magnets.

Looking at the photo JSpencer posted shows the barrel sealed with something?

10 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

Looking at the photo JSpencer posted shows the barrel sealed with something?

For transport and when not in use, it was common to seal the muzzle of a gun with a 'tampion'. This was to protect the weapon and in particular its rifling from water and dust.

Steam engine soot would not really have been an issue compared to mud etc the tanks actually experienced.

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Could the turrets be reversed to at least minimise the ingress of steam loco exhaust? 

Steam engine soot would not really have been an issue compared to mud etc the tanks actually experienced.

The worst danger was facing sea water when they went across to channel to debark at Normandy! All sorts of seals and covers had to be prepared.

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

For transport and when not in use, it was common to seal the muzzle of a gun with a 'tampion'. This was to protect the weapon and in particular its rifling from water and dust.

RAF aircraft in the Middle East theatre used to have the machine gun/cannon ports covered with a piece of cloth whilst taking off. I was looking the other day at a photo of a Beaufighter taxiing in Malta, and the wing gun ports were scarcely visible. I wonder how they calculated how strong the material needed to be, as the bullets/shells had to penetrate it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

RAF aircraft in the Middle East theatre used to have the machine gun/cannon ports covered with a piece of cloth whilst taking off. I was looking the other day at a photo of a Beaufighter taxiing in Malta, and the wing gun ports were scarcely visible. I wonder how they calculated how strong the material needed to be, as the bullets/shells had to penetrate it.

Nice post, but there was no risk of penetration failure. The bullets leave the guns at around 800 metres a second. The material would need to be 3/8ths of inch steel before any there was any risk of failing to penetrate it. A bit of cloth is negligible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

During WWII, the RAF armourers were instructed to tape over the gun ports in the wing after reloading to stop debris and water (which will ice up at altitude) entering the gun barrels on take off, especially if there’s a mass formation and jamming the mechanism.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Although I’ve repainted mine in the wrong Humbrol drab, khaki instead of olive, it really does improve the look by doing it.

What did you use to remove the transfers? Did they come off easily?

Regards

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, john dew said:

What did you use to remove the transfers? Did they come off easily?

The star put up a bit of a fight John but it might have been because I was using Microset instead of the correct Microsol to remove it.

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2019 at 22:36, GreenGiraffe22 said:

The Churchill that usually sits on the corner of my layout with a downed Me 109 fits quite well 20190924_223524.jpg.46e63ea94289989039d59e4fda946699.jpg

Hi,

I believe that on a Churchill the air intanks on the side of the hull  would be out of gauge, they were either swung up onto the top of the hull or completely removed for rail transportation. I cannot remember which.

Regards,

Neil

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, neilkirby said:

Hi,

I believe that on a Churchill the air intanks on the side of the hull  would be out of gauge, they were either swung up onto the top of the hull or completely removed for rail transportation. I cannot remember which.

Regards,

Neil

Normally removed. The tank in the photo is an Airfix kit of a Mk VII and are separate fittings. The kit is old with lots of errors, the most noticeable the inclined rim at the based of the turret.

Matchbox do a MkIV AVRE which is better.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Normally removed. The tank in the photo is an Airfix kit of a Mk VII and are separate fittings. The kit is old with lots of errors, the most noticeable the inclined rim at the based of the turret.

Matchbox do a MkIV AVRE which is better.

Off topic warning!

Don't mention AVREs! About 6 years ago I built a lovely AFV club kit of MkIV AVRE in 1/35th, I have the same make Bobbin still in the the box.

But what really sends shivers down my spine is the 70's memory of my attempted a conversion of a Tamiya MkVII to a MKIV AVRE bridgelayer, by following an article in Military Modelling magazine. The actual conversion did not go too bad for a 15 year old.  I also attempted to build the SBG bridge, which ended up in a warped and tangled mess of plasticard! I still have the bridgeless conversion up in the loft somewhere.  The bridge eventually went in the bin, but still gives me nightmares! 

Regards,

Neil

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1