Bakewell Street and other 7mm projects...

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Chris, I'm just swooning having just discovered this thread.

Your Vanfit/Vanwide has become the becnhmark I need to attain when I finish my two Slaters vans for Lapford Gate. I like the prestwin too, I don't remember seeing many when growing up the 70s - whereas vanfits very prolific around Bristol. A super standard of modelling. Thanks for sharing, Paul

Agree re. the Prestwin - my layout is also based in the south west (most of the time) but it's a nice build....recommended.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for that, I thought it was the JLTRT class 40 as it had the frost grilles.  I did not know that the Heljian loco had these.  It looks fantastic and the weathering is superb.... I particularly like the rush patches on the bogie side frames.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Thank you for that, I thought it was the JLTRT class 40 as it had the frost grilles.  I did not know that the Heljian loco had these.  It looks fantastic and the weathering is superb.... I particularly like the rush patches on the bogie side frames.

Cheers

Lee

Lee

The grills came as a part in the box with the loco

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Popped along to NEWGOG yesterday and saw "Bakewell Street" in the flesh. It's a thoroughly nice layout and with a scenic section the same size as my modelling room, it's certainly provided a lot of inspiration and ideas for a small layout of my own. The locos and rolling stock were very convincingly weathered too.

Regards

Dan

• RMweb Gold

Popped along to NEWGOG yesterday and saw "Bakewell Street" in the flesh. It's a thoroughly nice layout and with a scenic section the same size as my modelling room, it's certainly provided a lot of inspiration and ideas for a small layout of my own. The locos and rolling stock were very convincingly weathered too.

Regards

Dan

Thanks Dan - it was a nice show - we actually had a bit of a nightmare - we had a fault which took a while to diagnose properly but it ended up being a track continuity problem on the moving part of the switch blade on one of the Peco points - althought the rails are bonded and the frogs switrched that is a weak spot and I'll need to sort out a connection - on all 4 moving bits I suppose - we got round it by using longer wheel base diesels - the good old Hymek did sterling service...

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just prepping Bakewell Street for the extremely good Exmoor Rail on 6 August at Minehead - most of the layout works but it's surprising what doesn't after a period of inactivity.....like real life really...

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great to see Bakewell Street yesterday at Minehead (Exmoor Rail).

Only took a few photos as did not get a great deal of time.

I tried a few low level shots, but too much light coming in from the roof lights (it was quite a bright day) and also needed to use a tripod to increase the depth of field, but you get the idea.

A good shunting layout and shows what can be achieved in O gauge in a relatively small space.

post-7854-0-43177900-1470571084.jpg

post-7854-0-81894200-1470571084.jpg

post-7854-0-26630900-1470571085.jpg

post-7854-0-05340400-1470571086_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Guest 40-something

Damn and blast you with your absolutely cracking layout!!!!

Stay away from 7mm trains Joe, stay away....

• Like 1

Guest 40-something

You'll crack...they all do eventually...

I've been back and forward with 7mm stuff over the past couple of years, never got further than a couple of wagon kits....yet

• 2 months later...

Some gorgeous work Gilbert.  I'm just starting in O gauge - yes I cracked.  I was particularly taken with your bridge over the road and canal.  I've incorporated a sunken board into my layout with a view to doing an embankment.  Very inspiring.

John

• 4 weeks later...