Brampton Road

wireman

First covering of static grass,  the unit still not fixed to the base board.

post-3742-0-48646700-1484240737.jpg

The embankment now fixed in place. More static grass will be added together with fencing following the top as it slopes down. I have also built up the lower embankment on the lifting flap to follow the contour.

post-3742-0-83868600-1484241068.jpg

post-3742-0-24975400-1484241113.jpg

Regards Brian (wireman)

• Like 9

More grass etc. added to the embankment. I do not intend to add much more greenery, just fencing, telephone poles and possibly a few trackside bits. Reference to lineside photographs of the early sixties period, show most embankments to have very sparce vegetation. In particular, I would like to emulate the ones pictured around Salisbury tunnel junction, Honiton tunnel and even closer to home, Parkstone bank on the up side. I believe that cutting vegetation in such a dramatic way ended around 1968 with the demise of steam. Diesel and electric not posing a fire hazard to the ajacent lineside. Sight lines being kept clear. In fact on a journey across the New Forest recently some tree branches actually brushed the train.

post-3742-0-06706600-1484730139.jpg

Having been sidetracked by the embankment, I have returned to the allotment. Picture soon.

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 7

The allotment has now been fixed in place. I had intended to fit the trackside fencing to the sub base but this has still to be done. I also intend to fit a low wall, 6ft. at the rear against the backboard plus a small shrub / tree behind the shed. The sub assembly started to warb, painting, drilling etc taking it's toll, making it difficult to work on , so fitting to the layout a little before I intended had to happen. The shed was weathered for me by Nick at Coleborne Junction,although only a small item, I think this has made quite a difference.

post-3742-0-70847100-1485850702.jpg

Next, fit the trackside fencing, plus fencing etc. is ongoing on the new embankment.

Regards. Brian  (wireman )

• Like 7

This picture shows how the allotment fits into the layout. The concrete fencing in front of the houses will be extended along the allotment edge then changed to the post and wire type that I have used elsewhere. The weigh bridge hut still has no chimney pot.

post-3742-0-27260700-1485881454.jpg

Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

The allotment now has a wall along the far side, plus fencing has now been fittted to the embankment. The wall along the allotment is the outer wall of the grounds of a large estate and I will continue this wall, slightly higher, along the area between here and the embankment, this will then link from the overbridge and embankment at the end of the storage roads to the town. I noticed that it was about a year ago that I started this new lifting flap, but I now, eventually, have scenery from one end of the layout to the other. Lots of details still to add the the coal yard,etc. but I have decided against my original idea of fitting telegraph poles along the embankment, with the space available it all looked to crowded. The signal has still to be fitted in and along with other items around the track in this area.

post-3742-0-03146200-1488469701.jpg

post-3742-0-80859800-1488469738.jpg

Regards. Brian (wireman ).

• Like 7

Just a couple of general pics. Coal yard,  coal sacks and scales now provided but no shovels yet, plus Q1 leaving Brampton road with a small freight.

post-3742-0-78329000-1488620148.jpg

post-3742-0-45644200-1488620397.jpg

Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Rather busy with things last month or so, railway progress therefore a bit slow. Although work is proceeding on the last few bits to complete the lifting flap, I have returned to a problem from when I first started track laying a few years ago. My first plan involved a down to up crossover to be built across the door flap. ( A track diagram is a few pages back ) This was to allow down trains access to the bay platform. Because of very limited space, I used two Peco Set Track curved points to do this but running across these often resulted in derailments with longer wheelbase loco's. and meant the curve into the platform had to be very tight. So the crossover was removed and the curve into the platform eased. Frequently I have considered how to fit a crossover to achieve the original plan and the only way seems to be off the scenic area at the end of the storage roads. It is invisaged that this will be used by local passenger or short freight trains into the bay. Exit back to the down is already part of the layout. My idea is shown below using roads three and four.

post-3742-0-10301800-1493721687.jpg

post-3742-0-63250400-1493721738.jpg

The Y point and medium radius left have been purchased , and I intend to lift track, drill for point motors and lay new points during the next week. ???

Regards. Brian ( wireman )

Edited by wireman
  • Like 4

Track lifting in the storage sidings has taken place, plus the additional wall from the allotment across the flap to the embankment has been fitted. I can not decide if railway fencing would have been erected along this stretch, or if the estate wall would have sufficed

post-3742-0-82472900-1494410349.jpg

Plus track lifting.

post-3742-0-22845400-1494410419.jpg

Track laying tomorrow hopefully.

Brain.  (wireman ).

• Like 4

Hi Scott, points are now layed, wired and operational. All turnouts so far on the layout are fitted with Peco solenoid motors operated by switches on the panels, storage sidings having their own small panel. With this crossover I just did not want the bother of fitting a new switch to the panel with all the associated wires etc. that go with it. Instead I have opted for using the Gaugemaster PM10D motors which are DCC ready, each complete with built in capacitor discharge unit. The decoder can be removed and fitted along side the motor allowing fitting under the baseboard with the extension pin through a 10mm hole. A short connecting cable is supplied for this purpose. With just two wires to the BUS and screws suplied for the motor bracket these must rate as the easiest motors I have ever fitted.

post-3742-0-07212200-1494616446.jpg

Whilst fittng these, I realised that another point could be fitted off the track to road 1. ( Extreme right on picture at edge of board )  This will be just a track running far enough to store a couple of loco's and unlikely to be motorised although I will drill a 10mm hole just in case.

Rgards Brian. ( wireman )

Edited by wireman
  • Like 4

Hi Scott, points are now layed, wired and operational. All turnouts so far on the layout are fitted with Peco solenoid motors operated by switches on the panels, storage sidings having their own small panel. With this crossover I just did not want the bother of fitting a new switch to the panel with all the associated wires etc. that go with it. Instead I have opted for using the Gaugemaster PM10D motors which are DCC ready, each complete with built in capacitor discharge unit. The decoder can be removed and fitted along side the motor allowing fitting under the baseboard with the extension pin through a 10mm hole. A short connecting cable is supplied for this purpose. With just two wires to the BUS and screws suplied for the motor bracket these must rate as the easiest motors I have ever fitted.

attachicon.gif1-P1050906.JPG

Whilst fittng these, I realised that another point could be fitted off the track to road 1. ( Extreme left on picture on edge of board )  This will be just a track running far enough to store a couple of loco's and unlikely to be motorised although I will drill a 10mm hole just in case.

Rgards Brian. ( wireman )

You are soon going to need a bigger shed !! But the crossover looks good.