Bakewell Street and other 7mm projects...

Gilbert

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just had a few more invites which amazingly I am free to do....

Bakewell Street will be at Exmoor Rail in August and Thornbury (the "real" Thornbury show at the Chantry) in November

best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Novice!? You're having us on! Your work is impressive and rightly you can be proud of it.

Paul - thanks - by way of explanation I've been around a while but am relativley new to brass kits - and it was a little challenging!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

That looks great, Chris.

As you say, a bit clean at the moment but perhaps it's just been outshopped? Very impressive pipework, valves and stuff.

John

John

The pipework is interesting but with a few reference fots and the instructions it went together very well

Two hints if anyone builds one -  the axles boxes are a little close together for Slaters axles - as I won't be running long distances I simply shortened mine

and

the ladder mounting holes in the solebars are a tad low and needed to be made a little higher - the work does not show behind the ladder mounting plate - I assume this is due to resin shrnkage but I have to say the parts were very nicely made.

I painted it in two parts which were fixed together right at the end of the job - it means a small part of the chassis around the base of the silos is black not bauxite but I've gone for a neat finish over 100% fidelity - and once weathered it will not be so starkly obvious.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Prestwin looks superb very nicely finished, which Halfords paints did you use for the colours please.

Rob

Very easy Rob

All cans were warmed before use.

Grey primer for the underframe then matt black - buffers were chemically blackened by dipping in Gunblue and rinsing.

Silos and all ladders etc were Halfords red oxide primer then red oxide primer! I used their lacquer varnish as prep for the transfers on the silos followed by dulcote from a can once done

I brushed humbol gloss varnish - the bottled variety - Glosscote - on the sole bar before the small transfers went on there - followed by coats of warmed, shaken canned dulcote

once the tranfers were settled.

Yellow bits were hand brushed white and then Vallejo acrylic yellow. the two big wheels on top were kept back, sprayed white and then a Halfords yellow I had in stock - but finished with the Vallejo yellow. then installed.

I made up a simple jig from balsa wood (easily cut to shape) to mount the top half while I painted it.

Chris

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris, I've just finished building a pair of Slaters Vanwides so thats a big help, thanks very much and keep up the good work.

Rob

You'll like these then Rob....same paints except in addition I used Humbrol Olive Drab 155 from a can for the roof.

post-1107-0-99411800-1456172126.jpgpost-1107-0-94529100-1456172136.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spent another excellent weekend at the Missenden Railway Modellers Spring event. Did the weathering class. New stock for Bakewell Street now ready for action - although I think they all need just a touch more attention - but not much.post-1107-0-98848000-1457384943_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-10361500-1457384954_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-69089300-1457384965_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-53816400-1457384977_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-33340200-1457384987_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-17834800-1457384997_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Nice one Chris, they certainly look good when pictured on layout. Still cleaning wheel surfaces on Big Boy, will try and post a couple of pics when done. This is my first post on here, not the most user-friendly with all this html text to wade through on the comment section...do you have any tips to a better experience?

Spent another excellent weekend at the Missenden Railway Modellers Spring event. Did the weathering class. New stock for Bakewell Street now ready for action - although I think they all need just a touch more attention - but not much.attachicon.gifComp 4F.JPGattachicon.gifComp 40.JPGattachicon.gifComp BW.JPGattachicon.gifComp Gunpowder.JPGattachicon.gif Comp Esso.JPGattachicon.gifComp Prestwin.JPG

Spent another excellent weekend at the Missenden Railway Modellers Spring event. Did the weathering class. New stock for Bakewell Street now ready for action - although I think they all need just a touch more attention - but not much.attachicon.gifComp 4F.JPGattachicon.gifComp 40.JPGattachicon.gifComp BW.JPGattachicon.gifComp Gunpowder.JPGattachicon.gifComp Esso.JPGattachicon.gifComp Prestwin.JPG

Spent another excellent weekend at the Missenden Railway Modellers Spring event. Did the weathering class. New stock for Bakewell Street now ready for action - although I think they all need just a touch more attention - but not much.attachicon.gifComp 4F.JPGattachicon.gifComp 40.JPGattachicon.gifComp BW.JPGattachicon.gifComp Gunpowder.JPGattachicon.gifComp Esso.JPGattachicon.gifComp Prestwin.JPG

• Like 1

Chris, I'm just swooning having just discovered this thread.

Your Vanfit/Vanwide has become the becnhmark I need to attain when I finish my two Slaters vans for Lapford Gate. I like the prestwin too, I don't remember seeing many when growing up the 70s - whereas vanfits very prolific around Bristol. A super standard of modelling. Thanks for sharing, Paul