Modern image Re-painting, Detailing and Weathering thread.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Looking forward to the BYA rake.

Have you seen Martyn Read's Smugmug website? I've done a few of mine with the new hood sections - makes a nice change from an all over dirty wagon. Quite easy to mask and spray as well. You can either start with a clean wagon, mask off and weather the rest, or start with a weathered wagon, mask off and spray the new, clean bits!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick I will look into it. I'm hoping that's all the BYA's I will need. The rest of the rake will be made up of other metal carriers! As I say more soon hopefully.

Andy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally finished my new liveried 31601 and got my second Colas 56 done as 087. Decided to repaint my own instead of buy the Hornby one, which means the details are correct! The 31 has my legoman sound chip from my old green 31601 and the 56 will receive one in time. Both are yet to be weathered, the 31 very lightly and the 56 will be medium weathered to represent it currently. Hope you enjoy the pics, which are poor due to the bad light. I think an outside line up is in order soon.

image.jpg3_zpsyhcey5re.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsdh9acxh9.jpg

image.jpg4_zps8pcvnwys.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsslcfuuk4.jpg

image.jpg5_zps5on8v3kd.jpg

image.jpg7_zpspqqjn30m.jpg

image.jpg8_zpshgf5rwhg.jpg

Also I have completed another log wagon and have partly loaded it, going to take a while to complete this project that's for sure.

I have also acquired an EWS 66 which is just awaiting transfers to become a DB/EWS loco. I have also started my DRS 20/3 which has been sat around waiting to be done for at least 4 years! Too many projects!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Had a bit of a photo role call of some of my locos today in slightly better lighting conditions.

Started with a pair of 31's., 31105 and 31601.

image.jpg1_zpstqfckfas.jpg

image.jpg2_zpscqpvrlbt.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsv1zkrsbw.jpg

Next up another pair, WCRC 47760 and 57001 ready for a railtour.

image.jpg5_zpszca66mcr.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsxjy6agmo.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsuvkffome.jpg

image.jpg8_zpsugdzsx71.jpg

My Colas trio of 56087, 56113 and 60087. These will be bolstered with 37421, 60096 and 70 something (when released).

image.jpg9_zps5vtyyx9k.jpg

image.jpg11_zpse0r2qqdy.jpg

image.jpg13_zpsxh9xkdoo.jpg

image.jpg10_zpshrdg8go6.jpg

image.jpg16_zpsr21w5ztd.jpg

DRS trio 37409, 37716 and 47810. Again more to come in the shape of 37405, 57010 and 68 some such. May do another 37 as well.

image.jpg19_zpsxhexvz6o.jpg

image.jpg20_zpswx2jpjow.jpg

image.jpg22_zps7xnds7dy.jpg

Finally DB Schenker with 08907, 67018, 67027, 60011 and 60062.

image.jpg23_zpsms0wqkr5.jpg

image.jpg24_zpsuixz0kvv.jpg

image.jpg25_zpsjy3mcu3k.jpg

image.jpg27_zpsoryy1baj.jpg

image.jpg28_zpsvegtbehi.jpg

image.jpg29_zpstxmgy4aj.jpg

It's funny but when looking at them for pics you notice nearly every loco has one job still to do to finish it off, be it weathering, painting a detail or adjusting something. Those pics represent just under half the locos I have. Of the remainder around 6 are either in the workshop or awaiting me to start there repaints.

For your info only 2 of those locos in the pics are not repaints by me.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Edited by Andy7
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

For your info only 2 of those locos in the pics are not repaints by me.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Nice work Andy.

I'm going to guess at 37409 and 67018. (For no other reason that those were produced RTR)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mick your bang on as always.

Did you see my brothers new layout topic "Badgers Cross 2"? A layout to run all the stock on is rapidly approaching being useable.

Andy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Incredible stuff Andy, only just found your thread and very impressive selection of bits!!

Can I ask where you got the white Gill Sans TOPS number transfers for your blue 47843 please?

Many thanks!

James

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James. Praise indeed coming from you. I think they were spare individual numbers from a fox transfers sheet of DRS class 20 numbers and tops panels sheet. Had them for a few years mind.

Hope this helps.

Andy

P.s - Thread update on Friday hopefully.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as the colas orange/yellow split angle, I get a full side on pic of an appropriate loco of my iPad and basically mask up whilst comparing the item in my hand to the pic. Works perfectly. Also you can see from the pic where the colours intersect various grills etc.

Hope this helps.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Finally finished my DRS 20/3, 4 years after buying the loco and bits! I have previously done 3 other ones but sold them all on. They really do look great when reassembled and complete. Just needs buffer beam details fitting and then she needs weathering. The Wipac lights are off an unusable super detailed Hornby 67 body I had spare and look great. I don't plan on doing another so this will mostly run double headed with one of my DRS 37/47/57's hauling flasks, rail tours or engineers wagons. It is fitted with legomans excellent sounds on a v4 decoder. In a rush so iPhone pics, hope you like them.

Also now completed two EWS/DBS 66's as seen on today's network. Pics will follow when I get the chance. Next on the work bench is Colas 37175 to accompany 37421 on test trains. Also fancy a pair of barrier coaches.

image_zpspr33uyn7.jpeg

image_zpstg1ovvle.jpeg

image_zpsasiouaxg.jpeg

• Like 9

Great work Andy, when I did mine it was very tedious and only came together at the last second.

One slight recommendation would be to paint the side door handles Oxford blue or silver (can't remember which) as they protrude on the prototype, and look a bit odd as part of the transfers.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Andy

Stunning re-paints you have achieved with your fleet and love the choice of liveries.

I do a few re-spray jobs myself (you can see them in layouts under Parkway). However, the part I find most difficult to achieve

Is to get an orange cantline to the level you get on your locos.

I have used both lining pen and 0.5mm masking over orange but have never tried water slide transfers.

Which method do you use yourself?

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the compliments. Fox water slide for me. Tried other methods but always come back to fox. I have a pen for raised areas such as coaches and class 47 cab roofs that works well.

The key with the transfers is keep them wet and get one end in place and dry with kitchen towel then the rest goes a lot easier.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Update time! Well I have been busy on and off doing more loco repaints and collecting appropriate wagons and coaches to run on our layout (which is creeping along very slowly).

First up I have sold both my DRS 47's as no longer current scene. I also sold both my DB Sckenker 60's (at least one will be redone), Freightliner 08 and 47843 Vulcan (I have a loco to do as this one again). So a bit of a stock clearance!

But I have bought, Hornby 153 (being repainted in Northern rail livery, it was cheap), pair of Bachmann 47's to repaint to Riviera locos, another Freightliner 70 to run with the 13 Dapol HIA's I have pre ordered, a Chiltern DVT which I have removed the Wrexham and Shropshire wording from, ordered a couple of Dapol 68's, Hornby NR HST pack, NRM Harry Patch HST pack and complete FGW coach rake and completed 37175 and full four coach test train to run with newly purchased 37421. Also bought 2x 37405 to renumbered (one will be 37425 and the other 37607). Plenty of other things on the go as well and keeping fingers crossed for a few future releases!

Anyway just a few pics of 66145 in EWS/DB livery and my pair of Riviera 47's before I post off 47843 to its new owner.

image_zps5m16s7gf.jpeg

image_zps5smn55p7.jpeg

image_zps6gpb27au.jpeg

image_zps5tpn3xdn.jpeg

image_zps9dmxe3kj.jpeg

image_zpsmtujajlr.jpeg

image_zpsjtwqqbvv.jpeg

image_zps2ugyimxv.jpeg

image_zpsa9xah2cv.jpeg

Currently on the workbench and over half done are 56104 in UKRL livery and 56312 in DC Rail Grey. Looking forward to these being complete, the super detailed Hornby 56 is a cracking model in my opinion.

Anyway that's all for now.

Andy

• Like 7