Alnwick Station

Kaolin2FS

Alnwick... home of Hogwarts, the Alnwick Gardens and Barter Books in the beautiful station trainshed.  Perfect subject for a model of a small NE terminus!  But can anyone please assist with information or photos from 1940 until closure in 1968?  Information I am aware of so far:

Disused Stations: Alnwick Station

Ernies Railway Archive

North-Eastern Branch Line Termini (Ken Hoole) (on order)

Northumbrian Railways website (previously at www.northumbrian-railways.co.uk) - does anyone know where this has disappeared to?

Very grateful for any more sources of photographs or information.

Graham

To be honest, if you've got "North Eastern Branch Line Termini" on order, you'll be hard-pressed to top it.  For Alnwick there's a detailed chapter, with photographs and plans of buildings.

"LNER Branch Line Album" (Gammell) has a short section and a couple of photos, but hardly worth buying just for that.  Nothing in "North Eastern Album" (Hoole) as far as I can tell from a quick glance.

There was an article "Coal Staithes at Alnwick" in the January 1972 edition of "Model Railways", which I've mentioned here before (I don't think I - or anyone - ever uploaded any scans).

• RMweb Premium

Robert Robotham's 'Branches & Byways SW Scotland & Border Counties' (OPC) has detail sections with plans on Alnwick-Coldstream-Alnmouth. Also Barter Books had a new book on the line.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

There is also a fairly recent book devoted to the Alnwick branch—"The Alnwick Branch" by Bartle Rippon, published by Kestrel, ISBN 978-1-905505-11-1. And of course Alnwick station building still exists—it is the base for Barter Books and a number of other enterprises.

(Edited to correct details.)

Thank you all for the information - gratefully received!

To be honest, if you've got "North Eastern Branch Line Termini" on order, you'll be hard-pressed to top it.  For Alnwick there's a detailed chapter, with photographs and plans of buildings.

"LNER Branch Line Album" (Gammell) has a short section and a couple of photos, but hardly worth buying just for that.  Nothing in "North Eastern Album" (Hoole) as far as I can tell from a quick glance.

There was an article "Coal Staithes at Alnwick" in the January 1972 edition of "Model Railways", which I've mentioned here before (I don't think I - or anyone - ever uploaded any scans).

Thanks Eddie, North Eastern Branch Line Termini arrived today, and it has a far larger section on Alnwick than I was expecting before I read your post.  It really is just what I was after.  I may also look up the Model Railways article when I'm further down the route of detailed layout planning.

Doesn't it get a mention in Barry Norman's layout design book?

Ed

I'd heard mention of that book in one of the posts I came across during research, I'll look it up as I'm sure it will have some good design simplifications, thank you

The goods shed is available as a kit, or will be shortly. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85008-alnwick-goods-shed/

Ah but sadly only in OO guage as far as I understand!

There is a good article in BackTrack November 2012 (Vol 26 No 11) on the Alnwick - Alnmouth branch with a handful of BR photos, including some in colour.

Perfect, I'll get on it thanks!

Robert Robotham's 'Branches & Byways SW Scotland & Border Counties' (OPC) has detail sections with plans on Alnwick-Coldstream-Alnmouth. Also Barter Books had a new book on the line.

Dava

The OPC would be worth a look, and I think the new Barter books is entitled 'The Alnwick Branch' by Bartle Rippon.  I'm hunting it down...

There is also a fairly recent book devoted to the Alnwick branch--I think it was published by N.E.R.A. (North Eastern Railway Association).

I think this is probably 'The Alnwick Branch'?

In addition, I came across 'The Alnwick and Cornhill Railway' which was published a few years ago by the NERA.  Although there is plenty of excellent reference material including station layouts and drawings of station buildings, goodsheds and signal boxes, there is very little on Alnwick station itself.  However, a mine of information for anyone wanting to research the Cornhill/Coldstream branch.

Thanks again for the help - plenty to start planning with.

Graham

Archived