Hi all,

The new July 2014 issue of BRM goes on-sale as a Digital Edition on Friday (June 6th) and in shops on Thursday (June 12th). Here's an image of the front cover.

post-14186-0-71556400-1401704050_thumb.jpg

All copies come with a FREE 16-page mini-magazine called: The BRM Guide to Getting Started In Scenic Modelling.

post-14186-0-48645500-1401704067_thumb.jpg

Here's what else you can expect in this issue...

Layouts

- Aldbury (OO)

- Ladeside (O)

- Bedlam Heath (OO)

Practical

- Build cattle wagons

- Weather diesels

- BK Couplings

- Improve a Lima van

Reviews

- Bachmann 101

- Lionheart Pannier Prairie

- DCC Concepts Bufferstop

- Deluxe Smart Plastic

Plus…

Q&A

Reader’s Layouts

Reader’s Letters

Diary Dates

Enjoy.

Ben

• Administrators

Hi all,

The July issue Digital Edition is now available to download via your App (if you're a tablet user) or www.Pocketmags.com/BRM

The Digital Edition comes with the FREE 16-page Scenery Mini-Magazine and includes three additional picture galleries, plus the Aldbury layout video is embedded into the page.

Enjoy.

Steve

Hi Steve

I have noticed on my Kindle Fire the small picture boxes on the last couple of issues only show the first picture for a second or so and then go blank and do not work at all.

Is this a Kindle issue or have such problems been noted with other devices.

regards

Stewart 

• Administrators

Hi Steve

I have noticed on my Kindle Fire the small picture boxes on the last couple of issues only show the first picture for a second or so and then go blank and do not work at all.

Is this a Kindle issue or have such problems been noted with other devices.

regards

Stewart 

Hi Stewart,

I wasn't aware of this issue. I've just emailed Pocketmags to get their comment. I'll be in touch.

Steve

The subs copies have hit at least one doormat.  Mine shared it with a free copy of the Sun, said by some to be a newspaper, in "honour" of an association football tournament.

Back to relevant things.  This is a varied issue with a supplement on scenery that will please the haters of plastic bags no end.  The article on Charwelton did not appear, which is one way of keeping the readership in suspense.

Editor Ben's comment in his welcome piece, formerly known as the editorial, advocates fewer gimmicks or detail variations in new rtr models and muses that we could support after-market suppliers by buying conversion and detailing kits.  You could be on to something there, Ben.  Later on he takes an old Lima LMS GUV that he bought for a tenner and does it up.  Hoorah!  This is how we used to do things and should still.  Why did I let mine go for £8 in a recent bring and buy?  One thing puzzled me though and that was the reference to the very necessary replacement bogies.  Why would users of the Comet product be seen as" purists"?  Their products are good enough for underframe detailing parts, as Ben demonstrates in the article.

The other puzzle, so far, lies in Phil Parker's fascinating article on wooden wagon kits.  A fact panel is headed "What are Parliamentary trains?"  Interesting as this is, I wonder if this has escaped from another feature .  Cunning chaps, these editors.

Chris [edited to correct the typos that I did not spot at the time]

• Administrators

Hi Chris

The manufacturer of the first kit is Parliamentary Trains - I think Phil just wanted to make those who are not aware where they got their name from.

Richard

Spot on Rich. The article opens "Parliamentary Trains is a new company..." and I thought it would be sensible to explain how the name came about. It's a complicated subject and difficult to pin exact dates down for the last running of a traditional parliamentary train, perhaps someone can provide further info?

It's a really good kit too. One of the most interesting (in a good way) that I've built.

Finished Wagon 2.jpg

• Administrators

Hi all,

Just a gentle reminder that we're giving away a FREE Scenery Gift Pack worth over £50 to everyone who subscribes to BRM this month (UK only). The deal means you get the magazine for just £10.49 a quarter by direct debit.

The Scenery Gift Pack includes:

* Pack of 25 Assorted Trees

* Gaugemaster Static Grass Starter Set

* The Scenery Handbook by Peter Marriott

* Scenic Modelling DVD by Tony Hill

post-14186-0-72298100-1403187254_thumb.jpg

Click here to subscribe, but be quick as stock is limited!

• Administrators

Went to try to get a copy in town last week, but there was none left. Good news is that Tesco in Perth seem to have restocked and I got a copy on Monday.

Waverley47708

Great news - do you like the issue?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting copy. I'd echo the comment about seeing more articles on starting up 'obsolete' models to better match current RTR standards. Should open the box-buyer's eyes to a more fulfilling and potential cheaper way of getting stock, particularly with the price of RTR going up. Would be good to see some wagon and coach conversions too rather than more standard kit building articles. I'd happily put my money where my mouth is and knock something up but my previous submissions have had a habit of getting lost in the system!

Hello

I think it's rather good but then I'm biased. Thanks for featuring Bedlam Heath and an especial thanks to Paul Bason for the great pictures. I don't think it mentions it in the article but the layout's next appearance is at Milton Keynes on August 16th followed by Shenfield on September on September 20th.

Cheers

George

It's always great to see one of George's layouts in print, one of the great characters on the exhibition circuit (in the nicest possible way!).

BedlamHeath2.jpg

Mike Bisset produces really aymospheric models and this month's issue includes Ladeside which you can also read up more on here - http://www.stmarnockengineshed.co.uk/Ladeside_Diesel_Depot.html

Ladeside-1.jpg

Bill Garden of Perth MRC (whose show is this weekend) describes Aldbury, unusually for a Scottish club it's a WR BLT.

Aldbury-2.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for those additonal pictures, Andy. I really like Bedlam Heath, very impressed with how much has been squeezed into the small space. The goods yard track appearing from under the bridge to avoid a set of points is perhaps a bit contrived but definitely a space saver.... :)

Archived