Hulton Lane

The Ghost of IKB

Having bought Gronk the Shunter's stock and getting his layout "Short thin and Pointless" http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57399-short-thin-and-totally-pointless/ thrown in for free, I decided to set about extending it to fit into it's new home and doing a couple of things that I know Gronk had been toying with, an extension and a change of gauge from OO to EM.  I started last night with the idea of replacing the track.  Luckily Gronk must have used PVA glue because after a few minutes of having hot water on it the ballast and track came up easily, but also the platform and the goods shed came loose too!

The plans are that there will be another 4 foot long board which will have the now island platform on.  In place of where the platform was on the original board will be the headhunt to a colliery exchange siding.

In deference to Gronk's original "over Hulton becomes Hulton Lane, which I think is somewhere in Bolton.  Think of rattley DMU's, coal wagons, rain, puddles and the occasional Austerity colliery loco and you'll have a good idea of where I want this to go!

Class 47 and coal train sits in exchange siding , where the  original station sat.

post-22472-0-21314100-1401958470.jpg

Having enjoyed reading through Gronk's original tread I shall follow your progress with interest. That first pic shows some real atmosphere even without any track. Good luck with the project

GJ

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update, been trying to (slowly) build points.  First one wasn't brilliant.  Theres a tight spot where wagons will ever so slightly lift a wheel.  Second one is better and was built quicker.  Two down , three more to go.  Just got to work out the best way to operate them,  Converted my first loco, a bachy 25, a simple wheel pull job, far from sophisticated, but it gives me something to run and re-wheeled five coal wagons.  Not the biggest railway but its a start!

Hopefully some pictures tomorrow. 

• 1 year later...

So, one year later... amazing how time flies, but some progress at last. First of all apologies for any spelling mistake that I miss - when I wa building points a couple of week ago I spilled butanone on my keyboard -which melted the WEASZXC buttons - in very quick time indeed - less than 2 seconds.  Now I have to PRESS very hard to get those letter to work! If I type rubbish you can work out wht letters to add!

After lots of procrastinating I eventually decided to build bigger boards, the scenic section will now be 8 foot by 20 inches with a 4'6" traverser at one end.

Inspiration (but by no means anything like a copy) comes from Bury Bolton Street - before preservation, but since I like parcel vans platform one will still be open. The fake history of the line is a LNWR built line from the bury - man vic line at radcliffe to Bolton Great Moor Street, going through Little Lever with a spur to serve Nob End colliery (I kid you not - what a fabulous name!)  then onward to Hulton Lane where there is  junction for Great moor Street Station in one direction and then through to Wigan via a fictional line which joins the wcml just north of wigan north western. The remains of the Atherton Bag Lane Line is connected to this route a couple of miles further along, giving access (if we pretend some lines are still open) to parsonage and bickershaw collieries.   I'll draw a diagram when I get round to it.

In the time set it's imagined that the LMS intended to electrify the route to wigan at 1200v dc, however at WW2 the line was electrified only a far a Hulton lane and following the war no further progress was made.

Set in mid - late 1970's traffic will be:

trip workings of coal between bickershaw and rawtentall coal depot.

Van to and from the Barr factory at atherton - (in reality it a distribution depot I think but in this universe it make Irn Bru - Made not in Scotland from girders but in lancashire from mostly sugar)

Two parcels workings a day

EMU to Bury

DMU to Wigan and some extended to Liverpool

possibly - because I remember them so well a Cardiff via Crewe 33.

• 4 months later...

Archived