class 22

Guest simon.exd

Guest simon.exd

Assuming that not everyone is on Facebook, have you all heard about the ambitious plan to build a class 22?

There is a group calling themselves project 22 who have sourced an engine and are proposing to rebuild a class 22

For anyone that likes the hydraulics this is a fantastic project..

Drop by and give them your support

Speaking to one of the group with their stand  at Minehead yesterday they have found an engine which they believe is off a D600 which has been used as a standby generator for the last 40 years.

This is the aim of the current fundraising.  They also have access to around 90 % of the works drawings. 

They have a small shop selling the usual things, and a web site which i believe will be called 'class22newbuid.co.uk' which will be live shortly.

'10 + years and around £1m will build D6358 '

With an engine and drawings anything is possible, will it happen ? who knows, but i think its worth supporting

John

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, all, Project 22 is alive and well and is looking forward to an official launch later this year. We have only been in existence for a few months and have already found a source for the original NBL Drawings, the first of which are on order. There is a running L12V 18/21 BS engine secured for our use by a benefactor and we know about the one at Bury. There is a lead on a possible 3rd engine as well. Our website is being developed so keep looking at www.class22newbuild,co.uk or visit us at "Project 22" on Facebook. Come and join us for the very first Diesel new build!

Doug

Project Manager for The Project Class 22 Society

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've applied to join on Facebook, but it is a closed group and applications have to be approved by the admins.

It sounds like an excellent project, and I would love to see one working again. Unfortunately, nothing will ever re-create the sound of a pair of them accelerating away from Dawlish Warren station with an evening ECS in Aug 1968. I think it had been looped in order to allow a passenger service to overtake, but the precise details became irrelevant as the driver opened both locos up and the train soon disappeared around the bend towards Dawlish.

I think they were D6334 and D6339 but I can't find my notes to be sure.

What really hits me now, is that was 46 years ago. 

It was stated that one of the MAN engines recently 'discovered' was belonging to a D600 class. Where are the other 2

engines from then? Could one of them be off a Blue Pullman set? They were reputedly the best of the MAN engines

operating in the UK, and they were made in Germany.

A very worthwhile project.!

Perhaps after the class 22 they could start on a D6xx Warship.?

I think of the D6xxs as being the most handsome diesels ever built. :declare:

Keith

If they did make a start on a full size D6XX, there  would be a good chance of it being up and running before Kernow had their oo example available. :jester:

Keith.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys.

I am the chairman to the project 22.

We have now had the first batch of drawings received, these are currently being analysed as to start discussions on the fabrication of the chassis frame.

Component sourcing and acquiring has also begun so we have parts when we need them, and have some big names assisting us.

As for the website I must say sorry we had some technical issues with it, but it is now alive and well and hosts a lot of info, our merchandise, donation link, and much more.

www.class22newbuild.co.uk

Many thanks for showing support

David

Chairman for project 22

Following on from David's post, we have knowledge of 3 NBL/MAN L12V 18/21 engines, all were originally fitted to D833 (Class 43) Warships and we believe that all were fitted to D6306 (Class 22) at some time during their life. We are still looking out for many parts that can be used, main one being a Voith LT306r transmission, we think we have tracked down one or more on the Continent and are investigating further. On the smaller scale, we are looking for things such as seats, Gauges, wiper motors, switches, lamps etc. all the bits that will take time to find as most are not available new. Modern equivalents for some parts will be available and will need to be used, but, we want to make this as authentic as possible.

So, as David says, come and join us. Become a pioneer in Diesel New Builds!

Regards,

Doug

Project Manager for the Project Class 22 Society

• 8 months later...

Just a quick update, The Project Class 22 Society have purchased and transported to a secure yard in South Wales, NBL/MAN L12V 18/21 BS engine number 220.

This engine was new in a Class 22 and used in at least 3 Class 43 between 1964 & 1969.

It appears to be in a good condition and has been barred over successfully. We are some time away from a attempted start as we will be overhauling the Governor, Overspeed device, Injection pumps and turbocharger as they have been exposed to the elements for some time.

Please visit our website www.Class22NewBuild.co.uk for more information, or join our 'Project 22' Facebook group.

Archived