Theobald's Yard - 7mm 16.5/32mm guage layout of the ODMRS

Greengiant

Hi Martin

That looks great and a pretty clever system behind it

How are you controlling feedback from the points - are there microswitches or something like that to detect the points actually completed their move ?

Rob,

Yes, microswitches on the point motors, so these detect the point has actually moved. This then sends data into the system to say the point has moved.

Martin

We're now set up at Swanley and ready to go tomorrow. It actually took less time than I thought it would to firstly pack the layout into the transport and secondly to erect it all in the hall and have an engine running round.

post-1392-0-12933700-1414189832_thumb.jpgpost-1392-0-71131400-1414189845_thumb.jpg

[excuse the pot of paint ;-))]

Edited by paulr1949
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well final prepartions are under way to the layout before it appears at the Orpington & District MRS show next weekend at Pratts Bottom village hall, Norsted Lane, BR6 7PQ. Open Saturday and Sunday, 10 - 5 both days. If you're about, say hi to me, green giant and Darentman.

The electronic routing system has been updated following experience at expoNG last October, and a wagon turntable has been installed (not working yet, but give us time...!). Some improvements to a few of the buildings, walls and chimneys have taken place, and general fettling.We're erecting the layout on Friday morning and hopefully one of us will be able to upload some photos before the show..

True to form I leave things to the last minute that I have been meaning to do for ages!

First up is making loads for wagons.

This one many will recognise as a part from a hard drive, once sprayed they make up into suitable wagon loads. I find old computers and printers can by an Aladdin's Cave of parts for modelling. Watch out for hard disk magnets, they are very powerful and can give you a nasty pinch.

IMG_6674_zps8fd15810.jpg

Next up is a stationary engine, on which I wanted to try the newly released AK Interactive True Metal.

IMG_6676_zpsb8c7b8fa.jpg

This is a wax based metallic paint that can be applied by brush, cotton bud, finger or air brush if thinned.

Just apply, leave to dry then buff with a finger, cotton bud, cloth or buffing wheel. So far I have the steel, brass and copper versions.

This is the engine with the wheel rims treated with steel and the fittings with copper and brass.

IMG_6696_zps19f49f01.jpg

Next up is an Ixion Fowler which will work the standard gauge section of Theobald's Yard. To this I had a Zimo Stay-Alive sound decoder to fit.

A straightforward if a little fiddly job to do.

IMG_6679_zps1734e748.jpg

Here is the decoder hard wired in place.

IMG_6691_zps9503904f.jpg

Underneath you can see the capacitors and to the right the speaker lead with miniature plug. I added a plug to the speaker leads so the baseplate with the speaker attached can be completely removed while servicing.

IMG_6689_zpse33964b7.jpg

I am very pleased with the decoder and the running of the loco. After the show the loco will be off to the workshop for a complete repaint and weathering session.

Martin

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

We had an a great time exhibiting Theobald's Yard at the Tonbridge show yesterday.

It was a privalige to host the exquisite lorries and Garratt by Giles of this Forum.

Theobald's Yard was not designed at the outset to cater for RC lorries, so some of the clearances are somewhat tight!

Giles and Ken did a sterling job manoeuvring the lorries around the layout, not helped by the occasional errant loco getting in the way and sometimes the loco insisting it occupies the same space!

I managed to grab some short video clips of the lorries and some of the trains, I apologise for the suspect continuity of some of it but it was very difficult to get near the front of the layout to film.

Martin

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely stunning!  Just come across this - nice mix of narrow and standard gauge, and the dual gauge trackwork looks amazing.  Well done to all concerned!

Hope we see more of it

Rich

• Like 1

Great looking layout!

Does it run to a sequence or is completely random?

What control system do you use?

Will the lorries become a permanent feature?

They look great fun, as they are not restricted to follow guide wires in a set route.

Hi

Most of the layout runs to a sequence of 6 moves (although some of the moves encompass two separate trains) and the route is set for the move automatically when the sequence is advanced using MERG equipment. There are 9 trains which operate in turn from the rear fiddleyard and 3 NG/3 SG which use turntable fiddleyards on the front of the layout. We also use MERG controllers.

The industrial area at the front of the layout is operated on an ad-hoc basis if we have enough operators.

At the moment, the lorries were a one-off guest appearance at Tonbridge (as was the Garratt) - they may appear again but can't be guaranteed!

Thanks for the comments

Edited by paulr1949

Absolutely stunning!  Just come across this - nice mix of narrow and standard gauge, and the dual gauge trackwork looks amazing.  Well done to all concerned!

Hope we see more of it

Rich

We've already had a couple of show invites, so watch this space!

Thanks for the comments

• 1 month later...

With the Crawley show fast approaching thoughts turned to making the sign for the main factory on the layout.

Using evergreen strip and sections, some rail, brass wire and plastic letters a sign was fabricated.

IMG_0261_zpshma5tuqt.jpg

Placed on the building and mounting holes checked prior to painting the sign.

IMG_0260_zpsemjyrpmt.jpg

Painted in acrylic, weathered with oils trying out the MIG oilbrushes.

IMG_0280_zpsy356hyxf.jpg

IMG_0279_zpscimq8u00.jpg

Martin

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A few photos from our first day visiting the Crawley exhibition (in Horsham).

post-1392-0-41805800-1492887329_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-68519900-1492887331_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-79257800-1492887334_thumb.jpg

post-1392-0-50029500-1492887337_thumb.jpg

All was well after an early gremlin caused the power supply box to fail....

Very quiet today - there are some good layouts there, hopefully more people tomorrow

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The layout has been a long time waiting for a lean-to structure alongside the engineering works, at last I have got around to cutting one out. Will take this to the club tonight to check it will fit before gluing and painting.

The strip along the bottom of the photo is just a jig for the legs when fitting to the layout and not part of the structure.

44472673170_786b0fe519_c.jpg

44472673070_4a0fbe2a0f_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 3

Initial weathering done, next up is to take it to the club and do the initial fitting on the layout before doing the final weathering and adding a few rusted corrugated roofing sheets.

Just four weeks to go before the next exhibition appearance.

46317551001_2db7b8e956_c.jpg

Martin

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Pleased to say the layout performed well all weekend at the Epsom show with only a few issues, a detached point blade in one of the factory loops on the Saturday hampered some of the shunting, but was able to be worked around until a repair could be made on the Sunday morning.

Found a comprehensive video of the whole show on YouTube, our layout appears at 27 minutes in for about 7 minutes.

Martin