Hi

My latest project for my railway is a small/average sized permanent way depot in one of the corners. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice of what to include. It is Network Rail and I currently have figures and some suitable vehicles. I've seen layouts such as Sanatorium Road which are based around a similar setting but I am looking for a smaller example.

Any pictures of models or actual depots would be appreciated 

Thank You

MatthewEWS

Try a couple of sidings some concrete hard standing surrounded by a Knightwing security fence and 2 Knightwing portakabins, a couple of Oxford network rail transit vans parked up inside, all you need then is some track plant.

Thanks,

I currently have one transit in NR but I'm hopefully going to try a modification to make one into a tipper and also purchase the new Oxford Diecast NR Landrover Defender. I have a Hornby works office. The fence is in the post. Looking for a RTR or Kit Road Rail excavator, any one know where I could get one at a decent price? The sign should of attached now so let me know what you think

post-21576-0-72411800-1402211579_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

A depot of that size would have a few crew vans and probably a flatbed. There would probably be a road rail on tracking point near the depot so you would see a road rail excavator and trailer that has just been delivered by road or waiting to be collect. You can almost guarantee there will be a pile of temporary/emergency speed boards and magnets piled up in a corner (the flourescent yellow type). Small plant is normally kept in shipping containers. There may be a few small tools lying around like generators, stressing kits, possession marker boards etc. There would be a few new rails and s&c componants waiting to be installed but not mountains of the stuff at a small depot. Office/mess room is going to be of the prefab type and alot of the larger area depots still have temporary buildings. You could pile some 1 tonne ballast bags next to the trackside access gate waiting to be collected by a road railer. You could also have staff vehicles parked up and some pretty tough fencing surrounding your depot. Just a few ideas, hope it helps...

You might find this view from David Todd of interest:-

http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/ferriesdover/media/Dover%20from%20the%20hill/P1000720.jpg.html

Things to note are the skip (quite often, there'd be one for scrap and one for general rubbish) and the 'Transit'-type vehicle, which is probably used to deliver small plant to site. I'd suggest something like this, or a HIAB-fitted vehicle would be more common than a small tipper,

Other things often seen are drums of fuel/hydraulic fluid for the plant, and stacks of empty pallets that have been used to bring things like cable trunking to site.

Thanks, very useful indeed. By small tipper I meant Transit tipper but I will probably invest in a HIAB vehicle. As for skips I have them already and pallets are due for delivery soon.

Any more pictures by any chance?

Thanks, very useful indeed. By small tipper I meant Transit tipper but I will probably invest in a HIAB vehicle. As for skips I have them already and pallets are due for delivery soon.

Any more pictures by any chance?

David might have some more on his Photobucket site. i just saw the image and thought it might give you some ideas.

Here are a few pics of Gillingham (Kent) P/Way depot. Portastors for materials and plant, tool vaults (S-Kits do resin versions), portacabin for staff and seperate toilet cabin, lighting both columns and spots on the cabins. Space for NR vans, staff cars and delivery of materials. Many skips are now necessary but I think the rubbish goes to Faversham for processing due to size of the site.

post-1373-0-96850400-1403293161_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-99174000-1403293180_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-59321500-1403293197_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

How abot a nice Judith Edge PWM Shunter?

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/141

Nice model, very relevant and I guarantee not many others will have one.......

Hi,

Actually, very few NR 'Depots' have rail access or track at all, in fact the only places where NR buildings and other trains come together are at the Depot at Derby where Test Trains etc are kept and at Rail freight Yards, although many of the these have NR Depots close by, but these aren't rail connected.

Simon

Simon is right permanent way yards tend to not have rail access. The ones I am aware of on the Chiltern railways route are adjacent to tracks but only because they are located on small pieces of railway land and some have track access points (gates leading onto the railway but no more)

There are two at high Wycombe and one is separated from the railway by a low barrier only

Typically the pway team will travel by road and use an official access point.

In response to an earlier question Kibri make a good road rail kit I have just motorised one as per this thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84639-kibri-road-rail-excavator/

If you can get hold of an old film called the navigators it is about pway maintenance crews in the days of British rail and the old yellow vans and crew buses

The following images is a wagon repair yard and I think is one of those featured in rail express

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8071/8338811260_ac83002d13.jpg

The link below May also be of interest

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73101-ews-yards/

Blackburn and Kirkham PW depots both have rail access.

Blackburn often plays host to a Stoneblower, as there are bays for the stone with the depot itself, whereas Kirkham actually has about 3 sidings next to the depot, where tampers and stoneblowers stable.

At Leeds we have the former loco depot at Holbeck which was used as a stabling point and fueling point at the end of B.R. now is a network rail depot and training site, if you get chance to visit there is a small compound just bellow the road bridge containing loads of small bits of p.way, like a short length of track with all different types of sleepers some point equipment some overhead line equipment, a good little cameo for a layout, you could also add some track workers doing some training. The depot is also used by other inferstructure companies which can mean you can find some interesting plant sat in the sidings. You can also find roadrail vehicles parked at the far end of the depot and quite a few network rail vans parked by the buildings.

Few more photos for your reference

Photo below is the depot on the Down side at High Wycombe there is another depot on the Up side, this picture was taken a couple of years back

post-19340-0-40769500-1405611407_thumb.jpg

Leamington Depot, these photos were taken about two years ago before the depot was moved back to increase the station car park size.

post-19340-0-52191600-1405611413_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-69888100-1405611419_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-36045800-1405611426_thumb.jpg

Final set of Photos show the Stone Blower at Banbury, there is a very large maintennce depot at Banbury which covers P-Way Electrics Signalling and possible Telecoms. The Stone Blower is a distance away from Banbury Depot and Stables in the Down Neck. There is road access and stoareg for ballast. I dont beleive the stone blower operaiotn has anything to do with Banbury Depot.

There are two Mileage sidings next to the Main Banbury Depot the closest one is used for Tampers but is served by a crew in a van, the Tamper was relocated from the other side of the tracks to increase the stabling for Chiltern Stock.

The adjacent track  is used for Overnight Chiltern Stabling, I can post some photos of Banbury Depot if they would be useful.

post-19340-0-14427900-1405611432_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-52627800-1405611438_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-71187200-1405611444_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-13936800-1405611451_thumb.jpg

Archived