Cambrian gradient posts

I have never found a photograph of one and I can not recall seeing any in the museum in Oswestry (which isn't the same as saying there aren't any)

My layout has a gradient of 1-in-44 that steepens to 1-in-33.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Well I have trawled as best I can but cannot find reference. I did find a picture from GWR days, so I suspect it's a GWR post. It's in Mike Lloyd's Tanat Valley book, pic of Alexandra Docks Peckett 0-6-0ST at Porthywaen. The same book has draewings of all manner of other lineside equipment including mile posts but not gradient posts. 

I had looked at that picture before and, like you, thought that it looked like a Swindon product, but now I'm having second thoughts.  

I reckon the picture immediately above was taken at the same time and the clothes of the two gents in it suggests it was taken not long after the Grouping (pity the one on the left is standing right in front of the gradient post!).  As the Great Western was apparently content to merely repaint rather than replace the lineside furniture it inherited (think how long some Cambrian signals survived) I now think that might well be original Cambrian.

Thank you!

Archived