Evocotive railway remains, what derelect or abandoned structure stirs your emotions?

Not sure if this counts as evocative*.

Wagon chassis, with plate "LNER | STANDARD 12 TONS | 1927 | DARLINGTON | 35091" at Elsecar yesterday.

There used to be two derelict wagon chassis in a muddy hollow on the Potteric Carr bird reserve (near Doncaster), but that part of the reserve is no longer open to the public. Could this one have been rescued from there? Only a theory.

- Much later edit (26/2/20): just found my photos of the Potteric Carr ones. One of them had similar spoked wheels, but it was half-buried upside down, and it's hard to see anything conclusive.

1714535354_35091Elsecar.jpg.0ec8cf4f08e117170b42b116aed99e59.jpg

27472749_35091closeup.jpg.94f31906c42fe3d98b26737a154895c0.jpg

* I suppose it evoked the phrase "put it out of its misery".

Edited by eastwestdivide
found old photos
  • Like 7

While out with the dogs a few weeks ago, came across this relic on a branch line abandoned in the early sixties. I’ve walked the route dozens of times but never noticed it, I guess the undergrowth conceals it for most of the year as even at this time of year, it was barely visible through some leafless bushes.

19B40763-BA62-4643-9896-7DF535066F60.jpeg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, dagrizz said:

Ceptic, thanks for the pic, but where is it please? I like old bridges and would like to go and see it if I'm ever in the area.

Graham

8 hours ago, Reorte said:

Looks like Meldon.

Meldon Viaduct it is. Well spotted Reorte.

View looking North, down the lane that leads up to the QuarryMeldon_Viaduct_&_Quarry._(2).png.9ace34850b6939034062194b41705e26.png from the A30.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 15:24, Rugd1022 said:

Still known to most of us on the job as 'train robber's bridge', it makes it easy to find for taxi drivers taking us there on ballast jobs in the middle of the night. Lost count of how many times I've driven over it!

In the days before the railway was lined with prison fencing I several times kicked sightseers off the line there, and some somewhat lost ones at Hospital Bridge.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Trog said:

In the days before the railway was lined with prison fencing I several times kicked sightseers off the line there, and some somewhat lost ones at Hospital Bridge.

Which I think I'd know as the bridge where Leighton TSC used to be? I remember my dad taking me there. He went into the compound, something had happened, not sure what. I stayed in the car, watching the trains.

When I took my first driving lesson, the instructor drive us out under that bridge, and into Ledburn, where we swapped over.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

Which I think I'd know as the bridge where Leighton TSC used to be? I remember my dad taking me there. He went into the compound, something had happened, not sure what. I stayed in the car, watching the trains.

When I took my first driving lesson, the instructor drive us out under that bridge, and into Ledburn, where we swapped over.

That's the one named for the smallpox isolation hospital that used to stand on the other side of the road.

Years ago I enlarged the car park there while waiting to take some diggers up the bank and onto the line. There were a couple of apple trees in the way so we moved them and replanted them out of the way. They were just starting to grow on nicely when WCRM came through and cut them both down.

Edited by Trog
poxy extra space in small pox doh.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Trog said:

That's the one named for the smallpox isolation hospital that used to stand on the other side of the road.

Years ago I enlarged the car park there while waiting to take some diggers up the bank and onto the line. There were a couple of apple trees in the way so we moved them and replanted them out of the way. They were just starting to grow on nicely when WCRM came through and cut them both down.

All different now, with the bypass spoiling the view!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Didcot, Newbury and Southampton a few years ago. First pic just around the corner from us as the line leaves Didcot. Second is the bridge for farm access to West Hagbourne. I've never seen pics taken when the line was operational in this area.

20180302_091726.jpg

20180302_093815.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Reorte said:

Buxton?

Thanks for the history of the site but would someone please be kind enough to explain what was happening with the "tunnel" and train in this pic? Why was it (whatever it was) done there? Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit of googling gave me the answer. The site is used by the Health and Safety executive and the mock up of a tube was used after the 7/7 bombings as a test of the destruction of a tube train in a tunnel. Redundant Jubilee line stock apparently 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

image.png

Years of cutbacks have had a detrimental effect on the Strategic Reserve

You may joke about the Strategic Reserve, but the old Grin Low quarry nearby was used to hold the National Reserve Coal Stock in the 1950s. It was said to hold about 1 million tons. 

The pipe shown is visible on the Google maps satellite view and is within the site of the Health and Safety Laboratory. This used to be the Mines Safety establishment. 

In WW1 the area was used as a proofing range for trench mortars known as the Frith Range. It also carried out rectification works on armaments and munitions salvage.

A connection about 1100 yards long was built to the LNWR line into Buxton. In WW2 the RAF built bomb stores which were covered with quarry waste in the area. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

A bit of googling gave me the answer. The site is used by the Health and Safety executive and the mock up of a tube was used after the 7/7 bombings as a test of the destruction of a tube train in a tunnel. Redundant Jubilee line stock apparently

So it's not the start of the UK end of Elon Musk's Hyperloop then?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Current OS maps have it marked as "HSE Laboratory", but a slightly older one I've got (from the 90s) has it as the slightly more exciting-sounding "Health and Safety Executive Explosion and Flame Laboratory." Maybe they've deciding blowing things up and setting them on fire is neither safe nor healthy :)

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I have vague memories, that a long time ago, when we had a mininh industry, that a place in the hills near Buxton used to certificate flameproofing for mining locos and other equipment. It might have been the same place. I also have memories of attendi g a pop feztival somewhere up there, with bu kers visible around the site. Howe the vagueness of the menories may be for a totally different  reason.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

............ a place in the hills near Buxton used to certificate flameproofing for mining locos and other equipment. It might have been the same place.

The Safety in Mines Research Board bought the site in the 1920s. Over the years various HSE related functions have been moved to the site.

The British Approval Service for Electrical Equipment in Flammable Atmospheres is located nearby.

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

.....I also have memories of attending a pop festival somewhere up there, with bunkers visible around the site. However the vagueness of the memories may be for a totally different  reason.

Buxton Raceway is next door. That holds various events. There are plenty of bunker remains in the area.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bunker,_Health_and_Safety_Laboratory_-_geograph.org.uk_-_161298.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Informative/Useful 3