The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Good North American Beer Guide

trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Drove past there yesterday. Their beers are very good and now they have moved to the new brewery on I5 they seem to be going from strength to strength with new brews appearing regularly! If you do visit I can whole heartedly recommend Great American Pizza Company. Their honey dijon chicken pizza is pure heaven.

I have been getting to know some more neighbors here and one fella makes his own beers. He's brilliant at it too! Even got his own little bar set up with 4 kegerators going. Porter, brown, Irish red and pilsner all lovely stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Drove past there yesterday. Their beers are very good and now they have moved to the new brewery on I5 they seem to be going from strength to strength with new brews appearing regularly! If you do visit I can whole heartedly recommend Great American Pizza Company. Their honey dijon chicken pizza is pure heaven.I have been getting to know some more neighbors here and one fella makes his own beers. He's brilliant at it too! Even got his own little bar set up with 4 kegerators going. Porter, brown, Irish red and pilsner all lovely stuff.

I hope he is walking distance from you!!

Not had any from that brewery. It's on our list of ones to do.

Looking forward to Portland this summer as six days to visit new breweries that have recently opened.

Portland has mighty fine suds....I was up in Portland in April and met Ozexpatriate of this parish at the Laurelwood brew pub on NE Sandy Boulevard very near where I grew up.  I can also recommend Columbia River Brewing in the same neighborhood.

Unfortunately I am not planning on the NMRA in Portland this year. It would be a little to expensive for hotels anywhere near the convention site.  I have the  SP 150th year celebration in Sacramento with SP Technical and Historical Society in October and Seattle the same month for my 50th year anniversary of 1965 graduation from the University of Washington.

best

• RMweb Premium

There's lots going on in Atlantic Canada, despite quaint licensing laws, craft beer is the only growing sector

Acbeerblog.CA has the gen every week. Here in Cape Breton, Breton Brewing opened yesterday, Big Spruce continues to thrive.

Growlers ready!

Dava

Columbia River Brewing is where we end up after visiting Hobbysmith.

Visited other Laurelwood bars but not that one.

The space occupied by Columbia River Brewing was the original home of Laurelwood. I've stopped in there after visiting Hobby Smith too.

Laurelwood moved to larger premises up NE Sandy some years ago when the brewery space at the original NE 40th location could not keep up with demand. Laurelwood has grown significantly (and also scaled back) and have multiple outlets including two at the airport.

I do prefer the beers by Laurelwood's original brewmaster. I had an interesting chat with him at the Brewers' festival some years ago.

Ian are you planning to be in Portland for the last full weekend of July - that's Oregon Brewers' Festival time.?

• RMweb Gold

Yes we have done the pub crawl round PDX. Must try and get a bottle of PDX Carpet from Rogue.

Unfortunately we keep just missing the Portland beer fest but one day you we will plan our trip better!

This year we are at the NMRA Convention.

Must try and get a bottle of PDX Carpet from Rogue.

I have a couple of bottles in the fridge, but haven't opened them yet.  It's getting harder to find though it's still listed on their website.

The carpet is getting harder to find too. The airport is making lots of progress replacing it.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully we can find some in the Rogue bar and distillery in the Pearl District. Unfortunately we can't take any back on the plane as we are stopping off on the East Coast and we just take carry on vans these days.

Looking forward to seeing the new PDX Carpet!!

Hopefully we can find some in the Rogue bar and distillery in the Pearl District. 

One of the birthplaces of the Oregon craft brew revolution. The Flanders Street Pub on 1339 NW Flanders was home to Portland Brewing Company which along with the Widmer brothers and the Ponzis at Bridgeport were instrumental in starting it all.

Portland Brewing moved from Flanders Street to a larger (very nice) facility on NW Industrial as they expanded, only to be later acquired by Pyramid Brewing of Seattle.

• RMweb Gold

Not visited the PBC location as its al title out of the centre although I believe there is a bus service. didn't realise Pyramid had bought them. The Pyramid Brewing site in Seattle is a great place only about 10 minutes walk from Amtrak King Street station.

Widmer is a favourite. One of the bar men recognises us when we visit if he's there! Also great place to watch Union Pacifi trains enter and leave Albina yard.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

October is here. Time for those wonderful malty brews that make you sleepy after lunch.

The Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest isn't spending long in my fridge but I'd like to try something else next, has anyone got any suggestions and is there a Ninkasi brew out yet as I seem to remember last years being very addictive.

... has anyone got any suggestions and is there a Ninkasi brew out yet as I seem to remember last years being very addictive.

The Sierra Nevada Octoberfest is really excellent. In wide availability the Samuel Adams Octoberfest is also around. (Nothing to complain about, but it's not as good as the Sierra Nevada. I have some of it in the fridge too.)

I'm surprised I haven't seen Widmer Brothers Okto Festival Ale this year. I'm not sure why, it is normally widely available but seems to have limited distribution this year though it appears to be on tap in a number of places. I'm keen on it because I like pretty much everything that Widmer does, but it's probably not quite as good as the Sierra Nevada offering.

Ninkasi's website says their Octoberfest is available, but I haven't noticed it.

My favorite US beer is still Yeunglings - from Pottsville, Pa I think. 

I've never had anything from them but their Yuengling Lager on tap. And yes, it's good.  They are not distributed out west though.

I see they have an Octoberfest too. It's one I would certainly like to try.

• RMweb Gold

I know that Widmer didn't have any Oktoberfest beer on August 21st as I have the beer list from our visit to their brewery pub.

Plenty of rather nice Germanic style beers htough including a Goze style which I have only ever had in Leipzig.

I did notice is that a lot of places had pumpkin beers on and generally they were very nice, much nicer than pumpkin beers we have had in the past. If I recall correctly Fat Heads in the Pearl district had one on.

We even made it to Portland Brewing Co. A superb building in an industrial area with plenty of tracks criss crossing the area although most seemed rather much out of use.

I did notice is that a lot of places had pumpkin beers on and generally they were very nice, much nicer than pumpkin beers we have had in the past. If I recall correctly Fat Heads in the Pearl district had one on.

We even made it to Portland Brewing Co. A superb building in an industrial area with plenty of tracks criss crossing the area although most seemed rather much out of use.

There are tons of pumpkin ales this year - even New Belgium Brewing has one (Pumpkick) in wide distribution. When I try them, I usually enjoy the first one - after that, not so much.

The Portland Brewing/Pyramid Brewhouse and Tap room is a lovely facility. It's nice to sit outside in the summer and by the fire on a rainy wintry night.

Regarding other Northwest Oktoberfest ales, Full Sail and Pyramid both have theirs in distribution. Nationally, Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest is available. Leinies was a great local label before being bought by Miller.

This is an interesting thread. I will head to our local brewery in Queens in this weekend in the interests of research.

I am surprised that Captain Lawrence and Goose Island haven't been mentioned so far, as they make some excellent brews. Anybody taking a trip to Cooperstown NY should try the local beer Omegang.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Dan next door here assures me Widmer Bros. have a seasonal out. His company supply many beers from various brewers of which a few have seasonal beers, so he's bringing me a mixed case. :secret:

• RMweb Gold

This is an interesting thread. I will head to our local brewery in Queens in this weekend in the interests of research.

I am surprised that Captain Lawrence and Goose Island haven't been mentioned so far, as they make some excellent brews. Anybody taking a trip to Cooperstown NY should try the local beer Omegang.

Andy

Goose Island make some nice beers. Dont recall trying Captain Lawrence ones though.

Brooklyn Brewery people in London this weekend. Utobeer in Borough market to launch their pumpkin beer 2015. Mother Kelly's on Sunday.

in other news, just received a care package from Canada. Beers from Brewsters, Phillips, and Grizzly Paw.

Archived