Evocotive railway remains, what derelect or abandoned structure stirs your emotions?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Johnster said:

Walnut Tree Viaduct remains between Radyr and Taff's Well; not the pier in the middle of the valley but the western abutments, lost in the woods on the hillside of the Little Garth, dark brick arches and vaults striding purposelessly out into the void.  They soar into the mist on dull days, or are surrounded by wild garlic in spring, and amazing autumn colours in, um...  They have a presence, but despite their size and bulk have to be looked for, and the viewpoint is upwards from underneath, enhancing the impressiveness of this gaunt and forgotten, but beautiful, monument to Davies Llandinam's greed, or enterprise, depending on which side of that fence you sit.  Tens of thousands of commuters pass by every day on the Taff Vale line and the A470 below, most of whom are unknowing and uncaring of their existence.  They not infrequently haunt my dreams...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/02/2018 at 11:16, Trog said:

There are also similar walls around the back of Bletchley station carpark, and beside Mcconnell drive in Wolverton. There are also some forming the front garden walls of a couple of cottages in Linslade facing onto Wing Road on the opposite side of Ship Road to the Ship Pub.

I'll have to have a look next time I'm down.

• Like 1

In couple of weeks I will be running through Devonshire and Combe Down tunnels in Bath by the end of 10K I will probably sound like a 9F with the pines on.  When ever I am in Sussex I like to drive past Rowfant station and the remains of the Ouse valley railway.

Keith

• Like 4

And this is what remains of the station its located between Hollingwood and Staveley right next to the old Staveley works . On this side of the canal the platforms can still be seen on both sides of the trackbed but on the other side of the canal its been swept away for a carpark for the little cafe and shop just behind what remains of the station.

20200217_141227.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 12/02/2020 at 19:00, vulcan product fan said:

This is milers dale viaduct a very short walk from Headstone tunnel.

20190101_120615.jpg

And to think that but for WW1 the Midland would have electrified the whole route to get their freight traffic over it more efficiently.  Lovely 80 ton Bo Bo's in Maroon using high voltage AC.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

This is quite interesting, going back earlier in the thread showing some photos of the goods shed and power station conveyor, this is a video on youtube from some urbex guys where they climb around and fly a drone around so we can have a better look!

• Like 7

Martin Zero is great, he's a train spotter from the Eighties looking over life around the Manchester area.

He doesn't claim to know everything and his enthusiasm for the videos he produces is infectious.

A video about Pomona island was eye opening about how Manchester used to look before industrialisation took a total grip on the landscape of west Manchester and Trafford.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Might not seem like much to the casual eye, but this little overbridge just east of Theddingworth on the old Rugby - Market Harborough line has always fascinated me as it was the location used in 'Robbery' in 1967 where Stanley Baker's gang of crims relieve the 'night mail to London' of its high value contents... the damaged brickwork you can see in the film is still visible toady....

Robbery_Bridge_location_Theddingworth__5.jpg

Robbery%20location%20Tour%2030_04_2011%20(13).jpg

Robbery%20location%20Tour%2030_04_2011%20(18).jpg

Robbery_Bridge_location_Theddingworth__7.jpg

Robbery #20.jpg

Robbery #120.jpg

Robbery #169.jpg

Robbery #200.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

I came past there on the way to Crewe on my first real outing in my first car, and saw the filming! My car was a 1955 Austin A30, shadowing our mates in a 1964 Zephyr 6, on a trainspotting trip. Sadly for me, on the way back my car "failed"; we all came back in the Ford (Don't ask how many - I think it was 9 of us). The next day Grandad took me back to tow the A30 home - with a sit up & beg 3 speed  Ford Anglia (1953?). When we got home he found the problem, loads of grass & earth had been put in the petrol tank, we think by a neighbour but couldn't prove it. From that date I've always had a locking petrol cap.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

For me, it's the A34 dual cabbageway, which abuts up to the old Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Railway for a great deal of its mileage. In winter, the foliage dies back a little, and you can still see quite a bit of the line. I used to travel to Southampton on a regular basis, and it still makes me rather sad.

The A473 bypass now bisects what was Tonteg Junction, where the right of way shows the platform ends.

• Like 4

I think the rotting remains of Watlington station. The landowner doesn't like visitors to it (to put it mildly!) but all its buildings remained derelict and slowly rotting but largely intact for at least forty years after it finally closed in 1961. I've not been up the lane it's on for a couple of years but I've heard that the station building recently collapsed.  It was always one of the most archetypical quiet GW rural termini and John Ahern used its building for Gammon End on the Madder Valley. More happily, the very attractive station building  (there were three such on the branch) has been faithfully reproduced at Chinnor by the C&PRR. That rebuilt station is now wonderfully evocative though obviously and thankfully no longer a 'remain' .

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've followed this thread for some time and havd thought long and hard about what renains are evocative to me.  I think that the ones that really stirred me were some of the slate mine railway renains in Snowdonia. In particular the one at the top of the Croeser Valley that ends up nearly vertical before heading into a tunnel at  it's summit.  When climbing in the area I wondered how people could even plan such routes let alone build them.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I've followed this thread for some time and havd thought long and hard about what renains are evocative to me.  I think that the ones that really stirred me were some of the slate mine railway renains in Snowdonia. In particular the one at the top of the Croeser Valley that ends up nearly vertical before heading into a tunnel at  it's summit.  When climbing in the area I wondered how people could even plan such routes let alone build them.

Jamie

Still lots of it left under Croeser. Turntables.jpg.e89e173f3bf336f329d9cd58a087811d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/02/2020 at 17:00, Rugd1022 said:

Might not seem like much to the casual eye, but this little overbridge just east of Theddingworth on the old Rugby - Market Harborough line has always fascinated me as it was the location used in 'Robbery' in 1967 where Stanley Baker's gang of crims relieve the 'night mail to London' of its high value contents... the damaged brickwork you can see in the film is still visible toady....

Robbery_Bridge_location_Theddingworth__5.jpg

Robbery%20location%20Tour%2030_04_2011%20(13).jpg

Robbery%20location%20Tour%2030_04_2011%20(18).jpg

Robbery_Bridge_location_Theddingworth__7.jpg

Robbery #20.jpg

Robbery #120.jpg

Robbery #169.jpg

Robbery #200.jpg

And here's the real thing. Bridego bridge, scene of the crime, seen here in March 2018.

IMG_20180323_095715.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

And here's the real thing. Bridego bridge, scene of the crime, seen here in March 2018.

IMG_20180323_095715.jpg

Still known to most of us on the job as 'train robber's bridge', it makes it easy to find for taxi drivers taking us there on ballast jobs in the middle of the night. Lost count of how many times I've driven over it!

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I think the rotting remains of Watlington station. The landowner doesn't like visitors to it (to put it mildly!) but all its buildings remained derelict and slowly rotting but largely intact for at least forty years after it finally closed in 1961. I've not been up the lane it's on for a couple of years but I've heard that the station building recently collapsed.  It was always one of the most archetypical quiet GW rural termini and John Ahern used its building for Gammon End on the Madder Valley. More happily, the very attractive station building  (there were three such on the branch) has been faithfully reproduced at Chinnor by the C&PRR. That rebuilt station is now wonderfully evocative though obviously and thankfully no longer a 'remain' .

Some pics at disused-stations: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/watlington/index.shtml

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2020 at 18:49, KeithHC said:

In couple of weeks I will be running through Devonshire and Combe Down tunnels in Bath by the end of 10K I will probably sound like a 9F with the pines on.  When ever I am in Sussex I like to drive past Rowfant station and the remains of the Ouse valley railway.

Keith

Relish Running? Might see you there!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The overbridge at Horden. The lines there split from the Durham coast line into the pit. Spent a lot of time watching Q6s and J27s from that bridge. The bridge is there...the pit isn't. 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Friendly/supportive 2