The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Good North American Beer Guide

trisonic

Captain Laurence is a tiny brewery located just north of NYC. It isn't widely distributed and if you find it the Freshcester Pale Ale and Liquid Gold Ales are most refreshing. Unlike many craft brews the still taste good on the second pint.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Here it is (a big one you'll notice) nice malty, hoppy, dark lager beer with a lingering finishpost-8964-0-22676000-1444266618.png. It's wonderful stuff. Don't miss out !

Even SWMBO likes it and that's saying something!!

post-8964-0-09938600-1444266605.jpg

For those in London the nice people at Bottle Dog have 20 different beers from Ballast Point available at the moment.

Ales by Mail are also having a US beer tap attack on Sat at their bottle shop on the Bermondsey beer mile. Many California brews in the UK for the first time.

The American style brown in the Hardknott brewery tap in Millom station Saturday night wasn't rather nice

Yeah I know it’s the predictive gizmo, Ian,  BUT “was” or “wasn’t”?

I’m going to get some Yeunglings “Octoberfest” this week......

Best, Pete.

• 1 month later...

Here it is (a big one you'll notice) nice malty, hoppy, dark lager beer with a lingering finishattachicon.gifnerd.png. It's wonderful stuff. Don't miss out !

Even SWMBO likes it and that's saying something!!

I had meant to post this for a while.

These were the Oktoberfest beers (locals and nationals) that I tasted at home this year. I missed one of my usual favourites - Widmer Brother's Okto. I couldn't find it bottled here in the 'burbs, though I could have made the effort to find it on tap downtown. One restaurant that had it had just moved to a winter seasonal when I asked for it.

post-1819-0-07528700-1449185495_thumb.jpg

I have to say that the Sierra Nevada offering was probably the best and closest to style - despite their reputation and usual preference for being heavily hopped.

I’m going to get some Yeunglings “Octoberfest” this week......

It's a shame they're not distributed 'out west'.

The brew list at my local today December 4, 2015:

The Drink List

0 Two Rivers Hard Apple Cider

2072 Eight Bridges Hoppy Salvation IPA

22 Guinness Stout (N2)

2104 Deschutes Pinedrops IPA

226 Widmer Hefeweizen

2287 Auburn Alehouse Hop Donkey Red

629 Sierra Nevada Best Bitter

2291 Drake's Brette Davis Eyes - S (10oz)

696 EJ Phair Ditzy Blonde

2357 Berryessa Mini Separation Anxiety

960 Drake's 1500 Pale Ale

2549 Mike Hess Brewing Grazias Vienna-Style Cream Ale

968 Drake's Denogginizer

2553 Drake's Rise Of The Dark Gord (10oz)

1343 Pabst Blue Ribbon

2554 Drake's Living After Midnight

1537 Firestone Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout

2555 Drake's Jolly Rodger '15

1794 Calicraft Oaktown Brown

2556 Drake's Jolly Rodger '15 Ferkin(10oz)

1973 Mission Brewing IPA

XX Black and Tan

This list changes twice a week.

The numbers refer to the "connoisseur" club which gets your name plastered on a wall of fame/shame for each 100 different boutique brews one consumes. Some heavy drinkers claim to have consumed over 2000 different beers, stouts, porters and ales.  The Black and Tan and cider don't count.

There is something cult (occult?) about the Pabst Blue Ribbon for 20 something techies. Personally I find it disgusting dishwater no better than a Dud. I could suppose one uses it with the Guinness to make the black and tan. Truly revolting.

The local is Pete's Brass Rail and Carwash in Danville, California. (There is no brass rail, no carwash and who the hell is Pete or so it says on the young female servers t-shirt.)

There is something cult (occult?) about the Pabst Blue Ribbon for 20 something techies. Personally I find it disgusting dishwater no better than a Dud. I could suppose one uses it with the Guinness to make the black and tan. Truly revolting.

Ken,

yes, the PBR + hipster intersection is a bit weird. I think it's a "we're cool because we're so different" thing (ie not drinking Bud, Miller or Coors) yet ironically they are essentially doing just that - drinking generic Ameri-rice lager.

Of course the Brooklyn, NY hipsters drink Narragansett.

I think the last time I drank PBR, I was in a Milwaukee pizza place. It was obligatory. And perhaps 20 years ago.

"Female server"? Is that American-ese for "barmaid"?

Fully agree that most American beer is gassy weak slop, only fit to be drunk cold when it's stinking hot, although it does serve THAT purpose rather well (seeing as cider doesn't seem to be popular over there)

Being "ironic" is so "hipster" it's practically "meta", along with all the Rosie the Riveter look-alikes covered in tattoos ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That Burnside Abominable seasonal sure hits the spot. Had a couple lunch time yesterday in the Laughing Clam and Mrs. Sasquatch had to drive the truck!... Why does Mrs. S. look so sexy driving my Truck?

Depends how cold your room is... :drink_mini:

Apologies, it was just a figure of speech.  I spent my formative drinking years in East Anglia and most of my local pubs served beer straight from barrels sat on shelves at the back of the bar.  For home parties, we'd always get a firkin of Abbot, three days beforehand, bang in the tap and then let stand on the kitchen worktop to settle.  Marvellous stuff and very fond memories.  Much as I drink gassed and chilled beers these days, they still fall a long way short of the local beers back in the 60's/70's.

Interesting contrast there. I started drinking beer in the early 70s (large 16-year-olds having few problems of that sort in those days) and Greene King was wildly unreliable, a new barrel could be good or it might taste as though it has come straight from the Cam's murky, slow-flowing stream. CAMRA did a great service by demonstrating that traditional beer COULD be brewed snd served at a consistent quality, at a sensible price, and there was more to drinking beer than quantity.

Their woolly-pulley wearing, farcically bearded beer-snobs have long been figures if fun; but they did have a perfectly valid point and we would all be poorer without their stance in the 70s and 80s

Anyway, I always knew it was near Christmas because Tolley Cobbold produced a dark, heavy beer, best drunk in the Spade and Beckett in Thompsons Lane..

Santa brought me three bottles from Ommegang including the Three Philosophers, the Chocolate Indulgence, and the Hennepin, as well as the Two Roads Road to Ruin. Once I have finished them, I will report back once I am able.

Cheers,

Andy

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Santa brought me three bottles from Ommegang including the Three Philosophers, the Chocolate Indulgence, and the Hennepin, as well as the Two Roads Road to Ruin. Once I have finished them, I will report back once I am able.

Cheers,

Andy

8 months and no report so I'm assuming they knocked you for 6!

Has anyone tried either of the Oktoberfest brews by Sierra Nevada or our own Ninkasi Brewing company. I found the Sierra wasn't as good as last years and the Ninkasi way too hoppy for a lager. Not bad though.

Shaun.

Archived