HO Monon inspired layout

Cake disaster last night meant an early morning trip to the local SPAR - other local shops are available so whilst emergency cake baking then added some weathering to a couple of reefers.

The Pacific Fruit Express was built in 1944 and seen more service than the Royal which is supposed to have been in service around one year.

Royal is a meat car and so will be used for an off the layout industry and will not call at Vimes Street Cold Store.

post-9435-0-07101300-1498200456_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-95531800-1498200466_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Less than 4 weeks to go, hard to believe how much stuff I have already cleared from my office and yet not scratched the surface!

Sent a pleasant hour adding additional weight to various cars. Always surprises me that ready to run cars are not weighted accordingly. If a manufacturer is making a run of many liveried box cars for instance I would have thought would have been worth getting a correct series of weights being added

post-9435-0-75894200-1498322332_thumb.jpg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot of progress made over the past month as retirement plans meant lots of things to clear up, pass on and get sorted. But as 21st July education and myself have now officially parted company after 39 years and it's time to spend on finishing Vimes Street!

So garage time this morning already allocated and strangely time tomorrow as well!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you enjoy your retirement, although as my dad found out when he retired that there was even less time to get things done!

Thank you, I have officially 14 more days on the clock and 1 wage to come and yes already the time I thought I would have had in the garage on Vimes Street has been limited! Just on the way home from completing 134 km on the Rob Roy Way which has resulted in a wonky knee and it appears rest is needed!

I am enjoying my training as a Travelling Ticket Inspector on the NYMR and hope to have passed out by mid September

Edited by enginelane

Heavy rain has put paid to mowing the lawn etc so I suppose plan b of working on Vimes Street will have to be put into operation!

That's nowt.  We had thunder and lightning as well.

I was hiding behind the settee...........................

Managed some time in the garage - not modelling but reorganising the storage and chucking out session. Resulted in less clutter and finding lots of bits I could not find before! Decided to add extra building to the plastics factory at Elm Street fiddle yard and creates a more scenic transition from layout to fiddleyard. Will be making it semi derelict to reflect an old cabinet factory which had shut down similar to the Singer plant

post-9435-0-42202900-1504085972_thumb.jpg

Edited by enginelane

Any one else had problems with the Atlas 36' open hoppers. I have weighted them up according to the recommendations but even in a cut of 3 cars very skittish even on plain track. I have checked back to backs with a nmra gauge and other cars do not derail at the same spots. They are fitted with kadees number 5

Any one else had problems with the Atlas 36' open hoppers. I have weighted them up according to the recommendations but even in a cut of 3 cars very skittish even on plain track. I have checked back to backs with a nmra gauge and other cars do not derail at the same spots. They are fitted with kadees number 5

Probably a silly question, but do the trucks need tightening down?

Probably a silly question, but do the trucks need tightening down?

Everything seems tight but not overly tight as to bogie not being able to turn freely

Had the same problem many moons ago, one of the wheel sets was in gauge but, not centred on the axle, try swapping them around or replace with Kadee wheels

Will check them tomorrow

Bit of early morning work on Vimes Street on first official day of retirement. Vulcan Iron Works paint work patched up and test fitting crane on loading dock. Crane made demountable for transport as my ability to knock over and snap anything tall, thin and glued in!

post-9435-0-49276700-1504256686_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-74881100-1504256696_thumb.jpg

Edited by enginelane

Grass dry enough to mow so time to stop and evaluate progress so far. Moved the milling machine to the loading dock door to allow a vehicle to look as if unloading loading in main door. A fixed wooden derrick in place and added various barrels and crates . Needs a couple of figures probably around the lorry and coming out of the milling machine door to complete. Hole drilled ready to accept the electricity pole in the corner.

post-9435-0-82670700-1504430659_thumb.jpg

• Like 4