Toplight Full Brakes - Differences K19/22/36

• RMweb Premium

I can visually tell the difference between a K19 and a K22.

But how can you tell the difference betwen a K36 and a K22 from a side view?

Thanks in advance

• 5 weeks later...

Nice K36. What's it's pedigree ?

I have one built/painted by Lawrence/Goddard which looks as if it could be Trevor Charlton, but not sure.

By the way. The K36 is the only post-Dean GWR full brake type to have 4 set of luggage doors. Allegedly because they were converted from the brake ends of ex-ambulance train van thirds.. 

• RMweb Premium

When I get home I will try to convince Worsley Works to produce a pair of 4mm sides for the K36.  We are already in discussions.................

Anyone got any drawings or good side-on photos by any chance?

When I get home I will try to convince Worsley Works to produce a pair of 4mm sides for the K36.  We are already in discussions.................

Anyone got any drawings or good side-on photos by any chance?

As much as I applaud Allen's work, there is already a decent etch from Frogmore/Dart Castings

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/frogmore/3955.php

Mike Wiltshire

I should have added this a while ago but work has been horrendous for the last few weeks. Anyway, whilst waiting for the F1 to restart I went out to the trainset to piccy these.

First of all, although not in the list, I have included for sequence. It is a K18 from the Mallard/Blacksmith range. Panelled with full length vertical panels

post-9992-0-64910600-1404668011_thumb.jpg

Next is the K19 from Steve Manchip/Frogmore Confederacy. A full body etch with scratch build underframes using castings, bogies and roof courtesy of David Geen Models. I have two of these on in c/c and the other in all over chocolate. I did not intend to get two but Mr Manchip wanted my spare ex Royal Train full brake etch and he gave me the second K19 in exchange.

post-9992-0-61560800-1404668022_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-10597600-1404668033_thumb.jpg

Next is the K22 from the Haye Development/CSP/Roger Slade kit. finished in all over coach brown.

post-9992-0-08431200-1404668036_thumb.jpg

And finally the K36 also from Frogmore, again using David Geen parts to complete. This vehicle often presents confusion as it is a panelled van appearing in the register as K36 when steel side construction commenced with the K19. The K36 is in fact a rebuild of an earlier vehicle that was sold to the ROD for use in ambulance stock. The vehicles returned to the GWR after WW1 and updated in the form you see here.

post-9992-0-89138700-1404668038_thumb.jpg

The original question is 'how can you tell the difference?' The lads in the drawing office do not make it easy as studying the images shows how susequent designs were worked up using tracing paper.

They are all three sets of double doors, with subtle differences toplights/no toplights, few toplights, steel or panelled, side windows etc. All above are still listed, and apart from the K18, are available.

K19/36 -  http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/frogmore.php

K22 - http://cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/product&manufacturer_id=22&product_id=139

Mike Wiltshire

Edit as images didn't load

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have just got home after 3 months elsewhere, to find that I have purchased a K22 from Ebay some time ago (!!) without remembering.

The kit is plastic not an etch.  What/who would be the heritage/maker of such a kit?

Many thanks.

• 5 years later...

Useful find this topic. Looking at photos in Russell and the tiny pictures in the Longworth GWR coach record book it looks to me a K19 and K22 are the same except the K22 has the toplights along whole coach, K19 solely by the guards door on the corridor side?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This is an old thread I know, but it seems sensible to throw out my question here for continuity...

I'm about to embark on a Frogmore K36 and am striggling a bit with its underwear - Russell appdx. 2 shows a picture of one of the vehicles in all over brown but am I seeing the queenpost / turnbuckle type underframe rather than angled trusses? Also, the bogies are (at least to my inexpereinced eye) indistinct - could those be 9' fishbelly type? @Coachbogie's nice model pictured in this thread looks as if it is on American types, but I am fully aware that these things often got swapped round over the life of the coach.

Usual thing - I'm not averse to paying for my own reference material but it is knowing where to look.

Thanks in anticipation.

Pete.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The images in Russell are the queenpost - turnbuckle type underframe and the bogies shown are Fishbelly type?. As for length I cannot confirm if they are 8ft or 9ft as both were used under the original build. The preserved K36 at Didcot, no 1159 has Fishbellies.

Due to lack of available Fishbelly castings at the time, mine has 9ft  Americans as I had them in stock and there was much switching of bogies in the 1930's. I do have the Fish bellies to go under it now but not a priority.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

The images in Russell are the queenpost - turnbuckle type underframe and the bogies shown are Fishbelly type?. As for length I cannot confirm if they are 8ft or 9ft as both were used under the original build. The preserved K36 at Didcot, no 1159 has Fishbellies.

Due to lack of available Fishbelly castings at the time, mine has 9ft  Americans as I had them in stock and there was much switching of bogies in the 1930's. I do have the Fish bellies to go under it now but not a priority.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike, as ever, your response is appreciated.

Stafford Road Model Works offer a 3D printed 9' fishbelly via Shapeways so I'll get the knife into the slot in the piggy bank and go for those. They are probably not the cheapest option but I have used thier prints before and they have always worked out for me. I particularly like the integral NEM socket and the fact that they will take Bachmann or Hornby wheels which are easy to obtain.

Like the toplight brake compo I started earlier in the year (still unfinished :( ) I will fit a Wizard / Comet LNER Gresley turnbuckle etch as this will probably be as close as I could get.

I was aware of the preserved example at Didcot but the one photo I tuned up did not enlighten me. In more normal times I may have have a ride down there to see if there was a chance of viewing but with the various Covid restrictions in place (with more to follow?) and the fact that it seems to be stored with no plans for resoration means that planning a trip is difficult.

Thanks again.

Pete.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm somewhere near finished now - thank you again to those that offered advice and suggestions.

A Frogmore kit was used with a Comet chassis, the trussing came from MJT in the end. A Comet roof seemed to fit reasonably well, it has been sat on SRMW / Shapeways fishbelly bogies and I have painted it up in all-over brown as per the image I saw in the Russell appendix.

It will be in the work tray for a day or so yet, the enamel paint in my box that was masquerading as matt black when applied  to the corridor connectors turned out to be shinier than the satin that I used on the underframe and the small guard's step has broken free and made a run for it for the umpteenth time...

I need to give it a gentle run through some pointwork to check everything is OK as I am concened that the trussing may foul the bogie movement (the MJT etch is probably over length for this coach). It all seems OK when it is upside down, but hopefully that is not how it is going to be when in service.

IMGP2316.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

47 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Very nice. Which MJT product did you use for the trussing please? I've been on the hunt for toplight queenpost trussing for a while now. 

Cheers.

CoY

Product : Quantity : Price

2808: LNER 60 FT TRUSS RODS (TURNBUCKLE) (OO GAUGE) : 1 : 5.70

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt.php#CarriageComponents-Underframes&Fittings

Depending on the length of coach you are building you may want to shorten them a little.

Good luck with your build.

Pete.

• Thanks 1