Finchley Road &Hendon Midland Railway Stations references - photos of model now in progress.

Jamiel

I am looking to plan and build a three story station building for a station set in a cutting, with the main entrance on the first story, on a road bridge, for my fictional Midland Region BR layout ‘Ellerby’ (set principally in the 1960’s and also to run some blue 70’s stock too).

My initial plans for the station building just don’t fit the style of midland architecture, and after quite a bit of research I have found some photos of Finchley Road Midland Station which was only open 1868 to 1927, which would fit both the region and geography of the station building I wish to build.

Hendon Midland Station also had a very similar design, and also a frontage directly on to the road, rather than the shops and arch at Finchley Road.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/finchley_road/  - has the best images, or rather almost all the images I have found of the station building. I found a couple of others on-line, and there are a couple in ‘A Pictorial Record of Midland Railway Architecture’ V.R. Anderson and G.K. Fox Oxford Publishing Co (OPC) (which I have a copy of).

The buildings have a very similar feel to the Great Central station buildings, like Magna (Wigston) for instance, but the Finchley Road and Hendon stations had a footbridge separate to the road bridge built on to the main station building, which would be a nice feature, and also make the model distinct from the Great Central style.

The cluster of smaller buildings behind the main square building would also make for interesting modelling.

My model will not be an exact copy of the building, as I may wish to make something of a cross between the Finchley Road arch entrance and the Hendon portico, but having the reference material will help make the rest of the building accurate in style and function. I did something very similar using reference material from Birmingham New Street for the basis of my goods building last year - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby/page-2 (post 45 onwards mostly).

If anyone can recommend any other sources of images or even plans of the station buildings at Finchley Road or Hendon Midland stations or if you can recommend any publications that might have good reference material, I would be most grateful.

Jamie

The Roy Burrows collection, the photos for which are managed by Kidderminster Railway Museum has some images. I know because I catalogued them!

Also the Midland Railway Study Centre website has a search facility so you can see what they have. Hendon produced 159 hits so plenty to look at.

post-4697-0-39535800-1400786904_thumb.jpg

It might also be worth contacting Jim Connor, formerly of The London Railway Record, Connor & Butler, Colchester. I'm pretty sure there was an article with good photgraphs of Finchley Road a while back. As a young child I lived in Rosemont Road NW3 and our back yard overlooked Finchley Road signal box which was positioned just north of the old station platforms.

Thank you all for the information, I will have a look through the links over the next couple of days.

The layout sounds like a nice project too, I am only picking odd buildings that fit the geography I have created, so my layout is both fictitious and a bit of a mongrel as far as prototype sources are concerned, although they do keep to midland region references.

I will post plans as I start to work on them, as I tend to make up a Photoshop plan to print off and work to, but that might take a little while.

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that Finchley Road has had two different railway stations over the years.

The current station is 'Finchely Road and Frognall', but it is the older Midland Station originally called 'Finchely Road and & St John’s Wood' that I am seeking information on. There is also the Tube Station (I think that is separate again) to confuse matters.

The EBmrs model looks fantastic, and is a good reference for the style of architecture in the area, but is 'Finchely Road and Frognall'.

Thanks for all the help, and if anyone can point me towards photos or information about the Midland station open from 1868 to 1927 (closed completely in 1983 - whatever that means) I would be most grateful.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

I have found some plans and photos of a station building which sits on a platform with an entrance on a bridge on the first floor at Water Orton, between Nuneaton and Birmingham New Street, on the excellent Warwickshirerailways website:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/waterorton.htm

It is not the same design, but is good reference, especially as there are plans, and they show how the interior rooms are broken down. There is also reference from some of the photos for the kind of detail I may wish to add.

If anyone does come across any references for the 'Finchely Road and & St John’s Wood' or 'Hendon' station buildings I would still be very grateful.

When I start to get further with the plans I will post some images for feedback.

Thank you for the replies and posts people ave made. As I am modelling a ficticious location, all material is helpful in giving me reference to the kind of buildings such stations would have.

Jamie

• 1 year later...

A long time since I covered this topic, but s good week for researching my station building. I spent the morning at the National Railway Museum. where I got to see original plans for the Midland Railway Finchley Road Station, built when the St. Albans to St.Pancras line was made. I can't share those photos due to copyright, but I will share my plans for the building I derive from them.

I also got a couple of books about that Mainland Line, and one, 'The London Extension of the Midland Railway. St.Pancras to Bedford' by Geoff Goslin, has a pretty good photo of the Hendon Station building, which is the same design as Finchley Road station. I now have plenty of information to start seriously designing the main station building. These particular stations are of interest as they are entered from a bridge over the railway as I want with Ellerby, and are also a Midland design.

Hendon01.jpg

Disused stations also has some details on the station too.
http://www.disused-s.../finchley_road/

I will also have to start working out what etches I will need for windows, and I gather that Geoff Smith is scaling back his line, so if he does not have the sizes I am looking for I may have to do some research elsewhere.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the plans which I have drawn up based on the above images, and the plans I was able to photograph (but not share - copyright) from the National Railway Museum. Some compromises for space, and some leeway for available materials. I will look into the window etches in more detail to see if I can match more closely the original in some respects. The big windows will have to be a scratch build.

EllerbyFront01.jpg

EllerbyPlatSide01.jpg

EllerbyBack01.jpg

EllerbyOppSide01.jpg

A little sourcing of parts, but hopefully I can make a start on this soon. More details on my Ellerby thread.

Jamie

• 11 months later...

Well it has been a year since I posted, and I didn't get underway with the station building until this last Autumn. Here are some in progress images of how the building is going. As I said above the back buildings has been cut back to fit the available space. I also increased the height of the platform level floor of the building and also the pitch of the roof compared to the above plans. I tend to regard the plans as a starting point but am always willing to make changes during construction of things don't look right.

StnMain119.jpg

StnMain84.jpg

StnMain98.jpg

StnMain107.jpg

There are a lot of in progress photos and writing in my Ellerby thread linked below.

Jamie

Archived