LED layout lighting

DanielB

Arrrrgh! Why is electronics so confusing!  :O

I have a lighting conundrum and I'm hoping the forum members can help. I'm trying to get some lighting constructed to illuminate my layout for an exhibition I am attending.

I have these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-EVER-Flexible-Strips-16-4ft/dp/B004JRNNH2/ref=sr_1_39?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1397631883&sr=1-39&keywords=lighting+ever+led

And am waiting for delivery of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEDER%C2%AE-POWER-ADAPTER-POWERING-LIGHTS/dp/B0044EJ3PQ/ref=pd_bxgy_light_img_y

Would I need anything else to go with it, or will this simply be "plug and play?" As I'm running out of time I need to ensure that I get the required items ordered this weekend so I can get the wiring completed by next weekend for the exhibition!

Cheers guys. :D

Should be OK according to the specs the LEDs will have a current draw of 2A and the PSU can provide up to 4A. The only additional item might be the LED strip to power supply adaptor mentioned in the "other items bought with this product", otherwise you will have to remove the plug on the output side of the PSU and make your own connection which probably void the warranty.

Richard

Daniel,

I have just fixed a 5m strip of the same specification LED tape under my main baseboards to illuminate the lower level and I am pleased with the amount of light they give.  My baseboards are 4ft wide/deep and I have fitted them behind the front edge of the frame (so they are not visible from the operating well).  I find the light adequate for viewing in my loft.  As Richard says, you will probably need and adapter because the strip will have "tails" at each end and your power supply has a plug.  If you don't mind invalidating your warranty, you could cut off the plug from the 12v end of the power supply (make sure you select the right one!) and connect the wires with a terminal block.  Whatever you do, do NOT connect the tails at the other end of the tape together - I put them into a terminal block to keep them apart.

Harold.

Archived