Building a North British/MAN 330hp 0-4-0DH - JOB DONE

It's the one at Chasewater, ex of a pair at a tin plate works in south Wales of which one I don't quite remember, but they were different to the SCOW ones in that they were to BR loading gauge.

Yes the 5 cylinder National is orignal, quite a lot of the 50's Bagnalls were national engined as the company was in the same group. for a start all the NCB Bagnalls were national engined, although Tilsley and Lovet made good trade out of droping Paxman RPH series engines, Hem Heath 4D WB 3119 had had thus done, but she pulled a liner so I know that's due to end up having a Dorman 6Q replacing the 4RPH. Almost appropriate when you consider that Bagnalls were purchased by W.H.Dorman just before English Electric Purchased Dorman Diesels for it's range of engines only to end up with a loco builder that id didn't really want... Funny how stories get retold the EE went out to take over W.G.Bagnalls....

Sorry if I let this drift even more off topic!

Ah, thanks Beatty 139. I hadn't realised that Nationals had seen that much railway use.

There's a photo of the Chasewater Brush Bagnall, and another couple of photos of the National engine, part way down this page;

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/tag/brush-bagnall/

Thanks again,

And now, sculling furiously back to the main stream of the thread.

Lovely job on the NB kit Adam, I'm very tempted....

What shade of green have you used? You may recall I anguished myself over a livery for my steelworks fleet before going with Darlington Apple green.

Not to worry Arthur: the green is Humbrol 30, treated with several coats of Klear. I had quite a clear idea of the sort of green I was after, goodness knows why, and had this in hand from the mix I used on my Sentinel (1 part of this to 1 of grass green if you're interested: matched to some colour pictures of green steam Sentinels).

As for choosing the NB - I wanted something boxy and 'ordinary' that wasn't a Ruston or a Hunslet.

Adam

Nightmares with MAN built engines or North British built MAN engines?

Just curious as I've read that NB found the transition from building simple steam locomotives to building, relatively, complex Diesel engines difficult.

North British had big problems with the MAN units and from what I've found out after rebuilding two of them is that you have to do a quality job and take no shortcuts in the rebuild or maintenance of them. Paxman fitted shunters do seem to fair better and I do wonder how things would have turned out if they had used Gardner 8L3's which they had put forward in a failed tender to BR

They had no real problems with the Voith transmissions which for me were trouble free and they had great success with them in the class 14/22/43/52

Original MAN units from Germany do go for large amounts of money and are in demand today as I have looked into getting one of these but would have cost more than the shunter

Any way lets get back on topic, after seeing Adams work I think I might be talking to Mr Edge for a model of D2774 in NCB livery

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glevumblues/6050158148/in/pool-1337593@N25

Keep up the good work Adam

Robin

And a bit more paint, nothing hugely exciting. The red looks quite loud here and should really be edged in black with a white line between since that's how NB painted the things (Barclay did something similar). Has anyone got a couple of spare lengths of LNER white/black/white lining?

The red, btw, is three thin coats of Humbrol matt scarlet, #60 over white. Over pink, i.e., doing it properly, I could probably have got away with only two.

NBL8.gif.46e14ccacd1790f9c0baa2ab96b8a50e.gif

Couplings and bufferheads done. Once the chassis works properly (the wheels are quartered, but needs testing under power which I can't do here; next time I'm in Somerset in a few weeks), I can go on and finish it.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 5

Adam, I've got some HMRS LNER loco lining, Pressfix I think, and you are more than welcome to have a few lengths if that's suitable. It's the white/black/white you need, yes? How much, in terms of length (allow yourself plenty of spare)?

If that's of interest pm me your address and I'll get it in the post, probably for Monday as we're away this weekend.

One little job that I've been meaning to do for a while is to do something about the 'see-through' nature of etched diesels. This used to be a standard feature of etched diesel models (and quite a few steam ones) and was most spectacularly evident on things like 7mm scale EE Type 3s/class 37s. I have seen more that several models where looking over the roof fan or at the side grills where one was rewarded with a nice view of the drive system or the track. Such things happened in 4mm as well but bigger models offer more visible problems.

NBL11.gif.3c3f2b4709bbacc11a7524b493967f50.gif

On the NBL this is simple enough: behind that big grill at the front there should be a radiator rather than the back end of a Mashima with a flywheel hanging from it. I could just have plonked a lump of plastic sheet in there but well, how hard can a dummy radiator be?

NBL_Radiator.gif.31fdff7754a1584d41ce352635bc5621.gif

A few scraps of 40 thou' with a 15 thou' overlay and here we are. I made no effort whatsoever to seek out a shot of a real NBL radiator. The 'detail' is pure speculation. There's a baseplate with a hole that locates over the fixing nut and in time it will be painted and epoxied in place. Job mostly done.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 5

And, for Arthur's benefit, since he very kindly provided some suitable transfers, the current state of play. I couldn't persuade the Pressfix transfers round the tightest corner but I think the effort at touching in has done the job reasonably tidily. 

NBL12.gif.8c218c03ce4ba7b5fe5a09e8e9c09d91.gif

NBL13.gif.e7c5a94a911f0b2d3013a6b0dd18776b.gif

These daft Scottish builders and their swanky paintjobs...

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 11

Oh yes, that really sets off the paint job. Probably quite fiddly to do Adam, but well with the effort.

You had better believe it! Lousy pictures though, not enough light...

Adam

Bit of a fiddle on the real thing as well, but worth it! See:

http://realrail.smugmug.com/Trains/NBL-D2767#!/

Now that does look nice. :)

I do like to see these small locos well-treated and painted properly.

What with this and my Sentinel I've become quite interested in manufacturers' standard paint schemes. I must do a Hunslet saddle tank in a factory finish some day. That's basically black with small panels of colour edged with contrasting lining. While smart, it does look a bit odd!

It's had a coat of Matt lacquer this morning and is now waiting for me to finish the chassis. Further progress may be slow...

Adam

• Like 1

Now that does look nice. :)

I do like to see these small locos well-treated and painted properly.

Very nice, helped paint D2774 many moons ago, never got round to putting the lining on before she went north

Here, at last, we have a fully mechanically fitted out chassis. Wheels on, quartered, balance weights fitted and faired in with Milliput, motor offered up to the gearbox and flywheel installed.

NBL14.gif.f2786dce4e6d2347829ed55dc9637747.gif

All good? Well, er, not quite. I've just cut another small section out of the front of the footplate to allow the flywheel in. Oops. This means sacrificing one of the two chassis securing nuts  but the chassis is a good fit and there's one at the back end which will do the job just as well. Iain Rice, I recall, suggests using only one in any event so as not to distort the chassis by inadvertent over-tightening.

Now to make up some pick ups and wire everything up the wrong way round. 

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Glad you put a link from your blog because I'd completely missed this one.

Very nice indeed, though I'm disappointed you didn't paint it yellow...

Is it going to get a name?

I can't be painting everything yellow Andrew! I wasn't planning on naming it either. It doesn't seem right, naming diesel shunters. The next industrial project will be named but I have a few other things in the pipeline first. One of these will be yellow, and named, as it happens... ;)

Adam

Edited by Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly done. It works, though the paint on the wheels and Rods is still wet as I type this, and I even managed to wire this one up the right way about for once.

NBL16.gif.d5960d499cf5f35ba21b389e5285114a.gif

NBL17.gif.f3e4e82c60a94e2f718e632058daac12.gif

This is the 'interesting' side with the open cab door. The other side looks, well, much the same. Note that the front sandpipes aren't attached yet (though the boxes are) since it isn't yet up to its fighting weight and I'd rather not sort these out until I only need to take the body off occasionally.

Once I've weathered it and if the atmospherics allow some pictures in daylight will be taken.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Adam,

Really nice model, but I have a question, was it common practice to paint the wheels the body colour when in industrial use?

Presumably the BR ones were green with black wheels, red rods, but I have not seen colour shots of the industrial ones.

David

There aren't many colour shots of industrial ones, so that isn't  so surprising. My view is that NBL generally followed steam practice on this and painted the wheels the main livery colour. The Cadbury fleet had wheels which matched the bodywork though it isn't always easy to tell:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_cad120.htm

This NBL official shows fully lined out wheels, I think in the main livery colour, probably mid-green, bare metal rods (which is what contemporary ads of their's suggest was usual):

Finally, there's this preserved example which seems to have had a repaint at some point, though the lettering is in the original style:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62973-ncb-north-british-shunter/

As ever, there's an element of guesswork in this, but I think this is about right.

Adam

Hi. Second link is same as first one!

There aren't many colour shots of industrial ones, so that isn't  so surprising. My view is that NBL generally followed steam practice on this and painted the wheels the main livery colour. The Cadbury fleet had wheels which matched the bodywork though it isn't always easy to tell:

This NBL official shows fully lined out wheels, I think in the main livery colour, probably mid-green, bare metal rods (which is what contemporary ads of their's suggest was usual):

Finally, there's this preserved example which seems to have had a repaint at some point, though the lettering is in the original style:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62973-ncb-north-british-shunter/

As ever, there's an element of guesswork in this, but I think this is about right.

Adam

Excellent, nice to see that some had the wheels painted in body colour and not just the NB ones. I particularly like the Mersey Hunslet.

The whole area of Industrial diesels seems a fascinating subject and not as well covered by photos.

Mike Edge has a lot to answer for, as having previously had little interest in these I have now bought a NB 0-4-0 kit which is in progress ( I posted a few pictures earlier in this thread) and am looking to buy more (the NB 0-6-0 looks a real beast!)

Adam, any chance of posting some photos of your loco on a layout?

David.