Modern image Re-painting, Detailing and Weathering thread.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RPNaylor0301 said:

Looks good (which I mean sincerely, I actually kinda like the flush front / WIPAC’d 56...) 

New opening looks like a dog’s dinner. Again a complement to your skill as the original looks like they got me to do it! :jester:

Awesome work - really appreciate you documenting the steps too as I’m sorely tempted to have a go after Xmas.

Ha. Cut out is as per and is actually really neat (not sure why it has the odd shape to it). I can see in my hand how neat the whole thing is and I think the pictures will show that better when the primer is unifying the whole thing.

The flush front looks great on the 56 which for me is a great looking and relatively compact loco.

Edited by Andy7
Missed a word out.

I’m sure the odd shape has a functional reasoning - can’t imagine the chaps at Longport are too fussed about how I think it looks! :read: Yours looks superb though, captured the ‘step down’ and the bracing well!

Looking forward to seeing it in primer (and looking forward to seeing what GBRf do livery wise with these. Maybe something along the lines of 47739?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Nice work Andy.

Always good to create something for yourself with a bit of real work (I daren't use the "m" word.....)

Absolutely Mick. I would hate that word to be used on my thread, ha. 
Literally every item I own is bespoke in some way so this fits in perfectly.

• Like 1

That looks superb Andy! A proper cut n shut project...so hot off the press the real thing isn’t any further on!! :good:

It’ll look great in GBRf colours or whatever livery the finished articles will be...who knows!

Keep up the excellent m...mm...mmmmasterful bodgery ;)

Jack.

• Funny 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Be interested to see how you go with the 60.

I’ve got the loco and all the detailing parts under my workbench, I’ve just never got around to starting it ! :rolleyes:

Barrier coaches are looking good BTW.

cheers,

Phil.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

Be interested to see how you go with the 60.

I’ve got the loco and all the detailing parts under my workbench, I’ve just never got around to starting it ! :rolleyes:

Barrier coaches are looking good BTW.

cheers,

Phil.

Yeah I had this 60 spare (more than likely was to become another DC Rail one but then 60065 came along and jumped the queue). I do like to do some stuff I have actually seen.

Will get the chassis cracked on with this week no doubt. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Little update with another later today.

Cruising eBay the other day and managed to pick up 6 EWS BDA wagons for £64.90 delivered, a bargain. Anyway 2 had been modified to represent BTA wagons as seen running last year with WCRC 37’s to the both of Scotland. They were done to a very high standard but not exactly as per the real ones so i took them apart a bit and have reworked them. Another had a part job done on it and the other 3 were just slightly weathered BDA’s. So I will be bringing them all up to the same BTA standard, just waiting  on some plastruct and paint. 3 pics below show as they were (BDA), part modified and nigh on complete BTA using the stanchions that came with them, as I say a real neat job. Still plenty of bits to finish on the final pic but I have already repositioned the stanchions, filled a hole, painted a few bits etc. Just needs a few tweaks and some weathering. 
More later. Thanks for looking.

5619019C-F087-4779-96AF-6B1F73250FD6.jpeg

7381567F-A585-4D12-B545-2EF4E5896A70.jpeg

413ED4AB-F914-4DB7-99CA-F6BA8230A973.jpeg

CE4786E2-773F-4F1E-B1A6-A0B5073642E4.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

So 2 of the BTA’s are nigh on complete. They  just need weathering now. The third one has been worked as far as possible and I now need the plastruct to get it any further. They other 3 I will hit all together and get them to completion then weather the lot at once.

I do have a bit of a thing for the BDA as the next post will show. Low, bogie, old, had various uses over the years and still going. Also the Bachmann model still holds its own quite well.

7AF15603-AE0C-416A-97B1-50C5970A9936.jpeg

39A82303-24D3-4DFA-B867-C3DDC7DA9EB5.jpeg

80164B02-AC2E-4EB3-A818-DD3B38BAF44E.jpeg

F0466A41-F919-4D6C-BF0A-C3CC5F2F96F4.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I have now polished the DRS 68 wheels and applied the transfers, they look really good. That finishes off the 68.

I have also weathered the inside of the MXA box wagons so that them finished off.

On to the next pile of stuff and hopefully crack on with the remaining BTA wagons this week as well.

2EBF84D6-BB5C-4EA3-A6EE-B1A2F000A1C3.jpeg

7A5BB35E-3797-491B-A277-0742C295AE82.jpeg

• Like 18

On 17/01/2021 at 16:56, Andy7 said:

So 2 of the BTA’s are nigh on complete. They  just need weathering now. The third one has been worked as far as possible and I now need the plastruct to get it any further. They other 3 I will hit all together and get them to completion then weather the lot at once.

I do have a bit of a thing for the BDA as the next post will show. Low, bogie, old, had various uses over the years and still going. Also the Bachmann model still holds its own quite well.

7AF15603-AE0C-416A-97B1-50C5970A9936.jpeg

39A82303-24D3-4DFA-B867-C3DDC7DA9EB5.jpeg

80164B02-AC2E-4EB3-A818-DD3B38BAF44E.jpeg

F0466A41-F919-4D6C-BF0A-C3CC5F2F96F4.jpeg

I'm doing some BTA's at the moment but cannot figure the proper measurements for then, what are the measurements for the stanchion.

Great progress on the MXA’s. I think I’d have had enough by wagon 5! I’ve just finished making my MXA box pattern, going down the resin casting route to save my styrene for other projects and also to shave some time off production. I think I’m the first to make the MXA’s with the BDA sides cut down to the bed? 
Very inspiring, always a pleasure to read your thread and see what you’ve been up to. 
- Jordan 

90332670-FDA7-4072-B2C3-52DC4972409C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Great progress on the MXA’s. I think I’d have had enough by wagon 5! I’ve just finished making my MXA box pattern, going down the resin casting route to save my styrene for other projects and also to shave some time off production. I think I’m the first to make the MXA’s with the BDA sides cut down to the bed? 
Very inspiring, always a pleasure to read your thread and see what you’ve been up to. 
- Jordan 

Thanks Jordan. That looks great and like that you have cut down bed to the correct height. I did contemplate it but decided it was close enough to be ok as it was. Guess you got a Dremel on then job?

1 hour ago, Andy7 said:

Thanks Jordan. That looks great and like that you have cut down bed to the correct height. I did contemplate it but decided it was close enough to be ok as it was. Guess you got a Dremel on then job?

Thanks Andy. Surprisingly I didn’t use a dremel but now you mention it, I do have a dremel! I did it rather crudely using a Stanley knife about a year or so ago in an attempt to make some Ospreys. I’ve managed to get ahold of some Cambrian bits so I’ve re-purposed the BDA’s. The three Ospreys I’ve made will be recycled as well, the scratchbuilt stanchions being replaced by 3D printed ones. It wasn’t that difficult to take the sides down, though the smell of plastic was very strong and overwhelming at times. I’ve got a BDA in IPA being stripped ready for going into DB red for the first casting samples. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

- Jordan 

I think Jack374 has done some MXAs with Bachmann BDA cut down to solebars

Along with one using  Cambrian parts.

They are now in my possession as a result of some asset swapping..... I can't immediately check them as they are in store a few miles away. Hopefully Jack will confirm/deny.

23 minutes ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

The three Ospreys I’ve made will be recycled as well, the scratchbuilt stanchions being replaced by 3D printed ones. It wasn’t that difficult to take the sides down, though the smell of plastic was very strong and overwhelming at times. I’ve got a BDA in IPA being stripped ready for going into DB red for the first casting samples. 

Just checked, it's about 11 years since I did my YKA Ospreys!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

I think Jack374 has done some MXAs with Bachmann BDA cut down to solebars

Along with one using  Cambrian parts.

They are now in my possession as a result of some asset swapping..... I can't immediately check them as they are in store a few miles away. Hopefully Jack will confirm/deny.

Yup I cut my 2 Bachmann models down to the solebar as per prototype, it was a real pain! The Cambrian models were very easy to cut down but then you have to actually build the kit, so it’s 6 and 2 3s as to whether either method is quicker/easier.

12 hours ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

I think I’m the first to make the MXA’s with the BDA sides cut down to the bed?

I've seen at least one other rake of 4 in the flesh at an exhibition which were on cut down chassis, there'll probably be others as they're a nice little project!

Your MXAs are looking very tasty Andy, and if I’m honest the extra effort cutting the chassis down isn’t necessary when you can pull it off as well as you’ve done. :good:

Jack.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 00:22, newbryford said:

Just checked, it's about 11 years since I did my YKA Ospreys!

Your Osprey thread was the initial inspiration for converting my BDA's to Ospreys and Salmons in the beginning. Those stanchions took a long time to make! I have enough for 8 wagons currently being 3D printed. It is great how all these ex-BR departmental wagons are being re-used in such a way that they are the backbone of track renewals with the exception of the FEA and KFA flats that are now popping up with modular decks of course. 

Edited by Bearwood West Yard
Wrote in the wrong bit!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Few pictures of my now finished 56091 in DC Rail livery. This is now weathered along with the ROG coaches.

I have also finished weathering Dapol TPE 68032, Hattons FL 66593 and have finished the building of the 6 BTA wagons. These will get weathered this coming week.

A few pictures below, anything with buffers was still waiting on grease effect being applied.

5C8FB954-074E-44F6-A131-CCF627C4FDDE.jpeg

E51158F3-CA9D-450B-9506-384EFF1886D1.jpeg

684A95BE-1056-4A66-943E-3D4B7511BE8F.jpeg

26362367-785D-4EAF-8454-E75460C25CB6.jpeg

0A0DB65F-79D2-45FD-A92E-EEE71B18F43D.jpeg

AF07BEB2-4626-4362-904F-624351DF4C17.jpeg

5BC6CF11-2B90-4476-8177-732A35B7890E.jpeg

08A57186-FEB2-43F8-B4AF-94570A17E652.jpeg

C5578E4A-C9EA-4114-9877-9A89541D4429.jpeg

2B0E324C-C2CF-4683-A4D3-EF8B8D0D0562.jpeg

A974B3AB-8F61-435D-8BE2-81656BEC68D8.jpeg

6E254FF0-03C0-47F6-BCEE-B5B265E58D40.jpeg

FD985F15-776F-4148-B0C4-05626567EF15.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy,

Tug 65 is looking superb, really nice work. You've captured all the little touches on that one really well, things like the black (presumably sealant) lines on the cab roof, peeling paint etc. Very nice!

Jo

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Hi Andy,

Tug 65 is looking superb, really nice work. You've captured all the little touches on that one really well, things like the black (presumably sealant) lines on the cab roof, peeling paint etc. Very nice!

Jo

Thanks Jo. It was one that just had to be done. It was the details and general grubbiness that attracted me. Already a favourite and not even run it yet.