Unusual spot of the week

A place for container weirdness!

they say a picture paints a thousand words, so I'll open this thread having completely failed to get a picture. Yesterday crossing Great Yarmouth I was stuck in traffic near a lorry with a 20ft box on. The box looked standard grey with blue lettering COSCO from the side, but on the end doors was a Florens logo. Never got close enough to catch the code on it to work out who's box it actually was. Make a model of that and see how long it is before someone points out the 'fault'!

• 4 weeks later...

Older one with Florens logo on the side - i've only this one shot with this variation:

CONT_CBHU081081-0_CBHU_22G1_Didcot_26100

The modern version seems to be with the logo on the door and *sometimes* also the Florens web address underneath in the door corrugation. Looking at my pics I don't think this is very rare, maybe as many as half the Cosco boxes having the Florens logo? Them having Cosco marks makes replicating it easier I guess! :)

CONT_CBHU346245-2_22G1_UpperHolloway_140

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Just wondering when the last time someone saw a Hanjin box?

I only ask as up until 2 years ago when they went bust they were commonplace- Hornby even used one on their KFAs, but now very rarely seen.

For the first time in a while I happened to see a couple yesterday still loitering on the dock.

4 hours ago, 45059 said:

Just wondering when the last time someone saw a Hanjin box?

I only ask as up until 2 years ago when they went bust they were commonplace- Hornby even used one on their KFAs, but now very rarely seen.

For the first time in a while I happened to see a couple yesterday still loitering on the dock.

I suspect there's still some 'in use' ones out there, but with the logo painted over. Now you mention it, I am going to keep my eyes open for them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I suspect there's still some 'in use' ones out there, but with the logo painted over. Now you mention it, I am going to keep my eyes open for them.

Yes, I have seen one or two knocking about with the logos painted over (including one last night in a container stack) but to see them still fully branded is becoming a rarer sight.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2021 at 11:25, Satan's Goldfish said:

Not the easiest thing to get a decent picture of, but currently at work we have a double ended 20. Can't say I've noticed a box with doors each end before.

They're sort of common, if you know where to look... (Least helpful response ever, let me expand...)

The current trend of using containers as storage units or site units, combined with the general one way trade from China to the west, quite a few companies buy a few hundred 20 or 40 foot units in China, lease them to one of the big Shipping Lines (Normally Maersk or CMA in my experience) who load them for a trip to the UK, then they'll go to a depot for sale or conversions.

The double ended ones like that are usually cut in half to make 2 10 foot boxes. We also get side doored versions in 20 and 40 foot lengths as well as double ended 40 footers.

They also have the door handles mounted higher up so they're easier to use in a ground mounted storage role. Not very easy to cut a bolt seal off when they're still on a trailer though!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, lankyphil said:

They're sort of common, if you know where to look... (Least helpful response ever, let me expand...)

The current trend of using containers as storage units or site units, combined with the general one way trade from China to the west, quite a few companies buy a few hundred 20 or 40 foot units in China, lease them to one of the big Shipping Lines (Normally Maersk or CMA in my experience) who load them for a trip to the UK, then they'll go to a depot for sale or conversions.

The double ended ones like that are usually cut in half to make 2 10 foot boxes. We also get side doored versions in 20 and 40 foot lengths as well as double ended 40 footers.

They also have the door handles mounted higher up so they're easier to use in a ground mounted storage role. Not very easy to cut a bolt seal off when they're still on a trailer though!

I'd noticed side doored 20s becoming more common in various colours (go back 10 years and i'd never seen them in anything other than MoD red), but i've not seen a side doored 40, i'll have to keep an eye out for that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an odd one, sort of a double ended box? But only 1 door on the headboard?

_20210519_055535.JPG.0c33555401647902c087e31305f8bc63.JPG

_20210519_055513.JPG.7a646431b9982f1c5c02bdb3108fe963.JPG

I'm guessing it's an end-customer specific designed box for whatever reason. 

(Apologies for the dodgy shot, taken whilst queuing in a container yard) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DSC_0725.JPG.01707d1040a9e35c0d589c54bf5c5fe1.JPG

A quick snap from a storage yard. A Hapag Lloyd 40' high cube with a solid removable roof (as opposed to the tarp rooves that open top boxes normally have). 20 and 40' (tarpaulined) open tops are pretty rare, 20' hard tops even more rare, but I've never seen a 40HT anywhere.

As a side note, when you get open tops or tank containers lifted off to go on a train at a railhead, they have the rooves inspected to make sure everything is secure, no danger of striking OHLE etc.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I once had a 20' open top refused by Freightliner Birmingham because one of the crossbars was missing. Apparently this would allow the canvas to flap about and possibly hit the OLE. 

Pete

We had a similar policy at Eurotunnel, both top sheets and side-curtains; I can remember instances of catenary trips attributable to these.

• Informative/Useful 2