7mmNGA Exhibition & AGM - Burton 14th June 2014

Andrew Young

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a great line up there Andy 41.gif  - problem I have is that it's often so busy helping Paul with EDM that I don't get much chance to look around. 

A note for new visitors - unlike many towns, the Town Hall isn't in the Town Centre - there are (were) several breweries and a railway in between. With a 'Sat Nav' use the postcode - otherwise look out for the yellow 'Model Railway' signs (that's another job to do!) or follow the signs for the Station which is only a few hundred yards away - which makes it an ideal venue for those travelling by train.

Parking is available on site but please note that in view of the proximity to the station, this is chargeable - exhibitors and traders will have permits. Best to try and get a roadside space but please please check the signs for restrictions . . . . . . 43.gif

Up to 2 hours - £1.00
Up to 3 hours - £1.80
Up to 4 hours - £4.40
Over 5 hours - £5.50

To add to Mike's post, whilst the Council now charge to park in their car park, there is free on road parking around the church in St Paul's Square behind the Town Hall and in Needwood St and Rangemore St off it. Being a Saturday, these shouldn't be full of commuters who park there during the week! A quick look at Google Maps (other map providers are available) will show you where I mean and how to get to them round the one way system in that bit of Burton.

Look forward to seeing you there, though as I finish work at 1.20am on the morning of the show and will have been in marking the floor plan out from 7.30, I'll be the grumpy, sleepy one, or in the bar after 11am!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Heard a brief report on local radio that Burton Town Hall was used as a Hospital during the First World War. There is a photo of the Main Hall full of beds on the BBC website here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ws1jc

At the show I'll be in the fourth bed on the left with Paul Martin of EDM Models . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• RMweb Premium

Pardon!!!!!

You definitely have a way with words Mike.

Phil T.

What I meant was that based on the old photo, our stand will be in the position of bed 4 - and you and Tim will be in number 3 . . . . but really it's just another way of bumping the show to the top of the list again !  :sungum:  

• RMweb Premium

Heard a brief report on local radio that Burton Town Hall was used as a Hospital during the First World War. There is a photo of the Main Hall full of beds on the BBC website here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ws1jc

At the show I'll be in the fourth bed on the left with Paul Martin of EDM Models . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In best Kenneth Williams voice "OOH Matron".................

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

"BUMP"

About as ready as we can be - had a panic phone call earlier from an exhibitor trying to get in touch with Andy as he had been to the Town Hall to set up and there wasn't anyone there - we don't have access until 8.00am tomorrow. He had also misplaced his hotel details and didn't know where he was staying. Andy was out at the pub (where else!) in an area with a limited phone signal but when he went to the loo (as you do after few beers!) he finally got my text message and sorted the problem. Just hope everything runs smoothly tomorrow. . . . . .

I visited this show for the first time this morning. A cracking event, reasonably priced, and with lots to see. I was quite surprised at the number of exhibits with some real quality layouts. I may not be a 7mm or narrow gauge modeller, but came away with a couple of cheap, second hand 009 carriages. A few years ago I bought a 009 loco from a certain auction site because it was painted in the livery of the fictional Skarloey Railway. Althought the couplings on these coaches are not compatable I can see that, having a complete train, may just trigger a new modelling project at some point in the future!

• RMweb Premium

Glad you enjoyed your visit Andy - we managed a wave across the room but didn't get chance to have a chat as I was quite busy helping Paul and we were having awful problems with the credit card machine. Although we seemed to have a full signal, it failed to connect many times but eventually everyone got served - we did the usual trick of switching it off and on again and a few times I took a walk outside to see if that helped. We blamed the residents of Burton - they must have all been in the supermarkets buying booze for the match tonight and putting the costs onto their cards which overloaded the network !!

Glad you enjoyed your visit Andy - we managed a wave across the room but didn't get chance to have a chat as I was quite busy helping Paul and we were having awful problems with the credit card machine. Although we seemed to have a full signal, it failed to connect many times but eventually everyone got served - we did the usual trick of switching it off and on again and a few times I took a walk outside to see if that helped. We blamed the residents of Burton - they must have all been in the supermarkets buying booze for the match tonight and putting the costs onto their cards which overloaded the network !!

Hope the day went well for you Mike. I did pop over to say hi, but saw you were having problems with the machine and were busy. The little one was keeping me fairly busy, although she managed to stay in one place long enough for me to spend some money! Her mum has not trained her well enough!!

• RMweb Premium

A most enjoyable exhibition as ever meeting many friends old and new.

All three Stafford Railway Circles member's layouts had there moments but nothing drastic.

Alstone Quay, Blakecaster and Lognor all 0.16.5

All,for now

Eltel

Archived