Intermodal and Steam

k-59

I thought it would be fun to have a thread highlighting the juxtaposition of steam engines and intermodal equipment. Probably the best example of this is when the Union Pacific put its Challenger on a double-stack train as a PR stunt.

But there are also lesser known cases, such as this picture from Bosnia and Herzegovina

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=273880&nseq=48

So please post pictures, videos, stories as you see fit, but I am especially interested in if there were any times Freightliner trains were pulled or shunted by steam?  

Don't suppose Black 5s double heading the Condor with Metrovicks counts ;)?

Seriously though, didn't Freightliner operations predate the end of UK steam? Wouldn't be at all surprised if there were at least occasional workings. I doubt if it would have been regular though, as Freightliner was supposed to represent the modern railway and that image might have been dented a bit if the shiny new containers were spotted behind a manky 9F.

• 3 years later...

First three wagons of this train - 27 February 2005, QJs 2-10-2s 7030 and 6850 combine to lift a westbound freight near Yuzhodi on the JiTong line.

There were only two daylight working over the Jinpeng Pass this day and steam on this section had only four weeks to go.

post-4406-0-24306600-1495996072_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Freightliner trans did run alongside steam, but the flats were air-braked, and IIRC the suriving steam fleet was vacuum-brake only.

Not necessarily mutually exclusive; there is a photo in Mike Hitches book on Penmaenmawr which shows a class 24 (vac brake only) on a rake of empty container flats. I assume that at the rear would be a brake van and the train would be worked as an unfitted one. I haven't seen any evidence of steam worked freightliners but it wouldn't be an impossibility.

• 2 years later...

Found this earlier whilst looking through David Christie collection on Flickr. Some Incredible colour Photos on there. I'm Intrigued with this one though as it looks like an ISO Container on a Lowmac.

8F 48692 at Newsham Pk, Liverpool. Feb'68.

• 3 months later...
On 08/06/2019 at 23:16, TRAILRAGE said:

Found this earlier whilst looking through David Christie collection on Flickr. Some Incredible colour Photos on there. I'm Intrigued with this one though as it looks like an ISO Container on a Lowmac.

8F 48692 at Newsham Pk, Liverpool. Feb'68.

Most likely is; they were marked 'conflat iso' and had a frame on the bed to support 20ft containers, vacuum braked. There's pictures of some (unloaded) on Paul Bartlett's site, plus other info on a quick Google search.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Most likely is; they were marked 'conflat iso' and had a frame on the bed to support 20ft containers, vacuum braked. There's pictures of some (unloaded) on Paul Bartlett's site, plus other info on a quick Google search.

They seemed to have worked from Hull to Liverpool; an early 'land-bridge'.

• Thanks 1