Under the stairs

• RMweb Gold

wheels ordered, and the main frames soldered went together nicely and boy is it small i think its going to be a enjoyable build if not a little testing 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have just been trying to fit wheels and have found out the hard way that the gearbox  wheels combo don't fit i ordered alan gibson wheels they fit but the axle gets in the way of the worm drive from the motor. so as anyone built this kit without the sharman wheels and if so how did you get round this problem. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work is progressing at a slow rate due to dropping the motor and knocking of one of the terminals. Ordered a replacement from backwards along with aa final drive gear which they are sending with a larger boar to fit the Gibson axles. Some photos to show just how small it is and progress

post-12485-0-69845400-1404162769.jpg

post-12485-0-15975600-1404162811.jpg

• Like 3

Hi arthur can i ask how you fitted the pick ups. Looking at mine I not sure what the best way to do mine. As there is so little room.

Sorry, I've only just picked this up; been very busy of late organising my archery club' s recent competition. I'll have a look at my model this evening and let you know.

Arthur

Hi arthur can i ask how you fitted the pick ups. Looking at mine I not sure what the best way to do mine. As there is so little room.

Sorry for the delay in replying, it took a while to find the loco at the back of the cupboard again. As you can see from the photo the pick ups are simple top wipers soldered to a small PCB pad glued to the valve gear supports. There is a small cut out in the top of the frames to allow the wire to pass through without fouling the body.  With the body in place they are virtually invisible. Hope this helps.

Arthur

post-647-0-41245100-1404815987.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Super I think I will be copying that for mine have done some more. Some cleaning before I can add more but definitely starting to look like a locomotive now

post-12485-0-89513600-1404832914.jpg

Edited by farren
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

hi, due to a house move i am having to scale back to smaller lay out for the time being, and what came to mind was a small industrial layout under the stairs it will be about 8' 6'' x16 inch. i have no track plans yet but i have just ordered the robert stephenson & hawthorn 0-4-0 ct i have just found out the loco is HO and not 4mm but i just like the the prototype so i'm still getting it.. i am also thinking of going EM but a made up layout and not set on any real railway.so i can run locos and rolling stock that take my fancy 

any ideas, suggestions or pointer i should consider would be appreciated ,

check out Smallbrooke Studios who do resin kits for ubiquitous the NER P1 chaldron wagon (used by the NCB up to the early 1960s) and some other industrial wagons. Their kits are very accurate and very simple to construct

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry for taken long to replying had not looked at this topic.

Yes had a look and will have to get some of them they do look very nice. Along with other kits they produce.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

After having a good think about whether or not to go with EM or not and costing how much money time and patience to convert over 60 locos along. I decided to stay with 00. But this meant to redo the crain tank which went well. After this I thought I would tackle the value gear first part was to was add the coupling rods all lines up with the wheels nicely just needed the holes a little. But when the wheels are rotated the rod hits the piston rod cylinder casting. Any ideas should I file the casting or the rods front face. Maybe move the whole cylinders outwards. I can see by the photos above that it should work but I am having to use some alan Gibson wheels and pins etc and not sharmans. And was wondering if the wheel is wider between the wheel face and back of the Gibsons. Or have I messed up

post-12485-0-83204600-1412802149.jpg

post-12485-0-74382200-1412802168.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have been playing around with a mashima motor I dropped knocking of one of the terminals bit silly you say I can only agree with that. So today I took it apart to see if it could be fixed. I managed to damage the carbon brush in the drop so no goer. Then I thought of a pencil shaping the led I managed to shape it to fit a a drop of super glue to keep it in place then put it all back together and what do you know. It works. Don't know how long for but may be a H pencil would have been better.

post-12485-0-78170700-1413458914.jpg

post-12485-0-55947900-1413458932.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This kit I am sure is designed to test your patience

Finally managed to get most of the valve gear fitted and as been tested all seems well will finish it off as soon as the pick ups are fitted and test run on track goes well. The brakes are next.

post-12485-0-43318300-1414578293.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Just bought this negative from eBay and was wondering if anyone had any information about it. And has a drawing been done.and Here is a screen shot I will put up a proper copy later if wanted. What I do know is it's at Southampton. Muir hill petrol electric.

post-12485-0-94249900-1415144663.png

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just bought this negative from eBay and was wondering if anyone had any information about it. And has a drawing been done.and Here is a screen shot I will put up a proper copy later if wanted. What I do know is it's at Southampton. Muir hill petrol electric.

Its actually a petrol-mechanical built around a Fordson tractor. Branchlines produced a white metal kit a few years ago intended to fit on to a Tenshodo spud.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that. I well have to give branchlines a go see if they still do them. I would have thought that even a spud wheel base would be pushed to get down to that. Very rough guess 3ft wheels may be a wheel base of 6to 7ft.

Edited by farren

It's the right outfit, but Branchlines are easiest to deal with by email or over the phone. I have always found Brian very helpful (usual disclaimer). If you ask nicely, a catalogue will be forthcoming by email.

(Brian and Isabel Osborne)
PO Box 4293
Westbury
BA13 9AA
tel/fax: 01373 822 231
e-mail: sales@branchlines.com

Adam