HO Monon inspired layout

Have an Athern set of 34 ft hoppers which need the couplers changing to Kadee no 5s and are very light, 30 gems in each case. It makes propelling a little difficult. Build dates were in WW2 so need to be aged and weathered to reflect their hard service.

post-9435-0-05150500-1493648971_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What have you used for the rusting? Vallejo?

Lifecolour - Rust set and Rail weathering. I use Mig powders such as city dust, Vietnam earth. The smoke powder has to be used very carefully as over powers everything else

Edited by enginelane

I am presently trying to weather girders on a bridge with Vallejo rusting and chipping set. Am not pleased with the result at present so I may try another way of using them. I am brushing them rather than spraying as I have no spraying space, only outdoors.

I am presently trying to weather girders on a bridge with Vallejo rusting and chipping set. Am not pleased with the result at present so I may try another way of using them. I am brushing them rather than spraying as I have no spraying space, only outdoors.

I tend to brush paint as have limited spraying plus have to be careful as can set off my asthma. These are the sets I use. They are not the cheapest but go along way especially if you purchase thinners as well. The middle set has some powders in them as well as paints.

post-9435-0-92934700-1493831810_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-04028500-1493831824_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-92172700-1493831837_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the answers.

This is mine.  It seems good on posts I have seen where it is used but I guess I need to master it.

attachicon.gifVallejo.png

Yes I did have a small set that was good for weathering wood. They were in that type of bottle. I found that brushing required a lot of layers as it seemed to go on very thin. It might have been thin so as not to fill any of the wood effect. I find the lifecolours seem to stick better to plastics and dry Matt. What colour and finish is the bridge as that could affect the overall effect. The weathering marks in the middlecset works very well for creating rust from nuts and bolt holes, especially if you use a brush moistened with thinner to pull the rust mark downwards.

I have a wood set also.  Yet to use it.  I was inspired by Emmanuel Nouaillers amazing modelling. with foam board

Yes the level of his work is indeed amazing. For him I think having very good source materials is important in achieving the 'look' .Pempoul is the closest I have seen in the U.K. Though I understand Mara Harbour is also very good

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot done since visit to Derby as those nice people from Ofsted decided to call. I am not allowed to say anything about the judgement until the formal report but can say we were not the school where the inspectors had food thrown at them.

However whilst waiting the 90 mins to be told to come up for the formal oral feedback did have a go at using the system I saw on at the end of the spur.

I have made up a simple card for each car which gives basic details

I then identified each train e.g. 5th to Elm Street.

Coal train to power ultlity Max 6 2 bay hoppers.

Loco and caboose

E.g. 5th to Elm Street

Grocery Warehouse Max 3 cars

Vulcan Ironworks 1 car

Yes / No

If Yes 1- box car 2- gondola 3- flat car

Loco - switcher

Transit caboose

I converted 1 die with stickers, 3 sides yes, 3 sides no. When thrown determines if that spot switched.

If it is switched then die thrown again to determine number of cars. 1 3 5 equal 1 2 and 3, 2 4 6 equal 1 2 and 3.

Will find some time to see if works in introducing some element of variety into the basic sequence

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All switch rods are now countersunk into the side frame, bits and bobs of missing ballast glued in, last big push and it could be classed as operational if not fully finished! Job stopped this weekend as out with WRMS Troutons at DEMU at Burton on Trent

F3 was given a run out at DEMU at the weekend and it worked so not sure if there is a problem, need to try back on the layout in the garage but with the rain lashing down and a gale blowing decided to weather a reefer instead. Internet suggests by the 1960s this type of freight car was on its way out to be replaced by more modern versions so tried to fade out the lettering by using a sharp blade to run across the surface of the lettering to remove the gloss. Used Lifecolour liquid pigments trains and tracks set to weather it. Brush on very thin and can be removed with the remover liquid which is also in the set. Seems to work on body sides and ends but the bogies seems too thin to stay put.

post-9435-0-56900300-1496786312_thumb.jpg

Afternoon spent levelling up the layout and snagging of bits of ballast etc before starting the full testing of stock and layout operation. Weighting of stock is going to be an issue

Managed to run a few trains this evening and generally behaved themselves after a bit of track cleaning and checking back to backs etc.

• Like 1

Identified a couple of problems in the area which in my haste and naivety I have created.

Not the smoothiest of curves from switch to switch and of course across a joint never helps. Locos stutter over this section and meter shows - no power! It has a feed so could be dry joint etc but will need attention!

But should I take the opportunity of relaying this section with a better curve!

post-9435-0-52084800-1497334501_thumb.jpg