Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Ron Parren

tc

The Model Railway Club is saddened to announce the death of Vice President Ron Parren on 21st May 2014.

Ron, a banker by profession, brought his leadership and management skills to the Club as Chairman and Exhibition Manager for many years. He was also a good modeller.

Our sincere condolences are extended to Pat, their four children and the family.

The funeral will take place in East Sussex on June 5th, please PM for further details.

When I lived in SE London, Ron often used to give me a lift home after MRC meetings at Keen House. 

Later, when a small group of MRC members started on the Bembridge P4 layout, Ron was instrumental in persuading the MRC committee - and especially his predecessor as Chairman, John Anning - that constructing it at Keen House was very much in the interests of the Club and its members. As a gesture of thanks, the layout was always billed as having been built by members of the Model Railway Club rather than by named individuals. Although Ron contributed little other than advice and encouragement to the construction of the layout itself, his pair of ex-LBSCR IoW carriages formed the backbone of the layout's coaching stock.

post-10038-0-02187100-1401052510.jpg

photo courtesy of British Rail

The photo shows Ron's carriages on Bembridge. The young lady helping me at the controls is Ron's eldest daughter Carol who then worked with me at Sealink and who had become well known to modellers as a regular Guide seller at Central Hall shows.

Archived