Brampton Road

wireman

No beach today so had couple of hours in railway shed. Fitted LED's to panel and sorted wiring left after removing the old fiddle yard panel. The blue wires. Indicator lights are labelled  1 - 6 in the box and terminate in a block under the yard base board, also labelled 1 - 6, must of been a rare moment of doing things properly when I did this couple of years ago. The white wires are to point motors and as these had been used to switch points together at both ends of the yard, plus a couple of diodes for partial route setting, took a while to sort. However, all sorted and labelled ready for point motor fitting then wiring to the new panel.

post-3742-0-28001100-1533660899_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-82327900-1533660936_thumb.jpg

No beach for next few days as things to be done, so should be able to fit a few point motors.

Regards Brian. ( wireman ).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A unexpected couple of hours free during two mornings this week allowed me to wire and connect the yard panel, plus fit and connect the rest of the point motors. My plan to use the existing wires in the box did not work as all the white wires were to short to reach the new swiches. No matter, new ones were soon cut and fitted. These two pictures show the panel wiring and the panel actually in use, although I still have to cut and label the small loco. identification tiles. An idea from my visits to Coleborne Junction.

post-3742-0-94465800-1534518707_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-91930400-1534518801_thumb.jpg

Although not shown on the panel, as can be seen from the previous yard track pictures, tracks 6 - 3 and 1 lead to the turntable.

This completes the fiddle yard and station alterations so the next part is to cut the platforms and then plan a small town scene in the space thats left.

I had planned to keep the lifting flap to use as a scenic area but have decided to remove this altogether. All this will probably take me into the winter period and by then I should have a plan for the station building etc.which can be built in the house during the cold and wet weather.

Hope all or some of this makes sense.

Regards. Brian.  (wireman )

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Not a great deal of railway time this week, but I have now made the Ident. tiles for each loco. These are simply short lengths of 6mm square wood, painted black and labelled.

post-3742-0-27926300-1536338688_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows how I intend to use them.

post-3742-0-48279400-1536338793_thumb.jpg

The pic. shows fiddle yard roads 5, 4 & 1 have trains ready, Track 4 tile is upside down, showing that the loco. is running tender first.

The upper two rows are engines in the scenic and visible part of the layout. I intend to use these two lines for things around the engine shed and have realised I will have to fit another row to the main switch panel for anything in the vicinity of the station.

Locos. in store in the fiddle yard not being used, will have the tile placed on the tender ready for use.

Also managed to fit edging boards along the fiddle yard sides to prevent things being knocked when moving around and painted them black,looks a lot neater.

Regards. Brian.  ( wireman )

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A start on the platforms.  I had always intended to use the Peco southern region style concrete for the platform face as I had done on the previous station and purchased 5 packs of these  plus four sheets of 1.5mm plastic card to cut for the platform surface. I had laid cork over the whole of the station area on the assumption that the edging would be the correct height from the rail top when fitted but found that it stood 15 mm high ( 3ft.9" ) instead of the 12 mm I expected ( 3ft. ). Posssibly the Peco height is correct, or their measurement assumed the track was already on ballast of some type. Either way, it did not look right so I had to remove the cork between the tracks where the platforms will fit. A tedious job. Never mind, the platforms are well underway.

post-3742-0-45483600-1537286424_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-74846300-1537286645_thumb.jpg

I hope to complete these during the next week but will not fix them down untill at least some of the painting of the platform and track is done. If anyone knows differently about platform heights, please do not tell me, as  I have had enough of scrapping cork off and will not be putting it back.

Regards Brian ( wireman )

• Like 5

A start on the platforms.  I had always intended to use the Peco southern region style concrete for the platform face as I had done on the previous station and purchased 5 packs of these  plus four sheets of 1.5mm plastic card to cut for the platform surface. I had laid cork over the whole of the station area on the assumption that the edging would be the correct height from the rail top when fitted but found that it stood 15 mm high ( 3ft.9" ) instead of the 12 mm I expected ( 3ft. ). Posssibly the Peco height is correct, or their measurement assumed the track was already on ballast of some type. Either way, it did not look right so I had to remove the cork between the tracks where the platforms will fit. A tedious job. Never mind, the platforms are well underway.

attachicon.gifP1060615.JPG

attachicon.gifP1060613.JPG

I hope to complete these during the next week but will not fix them down untill at least some of the painting of the platform and track is done. If anyone knows differently about platform heights, please do not tell me, as  I have had enough of scrapping cork off and will not be putting it back.

Hi....

Great to see how your layout is developing.....

With regards to platform heights.....I've yet to 'cross that particular bridge' but save to say that these in real life seem to be varying heights and clearances, just think of the time you've heard 'mind the gap' or beware when stepping down off the train over carriage speakers.....as long as there's adequate clearance and the running board of the carriage is just clear of the upper platform surface it'll be fine with me on my layout when I come to that stage...

This may help....

post-20610-0-97571100-1537374089.jpg

Good work Brian....

Regards always..

Bob

Edited by BobM

Many thanks for reply Bob, indeed our local station is built on a very tight curve and the gap can be very wide indeed. My platform clearance has been dictated by my 08 shunter, which, with the exception of carriages on a curve, is the widest of my stock.

Many thanks.

Brian.  ( wireman )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1 shade of grey, no, not E L James, Halfords grey primer, where would we be without it. Platforms complete but not fixed to board. Although when I had drawn the outline of them on the baseboard all looked well, but when testing clearances etc. as I was building them, I thought that a pacific and four coaches looked very cramped on the arrival side. The result being that I have extended both platforms by 80mm ( 20ft. ). This is at the expense of room for the town scene at the ends. Also had to refit 80mm of cork !!! See notes above. I may now also reconsider the previously discounted cross over. ( 9th July. )

post-3742-0-02764300-1538319673_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-26881500-1538319717_thumb.jpg

Will decide about the cross over this week.

I did not read 50 shades of grey when I realised it was not a book about weathering.

Regards Brian. ( wireman ).

• Like 4

Concrete and Grey, sounds like a song title, but no, just a start at painting the platforms. The picture is of  West country Ottery St. Mary, signal off, just waiting guards whistle then away to Waterloo. This will be the last train out before an engineering possession to allow fitting of the crossover between platforms.

post-3742-0-21423200-1538752548_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-02350400-1538752583_thumb.jpg

Time will be limited during the next couple of weeks so work may over run. Probably have a South Today reporter around demanding to know why.

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

Concrete and Clay. Unit Four + Two 1965

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Taking advantage of  a rainy day has enabled me to fit the crossover between the platforms.  Track wiring is complete, using a couple of DCC DC08 auto frog switches. I have five of these fitted now, and they really are fit and forget.  Point motors are ready but await fitting.  The end of the arrivals road has, at present, a Peco uncoupler, everything arriving has to be uncoupled so providing the engine is stopped in the correct place, the shunting loco. attaching to the stock, is enough to release the tension lock couplings from the train engine, enabling the stock to be pulled away.

Another uncoupler will be fiited before the point on this side but will need to be a power operated one.

Rainy days and  Mondays   Wednesdays are not all bad.

Regards.  Brian.

Rainy days and Mondays.  Carpenters 1971.

Edited by wireman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

A little behind my planned schedule now, but a little weathering and platform edge painting has allowed me to finaly fix the platforms in place. The track has had a coat of sleeper grime and will receive further treatment after ballasting. Thoughts are now turning to the station building etc.

post-3742-0-76639000-1542553308_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-14006700-1542553351_thumb.jpg

I have thought of re-using the old station building, removing the small canopy and then scratch building a deeper one, then extending the canopies to both sides of the building. Mmmm.

Regards Brian . ( wireman )

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Although progress has been limited over the Christmas / New year  period, I was suprised to see that my last post was in November.  Having had a zimo sound chip fitted to my 08, I have been distracted playing trains, but progress has been made. The track and ballast in the station area has been painted and the buildings used on the previous town scene have been temporarily placed in position. I have removed more of the old coal yard and the small weighbridge hut to allow re-use of the allotment salvaged from before all the alterations started. The bank, shops, hotel and pavement have just been moved from the right corner, ( when Brampton road was a through station) to the left corner, I  would like to say this was carefull planning but it was just pure luck. Nothing is fixed in place yet, but I'm quite happy with this set up so will probably fix things in place soon.

P1060736.JPG.e5f3ffc1dabad228b03a0a7331352894.JPG

P1060737.JPG.fabef7b49c4952e7b40d11052aa9047d.JPGP1060737.JPG.fabef7b49c4952e7b40d11052aa9047d.JPGP1060737.JPG.fabef7b49c4952e7b40d11052aa9047d.JPG

I may make the sidings slightly longer.

Regards. Brian ( wireman )

Edited by wireman
duplication of photograph, spelling,
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Rather a long time since my last entry, but I did eventually lengthen the two sidings which I mentioned I might do. It will not make much difference operationaly but certainly looks better. I also decided not to locate the allotment in the position shown but decided instead to re-instate the coal yard. Much still to be done. I intend to fence between the yard  and and the town, plus I am awaiting the arrival of the Bachmann Concrete bus shelter at my local shop and may well fit one , possibly two in the town square area. The 1960's would certainly be more buses than cars!  1965 saw my first car. A Morris 1000 for which I paid £50.00 which I could ill afford. Petrol being around 4 shillings a gallon.

P1060861.JPG.91749ad2a0ea6db60617482c8ca9ebb5.JPG

P1060856.JPG.59e853769ff3bf02b6d7299cc795178d.JPG

Best Regards Brian  ( wireman ).

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress around the coal yard, although I should really be working on the station its self.

1885081702_P1060924(2).JPG.5ab71431c5db2b469ce447b94ea50f62.JPG

P1060928.JPG.bc613d6a794f155795d80aec38baf8b8.JPG

The small right angle wall which is in the road is in going to be at the end of the sidings, I had not noticed it there when I took the picture.

Edited by wireman
spelling
  • Like 7

The wall mentioned above has now been fitted in its rightfull place at the end of the sidings. The platform ends have also been fenced and the town area is now on hold untill the arrival of the Bachmann Concrete bus shelters. Next, the station buildings and fittings.

P1060931.JPG.0bbfa7189181ade8c0fe208f26def895.JPG

P1060932.JPG.aa97391f1603ca22c148a3c291006ca3.JPG

P1060933.JPG.f729054eaf8316b475434e5cfa734932.JPG

Regards Brian.  ( wireman )

• Like 5

A little more progress on the siding ends, couple of buffer stops, more grass, starting to put people on the platform etc.

First picture is progress so far with West country Weymouth, having arrived with a down express, waing to back down the platform to gain entry to the loco. shed.

P1060951.JPG.4519bf3fc6e658992408fb9ea855f95b.JPG

Then Ottery, arriving on shed.

P1060983.JPG.fc73f92594fa41239a825e910ea270d5.JPG

Last, New Zealand Line waiting for the road with an up express.

P1060971.JPG.e82d8cc16e72f9fe83036da8c06f4aee.JPG

Regards. Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

It is just over a year since the conversion of Brampton road from a roundy round to a terminus station started and April since I last made an entry here. Initial progress , clearing the areas to be rebuilt, relaying the fiddle yard and station area was achieved in a resonable time but have since slowed considerably. It has not been lack of interest, rather a new found interest in operating. This was further enhanced by the purchase of a TTS sound chip for my S15, which, although very disapointing in its performance, did show me the possibilities of using sound on a small layout. Next came a Zimo decoder into my 08 shunter. Different ball game altogether. Much time has been spent with the simple arrival of a passenger train into the terminus, the 08 trundling out to pull off the coaches over the crossover into the up platform, returning to tick over in the bay or siding whilst an engine from the shed runs out and backs on to the train. The arriving engine can back down and enter the engine shed  to the turntable for turning , then to shed ready for its next turn. The up train may start or perhaps a local may run into the bay. In which case the 08 is out again or if only a three coach train into platform 2 and once the up express has departed can run round its coaches ready for departure or pull them forward to shunt into the bay. I now have Zimo sound chips in both of the west countrys and intend when funds permit to sound chip the yankee tank and the 80000 std. 4 tank. Athough my loco stud has never been large I have started a cull of those that are never used to help create the funds. Less is more I think is the modern saying. Recently however I have determined to stop playing and continue buildin and a start has been made on the station buildings. The main station building is to be the modified kit from the old layou with a new canopy plus an extension canopy alongside.

The first pic is the building with old canopy removed, the second is the start of the extention canopy which I am scratch building.

P1070059.JPG.74ab6f78dd9a591ca8de3ab45f93f7cd.JPG

20190719_103608.jpg.7e0cb06a5707bcb8cef3edf651fe3a59.jpg

• Like 3

I should perhaps have mentioned that after departures and arrivals to the fiddle yard during an operating session, incoming engines need to be uncoupled, turned and run round to the front of a rake of coaches or stored and a different loco used. This in its self is quite an interesting operation and normaly done after or before an operating seesion. With two operators present, one can act as signal man and fiddle yard sorter outer, keeping the station area operator quite busy.  The Hornby TTS chip developed several strange sounds all of its own and now resides in the spares box, minus a few wires I used else where.

Previous pictures have shown the fiddle yard turntable, this avoids handling stock and has proved quite successful. When founds are available I intend to change my ageing ZTC controller. More on this in the future.

• Like 2