HO Monon inspired layout

• RMweb Gold

Spaghetti is good for making steel pipes. Uncooked, that is.

As a kid, I used to use it for downspouts on buildings, the enamel paint sealed it nicely.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another warm day and after the hustle and bustle of exhibiting with WRMS at the weekend at Glasgow spent a pleasant hour running trains on Vimes Street. Still not quite sure why a  loco decides to drop its number and reverting back to 3 but other than that trains ran on all spurs with minimum of fuss. There maybe some well made baseboards coming up at the club so measuring and planning might be happening!

only niggle was the 32 ft coal hoppers that although weighted as per the guidelines are still very jumpy on the track even where all other cars remain firmly planted. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/02/2019 at 08:17, enginelane said:

Another warm day and after the hustle and bustle of exhibiting with WRMS at the weekend at Glasgow spent a pleasant hour running trains on Vimes Street. Still not quite sure why a  loco decides to drop its number and reverting back to 3 but other than that trains ran on all spurs with minimum of fuss.

If it's any help I had a couple of locos that were prone to losing their settings (including addresses) through no obvious reason, until I found out that I could lock the decoders by programming a couple of CVs. I think these were Digitrax decoders but it might apply to others. Once locked, they haven't lost their settings again. If you ever need to program them again you just have to unlock them with the same CVs.

• Thanks 1

Screwing baseboards to each other has meant better running than when just joined by the bolts. Reduced baseboard derailments by over 75% except for the 34ft coal hoppers which although weighted to the  NRMA suggested weight, wheels checked etc still bounce off track if more than 2 cars in the train 

• Like 1

Pleasant hour this morning in a little chilly garage working through the sequence for running Vimes Street. Use of the modified dice for determining if a service runs and number and type of car seems to indicating that even a simple sequence will have lots of variety. Already shown up I need more stock suitable for running to the Cold Store and a couple more gondolas for general service. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, enginelane said:

Pleasant hour this morning in a little chilly garage working through the sequence for running Vimes Street. Use of the modified dice for determining if a service runs and number and type of car seems to indicating that even a simple sequence will have lots of variety. Already shown up I need more stock suitable for running to the Cold Store and a couple more gondolas for general service. 

Request please - this may be something I have missed in a previous post, but I would greatly appreciate more details - I have used modified dice (dies?) previously on an earlier laout, but it would be interesting to see your version

OPleasant hour this morning in a little chilly garage working through the sequence for running Vimes Street. Use of the modified dice for determining if a service runs and number and type of car seems to indicating that even a simple sequence will have lots of variety. Already shown up I need more stock suitable for running to the Cold Store and a couple more gondolas for general service. 

Switch list gives name of the train from and to end destination.

in the case of the power station train then roll a number to determine the number of cars that particular run.

in the case of Vulcan Iron works then a die with red and blue dots is rolled. Red no service blue car needs to be switched.

number die then determines the type of car to be switched. 

Grocery is always switched with only one type of car so number die used to determine number of cars that service.

each card informs caboose position and type of loco. 

Cars required to service the off layout industries supposed to be served by Elm Street yard gives a greater number of cars to be put into service and sent back as through trains to 5th and 7th.

by the time made up the trains and switched the trains etc then can see approx 90 mins pass by

9765E473-F1C6-4219-B01A-09084042F1E3.jpeg

9153CDF7-638B-445A-BDA1-D741314581AA.jpeg

• Like 1

Cannot put it off for much longer. Weathering stock is not really much use unless locos are also tackled. Always exceptions but in the case of No 18 in reality it only worked at the Lafayette Works and sold in 1963. however on Vimes Street still earning revenue by switching some of the duties. 

A0EEFFE6-66D4-4171-A18A-CAFF9B80E632.jpeg

• Like 1