Brampton Road

wireman

Railway shed painting over the weekend, been putting this off all summer. All done now ready for the winter. Started painting the coal bins and have cut small pieces of a dense sponge material to fit in them. These have been sealed with PVA and oversprayed matt black. When dry I will add the coal which has been suitably bashed.

post-3742-0-67031000-1473783781.jpg

post-3742-0-42441200-1473783921.jpg

Regards Brian. ( Wireman )

• Like 5

Coal now added and the bins glued in place. The coal pieces look larger in the photograph than I expected, in reality I think they are about right for domestic coal. I think the road needs darkening a little and still no decision on what to use as the weighbridge table surface. Whilst filling the bins, I took the opportunity to fill a couple of wagons as up to now they have all run empty.

post-3742-0-06419500-1474196723.jpg

post-3742-0-17940400-1474196833.jpg

Hopefully will be able to make more progress in the next couple of days, plus glue the huts chimney back in place. I am still looking for a late 50's model JCB.

Regards Brian  (wireman).

• Like 8

Away from the coal bins for a moment, the next two pictures show that the hinge on the far side still needs covering and the area from  the hinge up to the the houses is going to become an overgrown allotment. This area is where the flap rest when open, so has to be fairly low although there should be room for a garden shed close to the houses. Plus fences etc. I will be going to the Great Electric Train show in a couple of weeks time, so will see what can be found in the way of small plants for this area.

post-3742-0-51160000-1474540513.jpg

This part also needs covering, why I did one side and not the other I have no idea, plus the small embankment between the railway and the yard needs a great deal more vegitation and of course fencing not to mention finishing the area between the two rail tracks.

post-3742-0-43958200-1474540554.jpg

Regards Brian. ( wireman ).

• Like 6

Away from the coal bins for a moment, the next two pictures show that the hinge on the far side still needs covering and the area from  the hinge up to the the houses is going to become an overgrown allotment. This area is where the flap rest when open, so has to be fairly low although there should be room for a garden shed close to the houses. Plus fences etc. I will be going to the Great Electric Train show in a couple of weeks time, so will see what can be found in the way of small plants for this area.

attachicon.gif1-P1050248.JPG

This part also needs covering, why I did one side and not the other I have no idea, plus the small embankment between the railway and the yard needs a great deal more vegitation and of course fencing not to mention finishing the area between the two rail tracks.

attachicon.gif1-P1050246.JPG

Looking Good there Brian, I hope to get to GETS on the Saturday, also hoping to see Ray H there as well.

Hi Andrew, thanks for kind comments, have only recently started looking at some of you own offerings and in particular Pencarne Junction. Excellent.  Going to GETS on Sunday this year due to prior engagement on Saturday. Although a couple of hours drive from here, I think this is a great venue and much prefer this show to the NEC.

Cheers Brian.

• Like 1

Side tracked again. A second Dapol signal has arrived, 14mm hole drilled, signal fitted and wired. The signal on the left is down main starter and on the right, bay to down main starter.

post-3742-0-96092100-1474891493.jpg

post-3742-0-11572100-1474891529.jpg

Little operating session this morning, no trains ran, just putting signals up and down. Little things !

• Like 6

Spent a little time last week improving the shed floor insulation, not the easiest of task as the shed had to be emptied to achieve this. I know I've been saving all this stuff for a reason, I just don't remember the reason, still, put it all back in just in case there was a reason. Layout progress was limited to finishing covering the hinges etc. and some work between the tracks.

post-3742-0-42895000-1475513024.jpg

post-3742-0-62891300-1475513057.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Coal bins again. I wanted the coal lorry to be next to the bins on the lifting flap, but did not want to glue it, prefering to be able to move it if required. The solution was to glue a nut under the chassis, with a hole through the board for the bolt to attach it. This idea is not mine although I have no idea where I read or saw  this idea. If possible, drill a clearance hole for the bolt in the chassis to allow it to pass through the nut when attached. This means the bolt length is not critical, 2 or 3 mm to long is fine, plus, if there is no hole beneath the nut, should the bolt reach the bottom and touch the chassis any further movement will force the nut off. Ideally, the nut should be about centre, front or back will result in the vehicle tipping one way or the other when the bolt is fitted.

post-3742-0-39556300-1477153312.jpg

The lorry in the pics. is not the one in previous shots. All I can say is that the metal these chassis are made from is very brittle and inclined to shatter easily.!!!!

post-3742-0-70955100-1477153608.jpg

post-3742-0-64565500-1477153690.jpg

Regards. Brian.  ( Wireman ).

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Not really much progress in last couple of weeks, started planning where to erect the gate into the coal yard, little more detail on the weybridge hut but the coal men are still waiting for sacks shovels and some means of bringing the coal from the railway wagons. Managed to dislodge the hut chimney again !!!!

post-3742-0-14698800-1478086626.jpg

A Yankee tank loco. transfered from the docks has arrived to help the sheds resident 08.

post-3742-0-82730500-1478086843.jpg

post-3742-0-89347500-1478086884.jpg

I believe another one of these has been allocated to the main shed at Coleborne Junction, I'm off there this afternoon so will report back.

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures at the moment, although further detailing around the coal bins etc.continues. The coal men are still saving up for shovels and sacks and the weybridge hut still waiting for chimney repairs. When posting pictures of the Yankee tank engine I had forgotten to mention that for people here in the south, two of this type are presently being restored by the Project 62 group at Shillingstone. The groups website provides a wealth of information on these and well worth a visit. www.project62.supanet.com.

• Like 1

Across the tracks from the coal yard, at the end of the houses, is going to an allotment. The picture shows the area painted in a dark earth colour, but my normal lack of forward planning means that I have to lean across the weybridge, fencing etc. to work on this, so I will clear this area and build a sub base which can bre dropped in place when completed. This also means it can be taken to the house to work on during next few weeks of cold wet weather. This is not to say other work on the far embankment has stopped, fencing etc. is being made plus one of the starting signals, replaced by a Dapol one, has had the arm changed and is now a distant, to be fixed on the down side after the bridge.

post-3742-0-86300800-1480081927.jpg

The next two pictures are of progress so far of the coal yard entance.

post-3742-0-88285400-1480082041.jpg

post-3742-0-36271200-1480082079.jpg

So far the weather has been quite mild but just in case, I have bought a new frost protection thermostat , connected to a small convector heater. My experience has been that the stats. on the heaters themselves can be quite unreliable.

• Like 8

The allotment area mentioned above has now been cleared and a card sub base cut to fit. It's amazing what can be achieved with a 2 inch paint scraper in such a short time.

post-3742-0-57043600-1480691338.jpg

Hopefully, pics. of the growing allotment will follow soon.

Brian ( wireman )

A start has been made on the allotment area, very little progress but a start at least. the shed at one end and runner beans at the other. The runner bean end will be fenced and gated with a path to the shed alongside the railway. The rest will be plots of vegatables. paths etc. There is a plan !!!

post-3742-0-12296400-1481362924.jpg

I mentioned before, my intention to place a distant signal in the embankment after the bridge. I have never been happy with this area and during a recent visit by Nick of Coleborne Junction this problem came up in conversation. The trouble stems from lack of height, the bank should start at the height of the road going over the the bridge or there would be no reason to have a bridge. Obvious when you think about it, which I obviously did not thnk about it.

post-3742-0-71567700-1481363540.jpg

The answer lay, once again,with the two inch paint scrapper.

post-3742-0-94565500-1481363646.jpg

Removing several layers of cork, plaster and static grass proved quite challenging.

Whether Nick comes off the christmas card list or not remains open to question.

Regards. Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

A weekend of activity on the new embankment, insulation foam blocks,  ( donated by Nick of Coleborne Junction ) have been cut roughly to size and trial fitted.

post-3742-0-24694300-1483955461.jpg

Then sanded to shape and coated in PVA and Mod Rock, I have mentioned before about how messy this can be, so opted to take it to the house for this stage. Not a popular move as it turns out but it does avoid any chance of damaging anything on the layout.

post-3742-0-38295400-1483955833.jpg

At present, it looks more like a model of the local Purbeck coastline, than a railway embankment but once the first covering of static grass is added I'm hoping for .a magical transformation. The small rectangle cut out is for the distant signal, intended for this spot.

Regards. Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 4