TRACTION 222

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

Cover-2222.jpg

TRACTION issue 222 was published on Friday 6th June.

Back in the summer of 1968, I headed south from Yorkshire on my first solo railway holiday. My initial destination was Southampton on the recently electrified Waterloo to Bournemouth main line: to say I was enthralled would be an understatement. A Sunday morning spent on the station was in complete contrast to what I’d experienced at home, when the railway almost shut down on a Sunday: there were trains everywhere! Colin Boocock’s article ‘THE 1967 ELECTRIFICATION TO BOURNEMOUTH’ brought back those memories of BR’s ingenious solution to the problems of this route.

A train service that has long intrigued many enthusiasts was the ‘HARWICH BOAT TRAIN’, which ran between Manchester and Harwich. Raymond Briscall spent many afternoons at Piccadily station taking photographs of this cross-country train.

David Hayes concludes his article about ‘WORCESTER FREIGHT IN THE 1980s’ by looking in detail at the Speedlink and Enterprise days, once again backed up by an impressive selection of photographs by Paul Dorney.

Nighttime photography is often a challenge, but Anthony Kay accepted this and, in ‘CAPITAL NIGHTS’, we see how he has captured the atmosphere of some of the large London termini after most of the passengers have gone home.

As I’m sure most readers will know, 2014 is the 25th anniversary of the year that will go down in railway history as the one when the Settle and Carlisle line was reprieved from closure. To commemorate this, the editor looks in detail at ‘SETTLE AND CARLISLE FREIGHT IN THE SIXTIES AND SEVENTIES….’ and then goes on to describe present day locomotive performance in ‘(….AND OVER THE LINE TODAY ON A COAL TRAIN)’.

Back in BR’s Sectorisation days, locomotive haulage returned to some routes in the North West and Gavin Morrison was there to record them on film. In ‘LOCOMOTIVE HAULED TO THE LANCASHIRE COAST’ we go back to those ‘end of an era’ days.

Staying in the north, Brian Ringer undertook a journey by car to seek out some of the more unusual aspects of the railways in the late 1970s. In ‘A NORTHERN ODYSSEY: PART 1’ he visited Whitehaven, Workington, Blyth and Consett in search of some real railway oddities.

David Mitchell has opened his photo archive to remind readers of those specials that took the ‘RAILTOURING CLASS 25s’ all over Britain

This issue’s model railway feature is Jeff Nicholls’ evocative ‘KYLE ROAD’ depot in O Scale, set somewhere in the Glasgow area.

Living in Sussex Phil Barnes regularly used the ferry to visit France for day trips and in ‘THE NEWHAVEN MARINE AND DIEPPE MARITIME LINES’ we see examples of locomotive haulage on both sides of the Channel.

Stephen Rabone

Important notice for readers

We have had significant feedback from readers telling us that you prefer TRACTION’s publication in a bi-monthly sequence, rather than the current schedule of nine issues spread unevenly through the year. So, in listening to the points raised by many of you, we are reverting to the bi-monthly format with six issues a year. The revised publication dates are shown below for your reference. Readers with existing subscriptions for nine issues will of course receive nine copies of TRACTION but spread out over a longer period of time.

In addition many readers have also contacted us to say that they would like us to continue with the modelling section. As a taste of things to come, we are planning a TRACTION MODELLING supplement to be included with the next issue. The September/October issue, TRACTION 223, will be on sale on the 1st August. Make a note and watch out for that!

PUBLICATION DATES

1st August 2014

3rd October 2014

5th December 2014

6 February 2015

3rd April 2015

5th June 2015

Archived